Daily sugar and carb intake...help!!!!

Options
:sad: Somebody....anybody....please tell me that you know how I can fix this! I am trying really hard to stay within the guidelines set in my food diary. The problem is that even though I may fall well within the daily caloric limit, I am constantly going over either the sugar, carbs or both. OK I will admit I do have a love for sweets....cake, cookies, ice cream you name it. To substitute I try to eat fruits and other low calorie snacks but somehow the things that I choose are very high in sugars. Do you have any suggestions for good snacks that will take care of my sweet tooth without sending me into a sugar shock?

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Try something like sugar snap peas (or other sweeter veggies) or substitute in some sugar free treats like jello.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same. If I eat a piece of fresh fruit it seems to use up most of the sugar grams for the day.
  • jacksonalan
    Options
    You may want to look into a low carb/no sugar type diet. It'll take a while to lose that 'sugar jones'... but once you lose it, you'll feel better. Cut out the pastas, breads and juices and go easy on the fruit. Snacks like fresh broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or a bagged cole slaw mix will fill you up. I'll snack on cheese, pepperoni sticks, hard-boiled eggs, etc.

I was a carb-a-holic (Doritos, Cheez-Its, etc.) Don't miss them at all.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Great topic! Well...this is kind of what I do...I eat yogurt, or better yet, if you can get vanilla flavoured greek yogurt and add berries YUM YUM (better for you that regular flavoured non fat yogurt)!!! I find the plain greek yogurt way too tart...which does not help the sweet tooth. :love:

Chocolate, dark is best...and decent quality chocolate that does not have sugar added. It take a little getting used to, but start with 60 or 70% cocoa and ease into it :)

Gelato instead of ice cream!! Or better yet, sherbet or sorbet!! Hey, if you have to indulge...it shouldn't be all pain!!:happy:

As for carbs, I limit mine to no more after lunch. I know it sounds hard, but it isn't really. And the weight is dropping! No rice, potatoes or pasta for dinner, and NO BREAD! :noway: I load up on veggies (as much as I want) and a piece of meat the side of my fist and I am full. I stopped snacking at night, but a cup of tea, or even a nice glass of wine will often carry me through the night.

So, I may never get a medal for the perfect diet, but I tell you it is working. :bigsmile: Also, I just had a big bowl of steamed green beans with a tablespoon of sweet chili sauce on top (you can get at grocer). Yum Yum and it is sweet AND good for me. If you can avoid packaged and processed foods you are 80% there!!!

Best of luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Try something like almond milk...you can add stevia and a little vanilla extract for a "milkshake" with fewer carbs. Also, check out sugarbusters...it's basically a Type II diabetic diet so it really details low glycemic (therefore low carb and sugar) foods.

Good luck!
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are some great low sugar recipes and snack ideas here on Jorge Cruise's Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/jorgecruisefan
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Try something like almond milk...you can add stevia and a little vanilla extract for a "milkshake" with fewer carbs. Also, check out sugarbusters...it's basically a Type II diabetic diet so it really details low glycemic (therefore low carb and sugar) foods.

Good luck!

That reminds me! My husband makes protein shakes with a banana, frozen fruit and milk. It is like a milk shake, very creamy and good for you!!!
  • lindzbindz
    Options
    My go to secret is popcicle brand no sugar added fudgecicles! they are the best! and they have no sugar, only 1 gram of fat and only 40 cal in one! im telling you they are a must have!!!!
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love Stevia (all natural no-sugar no-cal sweetener). I add it to my breakfast and have it in natural yoghurt as a snack. Also, if I'm craving something a bit sweet post-meal, I'll have hot cocoa (made just with a teaspoon of cocoa, hot water, skim or soy milk and stevia) and it tends to keep the sweet cravings away!
  • Belinda007
    Options
    Dawn

I think your blog was excellent and just very positive.

Thank you
  • monajkm21
    monajkm21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    wow guys! thank u so much for ur helpful tips....I sure will try every last one because I know that once I kick this carb and sugar habit the weight will basically melt away.