Is my protein intake too high? + FAT LOSS article

Options
So, the link below is an article a good friend sent to me. He is a professional body builder, very knowledgeable when it comes to sculpting your body, work outs, and nutrition. I had asked him how to lose fat and tone your body, because that's what I'm trying to do and I'll take all the help I can get.

https://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/how-to-create-a-fat-loss-diet/

I've been sticking to the guidelines in that article for 10 days now and have lost 3 lbs. I've read a few other topics on here before that mentions the same protein intake, but if you let this app/site set your goals, it only sets my protein to 40g. If I manually change it to 40% its at 135g (where the article suggests it should be) but then carbs and fat get adjusted automatically and I'm over almost every day. But I'd like to think I eat healthy, protein powders, yogurt, raw fruit and veggies, very lean home-cooked meat. Its actually difficult for me to get to 135g protein daily, if I drink 3 protein drinks a day, I feel so full all day, and it takes away almost half my calories for the day so I can really only eat a meal and a half of healthy foods. My food Diary is public incase that would give you any more info for tips, but can someone tell me what's better? The goals myfitnesspal suggests, or this article? Or maybe in between, how would you go about setting up custom goals.

I'm 135 lbs, 5'8" and have stubborn belly fat that's lingered my whole life as I was overweight most of my childhood. I can't get it to go away!!! I'm 23 yrs old, I started at 138 and after the first 5 days I was down to 133.4 somehow (but it keeps fluctuating up), but I was hungry most of the day. I think before I started logging calories and watching closely the proportions I was eating, I could have been eating twice as much as I do now. So it took a week or so for my body to get used to eating the amount I do now. But now my body stays full at this amount.

Any tips, suggestions, or friend requests welcome! :) Please help! I'm confused.

Replies

• JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No, your protien intake is just fine if you're lifting weights and doing any METCON workouts. I'm at 210 and my protein intake is generally in the 245-255g range per day. I recommend you calculate your TDEE on another site (there are several...just google it) and subtract 10% to set a reasonable calorie goal that includes your daily activities and exercise.

After getting your TDEE, set your calorie goal to that number and stop logging your exercises (or log them, but set them to only burn 1 calorie) so the website won't keep adding exercise calories. You can then change your protein and carbs to 35-40% each and your fat will calculate itself.

When are you eating? Ideally, you'd look to have an eight to ten hour window each day where you eat each day and fast the rest of the time. (For more on intermittent fasting, consult leangains.com.) Also, you'll want to make sure you eat about half your daily carbs right after your workout so you don't store the energy as fat but store it in the muscles as glycogen instead. (Google Carb Backloading, or CBL)

Stick with a plan like this for several weeks and see what improvements you make. It could very well be that any weight gains you're seeing are actually muscle gains. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn each day, so that belly fat will go away soon enough.

Lift hard. Go heavy.

~Jeffers
  • ZRac3r
    ZRac3r Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, JeffersJJ you answered all my questions :) Im stoked, and understand now. Thanks so much!
  • JorisSt
    JorisSt Posts: 36
    Options
    If you have a High Protein intake ALWAYS make sure to drink alot of water.

If you dont have enouf fluids you can have kidney problems or other medical problems!
  • Sagit775
    Options
    That's good to know! I always knew that it's extremely important to hydrate yourself when exercising and trying to lose weight, but I didn't realize that it affected the kidneys. Thanks for the info.

For more info on losing weight check out http://weightandfatlossresults.com .