Weight loss help?

Options
I've done healthy calculations for my age and weight. I'm currently 215 pounds, and I need to be at 135. My calculation was that if I were to lose 1.5 pounds a week for a year (that's 52 weeks times 1.5 pounds a week) I'd lose 78 pounds by next august. I just need help with these calculations. 1.5 pounds is reasonable and achievable, I just wonder if I'm doing it right. Every day for 6 days, I jog on the treadmill at 3 mph, with a 2.0 slope for a half a lap. Then, I slow down to 2 mph and set the slope to 4.0 for the other half. I do this until I've reached a mile, or 30 minutes time. I burn approximately 150 calories or more doing that, as I continue my diet. My calorie goal on this site for 1.5 pounds a week is 1,345 calories a day, but I only consume about a 1,000 or 900 depending on how I feel. It says that this will detriment my goal, but I sincerely believe it will not. Will working out like that and staying a wee bit under my calorie goal let me achieve this weight goal? Thank you for the kind help.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've done healthy calculations for my age and weight. I'm currently 215 pounds, and I need to be at 135. My calculation was that if I were to lose 1.5 pounds a week for a year (that's 52 weeks times 1.5 pounds a week) I'd lose 78 pounds by next august. I just need help with these calculations. 1.5 pounds is reasonable and achievable, I just wonder if I'm doing it right. Every day for 6 days, I jog on the treadmill at 3 mph, with a 2.0 slope for a half a lap. Then, I slow down to 2 mph and set the slope to 4.0 for the other half. I do this until I've reached a mile, or 30 minutes time. I burn approximately 150 calories or more doing that, as I continue my diet. My calorie goal on this site for 1.5 pounds a week is 1,345 calories a day, but I only consume about a 1,000 or 900 depending on how I feel. It says that this will detriment my goal, but I sincerely believe it will not. Will working out like that and staying a wee bit under my calorie goal let me achieve this weight goal? Thank you for the kind help.

Everything is good except the food. You need to eat your goal, or you're looking at plateaus, metabolic damage and a whole host of other complications. It really is bad to be that far under your goal. If you are feeling full, just add a bit more calorie dense options throughout the day.

Also, make sure you're logging honestly and accurately. Use a food scale. Getting the diet on track and eating the right amount consistently will be the keys to your success.
  • silverburk
    Options
    Being that far under your caloric goal may work for a while, but after a while you will plateau and your body will start to hold onto what you put into it, basically "starvation mode". It'll become harder and harder and harder to lose weight and if you do lose weight it won't be good healthy weight. You should eat atleast 1200 calories. Consider eating more calorie dense foods like MoreBean13 said. Nuts, whole grains, etc. All good stuff. Good luck.. :)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    While your intentions are great, you are honestly going about this the wrong way. I understand having a long road ahead of you, but you need to break it down into chunks. At 215, your first goal should be losing 20 pounds within the next six to twelve months, then tackle the next 10% weight loss. As for your calorie intake, you absolutely need 1200 calories minimum just to survive. My problem is like yours, when counting calories I tend to stop eating, on top of not feeling hungry. Now, on top of having hypothyroidism, my body is holding onto everything because I tend to not eat. A realistic goal is to try to lose a pound a week, which can be achieved by dropping 500 calories a day. You can do this entirely through exercise (good luck with that one) or a combination, or entirely with food. I am currently doing a combination along with seeing a nutritionist to help me with my eating problems. Trust me when I tell you, you do not want to be where I am at where you have sabotaged your body to the point where you need medical help to lose weight. Good luck with your weight loss, and I cannot stress the importance of taping yourself for those weeks where you will lose inches instead of pounds.