Runners/Walkers advise about mean dogs on a rural road

Options
I live in the boondocks and run on different roads a lot. Yesterday I decided to do my long run on a road I have never run on. I have biked there and knew of a dog I didn't trust. So I took a vary small can of pepper spray with me. I got to the house and that dog came bolting at me like it wanted to kill me. If I didn't have that pepper spray I don't know what would've happened. I never got it directly in the face but close enough to hold it at bay while I walked by it (never turning my back to the dog). I actually used up the pepper spray and was thinking "ut oh". I made it by but with no spray left I had to go way out of my way. I made it home but it messed up my run. This was at mile 1.5. I'm new at running and was wondering what some more experienced runners do in this situation. Any one else have this kind of stuff happen?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Are there any laws in your town about keeping dogs on leashes or at least contained in your own yard? If so, call animal control and see if they can take care of the issue without hurting the dog. Owners who have to pay fines often do something to fix the problem.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad you're ok! I've been able to walk my way out of most dog confrontations so far, but I was bit on the arm last week by a dog that was on leash and restrained but broke through its owners grasp. Have you called animal control or the cops to report the incident? The dog you are dealing with sounds like a real danger. The authorities should be able to work out who the owners are and make sure that they understand that their dog cannot be let to harass or attack people passing by. Good luck and stay safe!
  • heyydanie
    heyydanie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Call animal control. I used to walk on a rural road to work, about 1.5 miles, and was bitten by a dog on my way there one morning. Most towns have laws stating that a dog has to be in sight of the owner at ALL times, if not on a leash. Animal control will usually give the owners a warning first, then they'll take action from there if it happens again.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've been rushed by large and aggressive dogs while out walking my little dog, and so far the Voice of God has worked to get them to back off...it also usually brings the owner running when they hear me shouting "HEY! NO! GET BACK!".

But just in case I carry a stun gun like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ShockTEK-Defense-TEK-8-Million-Volts/dp/B00BN81HCI

Just the sound of it alone makes dogs scatter. It would also come in handy in cases of irate dog owners or assorted creeps.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Get big, stand still, and be as "scary" as possible. A loud, firm "NO!" is your best defense if you don't have pepper spray or a gun.

I live in the country when I'm in the US. There is one big black lab that runs out close to the road and barks... but is not otherwise aggressive.

There are smaller dogs that run out into the road an nip at my heels. They're easy to kick out of the way.

If there were any bigger dogs that were aggressive, I'd call animal control. If that fails, I'd probably take along pepper spray. After that, a handgun. I know that approach isn't well-accepted, but people shouldn't have to live in fear of unmonitored animals in their neighborhood.
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You all answered about the same as I was thinking. I'll call today, and buy a bigger can of spray :wink:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    I once had a device that emits a loud high pitched beep (above hearing range for humans) when the button is pressed. I used it occasionally for hiking in the countryside. It did cause dogs to back off.

I bought it at the shop run by the bird protection society, catering to bird watchers. There were warnings on the machine not to point and press at humans. I guess that was because even if the frequency is out of range for human hearing, it might still be loud enough to cause ear damage.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    The ultrasound device was called Dazer.