How Do You Talk To Yourself?

Options
For those of us who are at times too hard on ourselves:

http://www.life-with-confidence.com/talk-to-yourself.html

An excerpt from the article:
" I’ve decided to start running again. It's one of those things that it's been a long time since I've done it so I have to start from basically the very beginning again. The problem comes when I start comparing myself to others. I think I “should” be able to run further or faster. Why? I’m in the shape I’m in and I’m slowly but surely improving every time I lace up my runners and get out there. I need to go at my own pace not someone else’s. As soon as I start to compare myself with others, I end up feeling stressed and disappointed in myself. The smarter thing to do would be to compare myself with how far I've come. When I first started, one minute seemed like a very, very long time. Now, I can run much further than that. It's almost hard to believe that I struggled with one minute. That's what's important. Not how much further or faster someone else can do it."

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    I only think and talk to myself in a positive manner, you should never beat yourself up with negativity on how you didn't achieve something you thought you should have, or something someone else can do. If you're seeing results and understand your body, you KNOW that you will progress, it's just a matter of time. Don't sweat the specifics, if you're doing hard work, eating right, and pushing yourself as hard as you can -- the rest follows on its own.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The only admonishment I give myself is "I CAN do it."

I often repeat, "I can, I can, I can and I will." Throughout the day. My mother was pretty hardcore on positive speaking and we were never allowed to utter the word "can't" as children. If we did then we would be treated to her most favored quote:

"Can't never could and never will."
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I only think and talk to myself in a positive manner, you should never beat yourself up with negativity on how you didn't achieve something you thought you should have, or something someone else can do. If you're seeing results and understand your body, you KNOW that you will progress, it's just a matter of time. Don't sweat the specifics, if you're doing hard work, eating right, and pushing yourself as hard as you can -- the rest follows on its own.

It's been all too easy for me lately to fall into the "I'm just not good enough" trap. I have long beat myself up over the slightest thing. Only in the past couple of years have I really begun to get out of this way of thinking and to think and talk to myself in a more positive way. Some days, especially lately for some reason, I've been slipping back into very negative thoughts to and about myself. I needed to find some words of encouragement and enlightenment to break through the negativity and start seeing myself and talking to myself in a positive manner always. Thank you for your advice. :)
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    The only admonishment I give myself is "I CAN do it."

I often repeat, "I can, I can, I can and I will." Throughout the day. My mother was pretty hardcore on positive speaking and we were never allowed to utter the word "can't" as children. If we did then we would be treated to her most favored quote:

"Can't never could and never will."

You're mother is a very smart lady! It is my goal and dream to be more positive and to expect the same of my six-year-old son, who uses the phrase "I can't" all too often for my liking. I'm hoping that by improving my own self-talk, I can help to improve his, even if only by example. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will try your mantra next time I'm faced with a challenge. :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - I give myself a lecture at least once a week in order to get my workouts in. You should see my dog when I am talking to myself LOL
  • Julesaf
    Options
    I tell myself I'm almost about 10-15 times per day. And I believe it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    How do I talk to myself? I sometimes was mean. for instance "you dummy, put THAT back on the shelf, you don't need it" "WHAT are you doing!!?!! you idiot." I have gotten to the point where now it is more "Good for ME, I walked right past it" and other little things like.....just a few more minutes, I Can do this! I have learned over time to be more positive in my thinking. I AM good enough. I keep telling myself that and well, I am starting to listen to me.

Before I lost the major portion of my weight I always thought I was not good enough, not pretty enough, not smart enough. Heck, what am I saying? I thought that way before I put the weight on! It just got worse as the weight came on. I was a shy introvert growing up.

I am still learning how to be an extrovert.....I'm getting better at it.
  • Julesaf
    Options
    Um, I tell myself I'm AWESOME, not almost. haha
  • tennies
    Options
    i will tell you YOU ARE AWESOME, you have done great for yourself and dont let someone tell you or think any different. im very proud of you, keep up the good work, nd dont get down on yourself
  • nehptune
    Options
    It's been all too easy for me lately to fall into the "I'm just not good enough" trap. I have long beat myself up over the slightest thing. Only in the past couple of years have I really begun to get out of this way of thinking and to think and talk to myself in a more positive way. Some days, especially lately for some reason, I've been slipping back into very negative thoughts to and about myself. I needed to find some words of encouragement and enlightenment to break through the negativity and start seeing myself and talking to myself in a positive manner always. Thank you for your advice. :)

thanks for posting this! i've been going through something similar of late. i only ever seem to be ultra-critical of myself and not applauding myself for what I have and am still achieving.

funnily enough, when i was practising yoga on a regular basis (2-3 times a week), i was much better at living in the moment and accepting myself.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options

thanks for posting this! i've been going through something similar of late. i only ever seem to be ultra-critical of myself and not applauding myself for what I have and am still achieving.

funnily enough, when i was practising yoga on a regular basis (2-3 times a week), i was much better at living in the moment and accepting myself.

Thanks for the tip! I think I may try to practice yoga a little more regularly to see if that helps. :)
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I talk to myself a lot. I thought my personal trainer would think I am nuts but he told my husband it's fantastic because as I am training and struggling I am there saying out loud 'come on you can do this' xxx
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    I talk to myself a lot. I thought my personal trainer would think I am nuts but he told my husband it's fantastic because as I am training and struggling I am there saying out loud 'come on you can do this' xxx

Oh I'm sure some of my neighbors probably think I'm crazy some days, while I'm out running. There are those times when I must push myself to keep going, and I do the same thing... "You can do this." "Keep going." Anything to keep myself moving! :)
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one lol! xxx