Losing Weight to Join the Army

Options
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, but I have been a member in the past. Right now, I'm looking to lose around 50lbs so I can re-enlist in the Army Reserves. I left the Army two years ago, and I've basically missed it ever since then. It was a back and forth decision for a while because I left due to bad leadership.

I'm looking for anyone else looking to lose the same amount of weight, or perhaps already in the army to motivate me. Thanks!

Replies

• RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to join the Army too, (The Royal Army) already been to selection once and failed so trying to get my fitness upto scratch too as the competition is very high.
  • splutschak
    splutschak Posts: 17
    Options
    I am looking to lose 50+ if you would like to add me. I have always wanted to enlist in the service and my weight has always been the ONE issue. I would see the recruiter then start a huge diet plan and do good then suddenly quit a few weeks later and every time I lose weight I gain it back plus some.
  • JessieLynne5566
    Options
    I am looking at trying to lose 77lbs, so i can join the Army as well. The weight is coming off nicely for me. The only thing that i find that rather sucks in the lack of someone to talk with about it. You know like share ideas, motivate one another. The one person i could rely on for this, well she is lacking in some serious motivation.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm also losing and plan to join the national guard. 22 pounds to go
  • brianc410
    brianc410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, but I have been a member in the past. Right now, I'm looking to lose around 50lbs so I can re-enlist in the Army Reserves. I left the Army two years ago, and I've basically missed it ever since then. It was a back and forth decision for a while because I left due to bad leadership.

I'm looking for anyone else looking to lose the same amount of weight, or perhaps already in the army to motivate me. Thanks!

I'm in the process of losing the weight so they don't throw me out!
  • skillywig
    Options
    the royal army lol never has it been the royal army
  • fish1552
    fish1552 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I'm not in any longer, but I'm like you and I actually miss the structured lifestyle of the Army. I hated the constant travel and only staying home for 3 months before going somewhere (all pre-9/11) which is why I got out after 8 years.
    I would recommend you either look for a local fitness group in your area. We have a local running group here that meets every morning. Or maybe a local CrossFit gym since they seem to be popping up all over. After just a few Crossfit workouts I was hooked! The positive atmosphere is just something I've never seen in any gym before! Or just do something like we used to do for PT in the mornings - get out and let the others help motivate you to help lose that weight.
    I always said the best thing about the Army for me was that the First Sergeant was my motivation since I had none of my own to get my butt to work out. Maybe find a friend who can fill that role and make you get out even when you don't want to? It works for me at the fire station too. When myself or my workout buddies "just aren't feeling it", a good ribbing, or "GET IN THE GYM B***H!" seems to work. LOL There is something to be said about having the decision made for you!

I also am in day 2 of owning my Fitbit Flex wrist band. And I gotta admit, seeing how little I actually walk on my days off is surprising. The past 2 days I've found I went somewhere with the wife and step-son to get school supplies and told her I would be back shortly and just walked a few laps around the inside of the store just to reach my target of 10k steps. I even take the dogs for walks more often. You may even want to consider something like that or the Jawbone or some other brand of device. I know Fitbit data can be shared with the MyFitnessPal site so that was also a plus for me.

I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
  • PammyGift
    PammyGift Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    the royal army lol never has it been the royal army

I believe this gentlemen is from England. So yea Royal Army
  • ricwar25
    ricwar25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ye he is English and ye too us it is known as the British Army. I am ex army served 7 years. and since I left I piled on weight cus I didn't have to do fitness but now I have decided I need to lose that weight. Well good luck to you all trying to join the forces.