thoughts on diet soda

Options
124»

Replies

• kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    My main drink is water too. Diet coke is empty calories.

Wait wut?

Is this a joke?

It's gotta be! :noway:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    0 calories? I'm in.

I drink it religiously.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    0 calories? I'm in.

I drink it religiously.

Every day.
  • PrayerOfHeart
    PrayerOfHeart Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's called erosion. This means that wind is poisonous, too?
    How can anyone defend any kind of cola, really? Acid is acid. Don't go and mix up two different things! Maybe it is tasty, but I know why my teeth get all squeaky, and it's not because of water...
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Honestly I guess it depends what works for you, however bear in mind that all the sweetners and aspartame are terrible for you, not just for health and as carcinogens but the sweeteners actually still cause your insulin levels to peak, causing you to keep storing fat so the whole "diet" part of it is wrong, even though it says no calories as your body sensing the sweet taste is expecting sugar. Obviously the normal stuff is just as bad with all the corn syrups and other crap. Sugar is just the worst thing for you but it's so hard to cut out! Try and gradually cut down on it too, or you could swap it for soda water or some other fizzy/non fizzy drink with out sweetners.

I used to use sweeteners when I was baking for the whole no calorie thing but I've thrown them out now which was actually quite hard. It's difficult to get that whole no calorie idea out of your head.
  • PrayerOfHeart
    PrayerOfHeart Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah, let's stop breathing oxygen, lol. You know, that hydrogen and oxygen together is not only water, but also are part of air you breathe?
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My main drink of choice is water. Always has been. So my personal thoughts are I don't get the love. I can't stand the love of artificial sweeteners. They are all gross to me. I also don't get the addictive like obsession diet soda drinkers in my social circle seems to have. It's right up there with coffee drinks. Which I admit I don't get them either. I just don't understand being "addicted" to a certain beverage. Except for water, I do not have a beverage or food item I "have" to drink/eat on a daily basis.

Scientifically, I think the jury is still out. Diet Coke debuted on Aug 9, 1982. I'm not sure 31 years is enough time to really know what the long term effects are yet.

As far as weight loss. Calories in, Calories out. If you want diet soda, go ahead. I just don't get why one needs or wants to have it daily.
  • tinethebean2
    tinethebean2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had a diet coke addiction for the last 15 years I have not found that over the last year it has hindered my weight loss goals but I haven't had any for the last 7 days and all I can say that I have noticed is I am not as bloated as I was so I'd say if it helps drink it and just concentrate on your goals you can always deal with it when you want to hope this helps
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also apart from you're health and weight it's so terrible for your teeth! I think it's good to get into the habit of drinking more water. I only drink water or different teas, like green tea or fruit teas, but that's not for everyone.
  • kmruse
    kmruse Posts: 19
    Options

Just keep in mind....I'm a paramedic, and we have yet to respond to an aspartame overdose, just saying.

Live dangerously.

hahaha!!! *makes note - no need to worry of aspartame overdose*

It is an entirely personal thing and if it helps you then drink it. I try to drink squash if I want a cold drink as I am getting water into my system at the same time. There have been lots of debates about sweetners in drinks and it is thought that asparthame is dangerous and banned in America yet still available here. Even full fat drinks like Fanta has asparthame in it even though it is not a diet drink..... I try to avoid asparthame as I do not wish to risk getting any of the issues associated with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Honestly I guess it depends what works for you, however bear in mind that all the sweetners and aspartame are terrible for you, not just for health and as carcinogens but the sweeteners actually still cause your insulin levels to peak, causing you to keep storing fat so the whole "diet" part of it is wrong, even though it says no calories as your body sensing the sweet taste is expecting sugar. Obviously the normal stuff is just as bad with all the corn syrups and other crap. Sugar is just the worst thing for you but it's so hard to cut out! Try and gradually cut down on it too, or you could swap it for soda water or some other fizzy/non fizzy drink with out sweetners.

I used to use sweeteners when I was baking for the whole no calorie thing but I've thrown them out now which was actually quite hard. It's difficult to get that whole no calorie idea out of your head.
    Actually aspartame doesn't cause insulin to peak. Sucralose may make it rise a little according to one study, but several others haven't confirmed that.
    And sugar in moderation is fine. ALL sugars are broken down to it's simplest form in the body and that includes sugar from fruits and vegetable. If it was as bad as you're making it sound, then should vegetables and fruits be deleted from diet?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I looove Diet Coke. I prefer it to regular pop.... However, I have no opinion about how good or bad it is for you.
    All I know is that I was drinking too much of it and not drinking water and I was so dehydrated that the fitness tester at the gym couldn't get an accurate count of body fat because I was too dehydrated.
    So I decided to switch out pop for water.

Do I feel better now? Yes! But I attribute that to being properly hydrated!
    Do I crave diet coke? Sometimes! There's some sitting in my fridge... And I have to tell myself daily that I don't really need it. Save the pop for a rare occasion where I need to mix it with rum or when I have guests over!
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to kick my diet soda habit as well. It's SO hard to do. I've drank diet soda for years. I never drank tons of the stuff, but maybe a glass a day, basically with lunch or dinner. Pizza and diet soda, yum, sandwich and diet, yum. But this week I've been sticking to crystal light, and only had diet soda once! Yay. If you're in the right mind set, you can do it! :)
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it as a treat once in a while. It's delicious!
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you! It's a hard habit to break. A lot of people crave something with carbonation; you could try soda water or sparkling water with flavored stevia drops or lemon/lime. It's easier on your teeth and doesn't raise your insulin!