thoughts on diet soda

Options

Replies

• hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind....I'm a paramedic, and we have yet to respond to an aspartame overdose, just saying.

Live dangerously.

LOL Love this!!
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Nasty stuff. Worse than regular. On occasion I will let my kids drink Zevia or Blue Sky but that is very rare as well. The chemicals in diet soda though are just really bad.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I just drink the normal stuff. I might treat myself 1-2 times a week. I'd rather have moderation and have the things I like then switch something that doesn't really taste that great.
  • ssavage76
    ssavage76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There has been some research that fake sweeteners confuse the body. So instead of getting high calorie sugar its getting no calorie sweetener and it can cause the body to react differently to natural sugars like those found in fruit. So instead of breaking down real sugar like your body is supposed to and cause weight gain. NPR did an interesting piece on it a little bit ago. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/11/200488420/do-diet-drinks-mess-up-metabolisms

I personally choose to avoid soda because my teeth are much whiter without it.
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    Diet sodas aka can of chemicals are extremely bad for us! We might as well drink poison.

*sips on a sugar free redbull*

Each to their own... If you don't like the taste I would recommend making them habit, they are bad for us and addictive!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    All the research is showing, more and more, that diet soda is TERRIBLE for you. Google the most recent studies.
    I grew up on Diet Coke. LOVED it. Couldn't get enough. But once I learned that it not only tricks you into consuming more calories, but that it breaks down into all these awful things in your body, I switched to water. That is now my primary drink of choice and after almost 2 months without soda of any kind, I can honestly say I don't miss it all.
    What awful things? Be careful now because you'll be surprised at some truth here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    *grabs popcorn*

But to answer your question, I love me my diet soda and alllll the aspartame that goes with it. It's a nice treat when I have minimal calories left but want something sweet.

Just keep in mind....I'm a paramedic, and we have yet to respond to an aspartame overdose, just saying.

Live dangerously.

LOL! Critical Care here and I have to agree!

That said, OP needs to be aware there is a lot of hidden sodium in those drinks which will make her thirstier. High sodium may cause some H2O retention.
    40 milligrams is considered high?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nasty stuff. Worse than regular. On occasion I will let my kids drink Zevia or Blue Sky but that is very rare as well. The chemicals in diet soda though are just really bad.
    Phenylalaine and aspartic acid bad? Better tell that to breast feeding moms and lots of "good" foods also have them. Maybe time to review chemistry books?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There has been some research that fake sweeteners confuse the body. So instead of getting high calorie sugar its getting no calorie sweetener and it can cause the body to react differently to natural sugars like those found in fruit. So instead of breaking down real sugar like your body is supposed to and cause weight gain. NPR did an interesting piece on it a little bit ago. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/11/200488420/do-diet-drinks-mess-up-metabolisms

I personally choose to avoid soda because my teeth are much whiter without it.
    Unsupported evidence. Weight gain happens from over consumption and not the "confusion" principle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recently watched the documentary "Hungry for change" it has a hokey little side story but interviews with dietitians were very informative. They explain why diet coke will sabotage your diet. It is free on Netflix streaming if you have it. I had a mild (compare to yours) coke addiction. I was able to tame it by drinking co-conut water- unflavored kind. I have no idea why this worked for me and it may not work for anyone else. But coconut water was sweet enough and it had a think consistency that for some reason satisfied my coke craving. Haven't had coke in four weeks now.
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My main drink is water too. Diet coke is empty calories.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is empty calories.

Jesus Ferdinand Christ! :sad:
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add to this is that I found after getting rid of sweet drinks (real sugar or fake) my pallet changed drastically. There are foods I once could not stomach that I like now (mostly green vegetables). I also do not crave salty contrasts to go with food paired with it (like fries or chips) .
  • fish1552
    fish1552 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much about the artificial sweeteners, but there are more and more reports coming out that the Diet Sodas may actually help you retain body fat . While I'm not sure if it is true or not, I'd rather not find out the hard way.
    I wanted to drink more water, but after all the Army forced water stuff and drinking hot water that sat in the sun, I gotta have flavors in my water. :)
    I started on the water flavoring stuff like Mio. 0 calories and I find I drink a LOT more fluids now too. I also figured they are a lot cheaper than Sodas since I get about 8-10 refills for my 18 fl oz water bottle which comes out to about .35-.50 cents per bottle. Compare that to a $1.69-ish 20 oz diet soda and I'm loving it. And the good part? I make them very weak around workout time and stretch them even more.

And I'll back up the others that said their taste changed after giving them up. While I still crave my favorite desserts, I had a sip of my wife's Mountain Dew the other night and it was just sickly sweet to me now.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My main drink is water too. Diet coke is empty calories.

Wait wut?

Is this a joke?
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You don't need a crutch. Cut all sodas as soon as you can. Replace with real freshly squeezed fruit smoothies you'll feel energy boost. Give your body something great!! Drink lotsa water.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I say pick your poison. If you're trying to adopt healthy eating habits and you find drinking diet soda helpful then I see no problem with having some. However anything with artificial ingredients should be used in moderation in my opinion. There is research that suggests that the artificial sweeteners fool your body into expecting calories and then when you don't get them your appetite increases. I have not read the published research myself though. Water with some citrus is refreshing and cleansing and I have come to love it. Plain seltzer with some juice splashed in is a good alternative to soda. Good luck!
  • jewel22887
    Options
    I gave up all soda I only drink water, and the occasional wine and I felt better. I have not had a soda besides gingerale when I am sick in 6 years and now I never crave them.

But honestly if you enjoy it and you drink it in moderation more power to you. We all have our little things that make us happy. I eat ice cream and cookies when I can fit them into my calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's Drink I sometimes have as is coffee, tea and water. That's it it's nothing more and nothing less despite what the haters say. If you want to stop drinking it fair enough but it's no magic nirvana to losing weight and is not the reason why you are fat either.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try nice cold water with a squeeze of lemon in it for 30 days and see how you like it. You can always change later.