Stronglifts 5x5 help :D

Options
Hi,
I've been doing weights on the machines, and I've basically made arrangements to be shown how to use the free weights(scary area with loads of grunting beef cakes....) by an instructor..

i want to start the stronglifts 5x5 program, but i want a simple explaination of it to hand to the pt.

ive never done free weights before, and i've read the pdf file (omg not the whole thing, its goes on and on and on.. but most of it, . ) and watched some of the vids... i'm assuming i do for instance with squats, i do 1,2,3,4,5 then have a break, then 1,2,3,4,5 and continue till i do this 5 times...
other questions ....warm ups what do i use? ? how heavy do i start with ?

xox

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good summary here on mfp:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Another summary:

http://hardgainernomore.blogspot.com/p/sl-5x5-workout.html

Generally start with the bar, except for deadlifts and Rows. If you can't do the bar, then you might have to start with dumbells.

Mike
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fan of 3 sets of 10 reps. Works for me.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Another summary:

Generally start with the bar, except for deadlifts and Rows. If you can't do the bar, then you might have to start with dumbells.

Mike

bars 45 kgs hey.??... hmmm i probbably can do that for squats, i am at the moment doing leg presses, 74kgs 12x3.. but squats are different, and its whole body thing... thanks for the advice, i will check out the links :)
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bars 45 kgs hey.??

45 *lbs*.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I've always been a fan of 3 sets of 10 reps. Works for me.

:happy: apprently smaller reps at higher weight is what builds muscle... from what i've read, and people having success with stronglifts... so trying this for me

i was going to try the New rules for lifting for women, but it sounds awefully complex... this 5x5 isnt as its basically 5 different work outs, thats it... seems simplier... we will see.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    bars 45 kgs hey.??

45 *lbs*.

ohhh ok 20.4 kgs then... hmm ok.. thanks :laugh: i read 45 somewhere, and automatically went oh kgs!!!
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options

Another summary:

Mike

thanks for the info, ive printed those both out :flowerforyou:
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    if you have an iphone, there is an app for 5x5. It even does a rest timer as you log away. I just started tonight so ill have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    if you have an iphone, there is an app for 5x5. It even does a rest timer as you log away. I just started tonight so ill have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

thanks nah i have a samsung... looked on the app store already, found one you need to plug in all the info., might just stick to paper and pen :)
  • kdsteelez
    kdsteelez Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Regarding warm ups, the StrongLifts program recommends:

Warm up 1 = 1x5 using 33% of your working weight
    Warm up 2 = 1x5 using 33% of your working weight
    Warm up 3 = 1x3 using 66% of your working weight
    Working weight 5x5

Only exception is deadlifts:

Warm up 2 = 1x5 using 66% of your working weight
    Working weight 5x5

Of course, when first starting with the barbell only, it's hard to reduce the weight by 66% and 33%, so just use the bar for warm ups until you start lifting enough weight to be able to use the percentages.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the Icecreamfitness novice 5x5 over stronglifts 5x5.

There is a video on youtube where Jason (from ICF) talk you through the whole routine.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Regarding warm ups, the StrongLifts program recommends:

Warm up 2 = 1x5 using 33% of your working weight
    Warm up 3 = 1x3 using 66% of your working weight
    Working weight 5x5

Only exception is deadlifts:

Warm up 2 = 1x5 using 66% of your working weight
    Working weight 5x5

Of course, when first starting with the barbell only, it's hard to reduce the weight by 66% and 33%, so just use the bar for warm ups until you start lifting enough weight to be able to use the percentages.

:indifferent: Oh joy..... maths... :tongue: thanks for that... yep just the bar to start.. which is like 20kgs... my legs are pretty strong... my arms however (i actually have muscles!!.. who knew.... thanks machines... but i'm off to free weights...) are pretty weak... like hmm 14kgs, on some things is as far as ive gotten... but i'm on 74 kg on the leg press... squats are gonna kill me though :flowerforyou:
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I'd recommend the Icecreamfitness novice 5x5 over stronglifts 5x5.

There is a video on youtube where Jason (from ICF) talk you through the whole routine.

thanks i will have a look...