Help! I need suggestions to up my fiber intake

Options
I need any and all suggestions to increase my fiber intake. I try but can usually go no higher than 10g even though I shoot for 20g/day. I do not want to take supplements because I need to do this thru diet not by taking a pill. I had lap band surgery so I do eat small meals on average 1000-1200 cal/day, I eat well- lots of protein and some fruit and veggies. I can't tolerate things like fiber one bars because they sit too heavy, but otherwise I can eat just about anything.

Just looking for suggestions please :) so no need to criticize my surgery as I am healthy and well and continue to do all the things that people who lose "the right way" do.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• youngtweezy
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Clusters is a delicious cereal, honestly. It also has 51% of your daily amount of fiber with only 200 calories (including skim milk). You should try it.
  • Chrystiner
    Options
    benefiber has powder packages that are tasteless, i use those in different drinks or on top of salad. Also if you use splenda in anything they have the splenda package with fiber :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great way to get good fiber! I buy canned, no-salt-added black, garbanzo, kidney and pinto beans almost every week. Beans are my favorite fiber source because they tend to be higher in protein than grains. Quinoa is a great grain that is high in fiber and protein (compared to most grains) and also lentils are technically a legume, but not quite as bean-like as typical beans - very high in fiber. All of these are pretty inexpensive, if cost is an issue. I am going to start buying my quinoa from the local health food store, where they sell it in bulk for much cheaper than the prepackaged boxes/containers.

Feel free to take a look at my diary - I usually get 25-35 g per day without using supplements or processed foods/product like Fiber One.

Edited to add: eating fruit/veggies with the skins on them (apples, pears, potatoes, etc.) are a great way to increase fiber, as is adding nuts/seeds (flax seed is great!). They're not as concentrated in fiber as beans, but I try incorporating a variety of all of this so that I get my fiber from different sources - this is considered the best method.
  • abbracadabra
    Options
    I could probably mix a half serving of cereal with my greek yogurt, that would definitely help to stay full longer along with my protein! Thanks.

Didn't really think of the splenda+fiber, but it's a possibility maybe with plain yogurt. I don't drink more coffee anymore so really not much use for splenda :(
  • jenn1ferb
    Options
    Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidant chocolatey peanut butter bars. 130 calories/bar, high in fiber, and they taste good! :)

Here is a link if you would like to check it out.

http://www.kelloggsfiberplus.com/ChocolateyPeanutButter.aspx
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get most of my fibre in the morning, probably close to 10g just from breakfast. I usually have some oatmeal or a bowl of cereal
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal instead of yogurt? Beans instead of chicken? Check out hemp powder as a supplement. It can take some getting used to, but I really like its nutty taste and it adds a lot of fiber.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat carbs (whole wheat bread, spaghetti, rice, cereals) are good sources. They even make double fiber bread. Beans are also great, and of course lots of raw fruit and veggies (though it looks like you are doing good there!). I do better some days than others, but you are welcome to check out my diary as well.
  • joebranzell
    Options
    CHIA SEEDS, The best thing you can put in your body, plus they do great for weight lose
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates; apple slices, avocados, bananas, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts. tried to think small since i know your intake is different. also nuts like almonds, brazil nuts and cashews.

good luck!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I always exceed my recommended daily fiber intake. I looked back over my food diary, and some of my highest items (some were already suggested by others) are:

*a large apple (around 200g) = 6 g. fiber
    *a 1/2 cup oatmeal= 4 g. fiber

I make my oatmeal on the stove top with a cup of almond milk and a serving of raisins. It is delicious! 340 calories and 7 g. of fiber

I also use an airpopper for popcorn and a serving of 3 tbsp. unpopped seeds becomes 6 cups of popped popcorn = 7 g. fiber
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I could probably mix a half serving of cereal with my greek yogurt, that would definitely help to stay full longer along with my protein! Thanks.

Didn't really think of the splenda+fiber, but it's a possibility maybe with plain yogurt. I don't drink more coffee anymore so really not much use for splenda :(

I just read in a health magazine that mixing ground flax with yogurt increases the benefits of fiber in flax and the probiotics in the yogurt. It's a combo that works better together. If yogurt is already a staple in your diet, it's not too hard to add some ground flax...
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I agree with the seeds and would add beans and lentils. The black beans are lovely to scramble with onions and garlic as if it were ground beef. And Kidney beans are great texture and take on flavors easy. Both are high in protein and iron and fiber.
    Congratulations on getting healthy. Some people need the extra help ie: surgery, especialy if they are in constant pain. I have two friends that have done it, but unfortunatly they didn't adopt a healthy lifestyle of good food and exercise after and have gained their weight back. I am so glad that you done so well, and changed your mind and diet over to a healthy lifestyle.
  • k1979k
    Options
    Fibre supplements like Benefibre or Metamucil aren't too bad as far as 'taking a pill' goes, I don't think. Probably better to use them and increase your fibre than not use them and have problems.

Another option is psyllium husk. It is totally natural however unlike the supplements mentioned above, which dissolve totally in liquid, it needs to be added to food (it doesn't dissolve). You could sprinkle it on your breakfast, add it to a smoothie, put it in yoghurt, add it to cooking, etc.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Indian Chicken (from the Crockpot Lady) has 10g of fiber in a 1 C serving, and it's SUPER tasty. I follow her recipe exactly (though I've added yellow lentils, split peas, red lentils, etc., to the brown she used, based on pantry contents, and I add extra curry powder and cayenne at the end.) I've had this every day for lunch for two weeks, and am ready to have it again, and again....
    I eat it plain (no rice, no torilla/wrap).

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/10/indian-spiced-lentils-with-chicken-slow.html
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Here are my suggestion (and I didn't feel like reading the other posts):

-peanut butter
    -apples
    -broccoli (tonsssss)
    -yellow and green squash
    -bananas
    -salad
    -wheat thins
    -Healthy Choice steamers have lots per meal
    -carrots
    -celery
    -asparagus
    -Hummus (has tons)
    -tortillas
    -!00 Calorie Oreo bars
  • mccurdy
    Options
    Here are some ideas that work for me. Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed to your cereal or yogurt for 4 grams of fiber. If you eat salads add a whole single serving can of sliced beets, only 70 calories but you get 4 grams of fiber. The best option is to eat an Asian pear everyday, only 116 calories but you get 10 grams of fiber. Hope these help.
  • angiereid
    Options
    DR OZ'S ULTIMATE SMOOTHIE

Just in case anyone is interested in gettin in their daily fiber i came across this drink on one of his shows i have to say it is not the best tasting but it certaintly is not the worst. one drink gives you about 45% of your daily fiber and guess what all the ingredients showed up on mfp so here it s hope you like it

1. 1 cup of apple juice (or whatever you like but try and use no added sugar)
    2. half of banana (or 3/4 cups of berries)
    3. whey powder 2tbs (i like vanilla)
    4. flaxseedground 2tbs
    5. psyllium husk (fiber) 1 tbs
    6. chia seeds 1tbs
    7. wheat germ (keep refrigerated after opening) 1 tbs
    8. 600mg fish oil (break open capsule and put in drink)
    9. 3 ice cubes(optional)

* i get about26 grams protein
    * 18 fiber
    * about 406 calories
    * 10-11 grams of fat

* all is at a healthfood store hope you like it!!!!
  • diandrew46
    Options
    You can have a half a cup of all bran cereal with fiber one yogurt and you will have 15 grams of fiber.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    DR OZ'S ULTIMATE SMOOTHIE

Just in case anyone is interested in gettin in their daily fiber i came across this drink on one of his shows i have to say it is not the best tasting but it certaintly is not the worst. one drink gives you about 45% of your daily fiber and guess what all the ingredients showed up on mfp so here it s hope you like it

1. 1 cup of apple juice (or whatever you like but try and use no added sugar)
    2. half of banana (or 3/4 cups of berries)
    3. whey powder 2tbs (i like vanilla)
    4. flaxseedground 2tbs
    5. psyllium husk (fiber) 1 tbs
    6. chia seeds 1tbs
    7. wheat germ (keep refrigerated after opening) 1 tbs
    8. 600mg fish oil (break open capsule and put in drink)
    9. 3 ice cubes(optional)

* i get about26 grams protein
    * 18 fiber
    * about 406 calories
    * 10-11 grams of fat

* all is at a healthfood store hope you like it!!!!

That sounds really good - one note, though - I've read that it's generally better to try and spread your fiber consumption out throughout the day. If you get most of it at once, it's a little tougher on your digestive system. Especially anyone who is increasing their fiber intake, they'll want to do it somewhat gradually and make sure they spread the fiber out, otherwise it could be an uncomfortable adjustment period. :ohwell: