Very frustrated & starting to get depressed

Options
I started last month to take this seriously because I was so depressed from not fitting into my clothes. I am running again (actually training for a half marathon), hitting up the gym, I even signed up for this crazy bootcamp class. I'm eating WAY better than I was before (no more eating whole pizzas, chicken tenders every day for a week, plus eating absurd amounts of candy, cookies, etc.). I actually think my diet is pretty clean right now. I have days where I do overeat, but no one can be perfect. Maybe I'm eating too much....

I'm really becoming frustrated (almost to the point of discouraged and depressed) that the scale has actually said I've gained weight and I have lost no inches. I'm tired of looking in the mirror and having to actually see I have made no progress.

Some advice? Look at my food diary?

Any bit of encouragement, advice...would really help :cry:

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you actually been tracking your calorie intake?

Eating clean doesn't mean you aren't overeating. Try weighing and measuring your food and actually tracking the calories you're ingesting and then see what kind of results you get.
  • kslatta
    kslatta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm only been working at this seriously for a few months, and I DO see a difference. Some days I'm depressed for the same reasons you are, but then I look around me on this website and see that it is possible to change, one little bit at a time. Just log your foods for a while and get used to keeping track. Hang in there! It's a life-long process, not something that we win or lose at in one month or so...

You can do it!

Kimberly
  • thoma450
    thoma450 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and measure everything I eat...I guess when I say eating clean, I included measuring/weighing the food (sorry)
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    Keep fighting, this isn't easy but when you get there it is very gratifiying. Make sure you are being honest with yourself, are you working out hard enough? Are you logging absolutly everything? Can you do more? Be the person you want to be, don't settle for less.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and I do not believe 1 size fits all. So take a look at your numbers and maybe play around with it. some. I found that if I eat what was recommended to me, I would usually gain weight and not lose it. So I eat a little below (not a lot mind you). I try to make every calorie count without totally taking anything out of my diet.

What ever you do, do not give up. You do not fail until you quit. This is a journey to a new you and sometimes we have to try different paths to get to the goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    did yo uput all the weight on in a month? no? then yo uwont get it off in a month either!

there are 3 things you need for weight loss; to eat less, move more and be patient!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have a food scale and measure everything I eat...I guess when I say eating clean, I included measuring/weighing the food (sorry)
    You said you "might be" eating too much and that you "overeat some days."

Sounds like you're eating too much.
  • Anonymouse7704
    Options
    Maybe your overestimating exercise calories! Nearly 1000 is a lot to burn in a day, maybe eat back 50-75% of what MFP says you burned
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    MFP is likely overestimating the number of calories you burn during exercise, so you may want to think about only adding back half of the calories it says you burned into your daily total.

It can be discouraging when you don't see results, but the key to this weight loss journey is consistency, accurate record-keeping, and adjustment. For at least 5 or 6 weeks, you should be consistently hitting your net calorie goal. If after those few weeks you haven't lost any weight/inches, or in fact you've gained, take your net calorie goal down by a little bit and experiment with that level for a few weeks (trying to be as consistent as possible every day). Continue experimenting, always for several weeks at a time, until you find what works for you.

Good luck!
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but looking at your diary you pretty much eat back all your calories lost from exercise too.
    I know most people here say you should eat it back but I find that only eating half of my calories back tend to make me lose weight.
    My food calorie allowance here is 1200 calories but I eat 1500 when I can. I usually log about 1000 calories lost from exercise.
    Just find a food intake that makes your body lose weight. Hope that makes sense.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? Sedentary, lightly active, etc?

What is your weight loss goal? 1lb a week? Or more/less?

Are your calorie burns based on MFP estimates, or a heart rate monitor?

Adjusting your activity level to sedentary and logging all activity based on readings from an HRM will be most accurate.

If not able to play with the numbers, in the first instance you could not eat back half of your exercise calories and see how that works for you.

Be patient.

Do you feel better generally? Because that is worth much more than weight loss and inch loss.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you're going to the gym often maybe you're gaining muscle? You might not actually be losing weight but you should see a visible difference when looking in the mirror.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So I glanced at your diary and you eat a lot of processed, somewhat high in sodium foods and very litttle fruits and vegetables. That might be part of the issue.

And you may very well be eating too much in general. Not everyone has the same basal metabolic rate and while some women can eat 2,500 calories a day and maintain or lose, we can't all do that, regardless of how much we're exercising.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd average my calorie intake over the past couple of weeks, set my current calorie goal to 100 or so less calories than that average, and not eat any exercise calories back. This got me out of my weight loss funk. Good luck!
  • Busymomof003
    Busymomof003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. A couple suggestions.... take them or leave them. I don't know if it will really help! But I wouldn't eat all your exercise calories... Just in case they're not accurate. I would also eliminate oatmeal and oatmeal products. I know it's a healthy 'whole' grain, but my husband went through a period where nothing was much different but he couldn't drop weight at all... and his breakfast of choice had changed to oatmeal. Also, juice is just sugar, unless it's tomato juice- it's just a shot of sugar for your system. It' looks like you don't drink too much at any time, and maybe it's your way of eliminating soda or something, in which case that's a positive step... but one to maybe eliminate in the future. Also, a doctor who was telling my all about MFP recommended I weigh my meat before it's cooked and add that weight to my tracker. So 3 oz of uncooked chicken will then be about 2.5 oz of cooked meat. I don't know how you do it, but that can be hidden calories we're not aware of. HTH!
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary, I can see that your calories are high, protein is WAY to low and carbs are to high. Need to get your macros in order.

Stick to around 1800 calories regardless of your calories burned (for a more specific goal you need to calculate your TDEE), at least .8 grams of protein per poun, .4 grams of fat per pound and fill the rest with whatever. Lower the carbs and you can see faster results (at least in some people).
  • franklinsmom
    franklinsmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any results for a while using MFP. I did two things that helped me begin to see results:

1. I got a heartrate monitor for working out. I found that MFP was over-estimating my calories burned big time. I love being able to really track what I'm burning off (or what I'm NOT burning off!).

2. I stopped eating back all the calories from working out.

The change is slow, but I keep telling myself: If I keep going, I WILL see results.
  • rml_16
    Options
    .8 grams of protein per poun

.8 per kg, not pound. Some say 1 per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, which is not the same as per pound.
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You skipped a lot of days logging in July. Log every day, every bite.
  • vikingpower80
    Options
    Keep after it! When I started I was coming off a shoulder injury and had to change my entire workout idea..much less my attitude. That was almost six months ago. The same kind of thoughts started crossing in my head..how will I get down to where I want to be? Will I EVER get there again and still be as strong as I was? Well I stuck it out and as of today I'm less than a pound away! If you believe you can achieve you will...yes it's hard, most things worthwhile in life are. Mix your workouts...vary your cardio...keep it interesting.