Had a bad weekend...how do I rectify?

Options
Basically I had jaw surgery last Wednesday so I was limited in what I could eat and to be honest, I didn't want to eat anything! The only things I craved where sugary things like Ice cream and melted chocolate etc.

My Dad (being so lovely) got me an Indian take away on the basis the curry is soft etc and I ate WAY too much, especially as I hadn't really eaten anything for a few days. The next night was a similar story with another fatty take away.

So basically, I am now out of my 'rubbish food' craving stage which I have been told is normal after surgery and morphine etc. But I am terrified about weighing myself this Friday. I have put myself on a stricter diet in the respects of having a balanced breakfast, soup for lunch and a small dinner with no fun extra's apart from a cup of tea.

Is there any way I could rectify the damage I've caused without being unhealthy or do I just need to accept I had a bad weekend and start a fresh? I know this is probably a stupid question but I am just really disappointed with myself and not feeling all that good about myself with my swollen bruised face lol.

Any advice would be a great help - or even a reality slap that I need to get on with it :-).

Thank youx

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I really wouldnt worry about it too much, you've got the rest of the week to put things right, eat healthily, get some exercise in and drink, drink, drink plenty of water, you'll be fine.
    Take care
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a bad weekend, this weight loss journey you are on is exactly that - it is a change in your life style, everyone is entitled to have a treat from time to time, (i ate a whole packet of cookies the other day!) just keep your chin up, don't think of it as a mistake. Just carry on with your healthier life style and don't worry about the things that have happened in the past.

xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no fun extra's apart from a cup of tea.

a cup of tea is a treat? really?
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't worry this happens to everyone, just get back to your normal healthy eating routine. Just don't try and go crazy healthy and restricting to compensate for the weekend as you may crash and burn. Just see it as a blip rather than the diet starts after it
  • romany1963
    Options
    You are not alone! Sorry to hear you've had jaw surgery... Pretty painful, I would imagine. Don't beat yourself up - we all have bad weeks - in fact your post made me feel better, as I spent 3 days at my parents' home last week and was fed to within an inch of my life, and so I have lost zero lbs since my last weigh-in. Just determine to keep going and don't let one blip spoil your long term goals :happy:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the healthiest approach is just to accept what happened and start fresh. I mean honestly, think about it.
    I hadn't really eaten anything for a few days.
    Okay, by not eating or even if you just ate way less than normal, you most likely created a larger deficit.

By "bad weekend," I'm assuming you over ate on two or three days. Now why don't you do this:

1)Look at what your normal daily goal is and multiply it by 7. This is the amount of calories your supposed to eat in a week to lose the set amount of weight you selected when setting your goals.
    2)Look at what your normal weekly deficit is. (1lb per week = 3500, 2lb per week = 7000)
    3) Add the number you got in step one with the number from step 2. This is the amount of calories you need to eat in a week to maintain your weight.
    4)Now, add up all your calories from the last seven days.
    5)Is it more than the number you got in step 3?
    -No, then you will still lose weight. It might be slightly slower then normal, but you should still lose.
    -Yes, then you have a minor set back. It might take you a week or two longer to reach your goal than if this week hadn't happened. Will it have a major impact? No. Will it make it impossible for you to continue further? Only if you let it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just follow the routine you usually do for the week. It will be fine.
    You may have indulged for a couple of days, it happens, forget about yesterday, and continue on the path that you have set for yourself. It is a life long journey, with ups and downs.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally if I have a bad day or a weekend I try to forget about it rather than rectify it.

If I start pushing myself harder at exercising or eating less calories to even out the week total I end up under eating and burnt out which usually results in me being too tired to cook healthy and do my usual exercise.

You can't change what you did yesterday so just start today fresh, it's a new day. What is done is done and if you eat well today and for the rest of the week you will still have done 5 great days vs 2 days of eating some rubbish.
  • WishfulThinking2013
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice, I definately feel better and a lot more optimistic!

I guess it's easy to think your the only person who has a binge!

And thanks @ Shadow2Soul - That is a really good way of working it out, I struggle with that side of things so thank you for laying it out for me! I have saved that for future reference :-).

xx
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I never try to "make up" for a binge...it just makes it worse for me and makes me crave the junk. Just get back to your normal diet. Don't try to cut extra calories.