Choosing cereal

Options
I haven't eaten cereal in a couple of years because I was lactose intolerant for awhile. Before that I didn't care about eating healthy. I am wanting to try cereal now because I'm getting bored with breakfast. What's a good healthy cereal that tastes good without having to add sugar or something?
Thanks for your help!
~Melissa

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten cereal in a couple of years because I was lactose intolerant for awhile. Before that I didn't care about eating healthy. I am wanting to try cereal now because I'm getting bored with breakfast. What's a good healthy cereal that tastes good without having to add sugar or something?
    Thanks for your help!
    ~Melissa
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nature's Path ~ Flaxplus granola... it is naturally sweet, and it has omega 3's & 6's that you would find in fish, bc of the various seeds it has... I put it in my yogurt every morning or just with milk.... so good
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to bran flakes and - calories withstanding or not - I don't like anything sweet for a cereal. Most people would probably say they suck, but I love 'em. Browsing the shelves lately, I see there are lots out that are similarly low in calories and probably taste sweeter.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have to ask,
    Because you are lactose intolerant ...How are you going to eat cereal. I would think that it would bother your tummy. :frown:
    If I do not eat an apple with a cup of yogurt...
    I eat fruit and oatmeal in the morning. I make it with water and skip the milk.
    Not because I can not drink milk, See Yogurt above, but because it is lower in calories that way.:wink:
    I find it rather filling, and I think it tastes the same. That will take me to my first break at 10:00AM where I eat more fruit. :love:
    Then that takes me to lunch where I steam Veggies and some tuna. Or just a salad.
    That takes my to my 3:00 break, More fruit. I see a pattern here. :heart: (Diann is a fruit lover.):heart:
    which takes me to dinner that we try to eat by 7:00 everynight. (I heard on Oprah, from Dr Oz, that you are not supposed to eat after 9:00 at night.)Though there are times that it does not work out that way. :ohwell:
    It is more veggies and Chicken, or fish, or pork, or shrimp.
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Nature's Path ~ Flaxplus granola... it is naturally sweet, and it has omega 3's & 6's that you would find in fish, bc of the various seeds it has... I put it in my yogurt every morning or just with milk.... so good

I love that stuff! Had it this morning. Hope you don't like too much in the bowl, because they are higher in calories than flakes or Os type cereal - lower than granola though.

Cheerios regular is a good choice as is shredded wheat - plain kind of both, nothing added to shredded wheat.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Shredded wheat with hot milk. I also like shredding an apple and putting it in a saucepan with a little water and boil it until really soft, add some cinnamon and splenda, then make your oatmeal as directed in the same pan. UUMM good.
  • mshunk
    mshunk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cheerios - Yogurt Brust (I like the Strawberry) has 160 calories with the milk, and it tastes yummy....If you are not lactose intolerant anymore, the milk tastes like strawberry milk after the cereal is gone and you don't add anymore calories : )
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I have to ask,
    Because you are lactose intolerant ...How are you going to eat cereal. I would think that it would bother your tummy. :frown:

--Diann...
    I used to be lactose intolerant four years ago. I got pregnant and during the second trimester I was able to have dairy products again. That was 2 years ago. As long as I have it in small quantities then I can have dairy. Ice cream some times upsets my stomach depending on what kind. I shouldn't be having it anyway.

I bought Kashi's Almond/Honey cereal I think. The only cereal I could find that didn't have sugar as one of the first three ingredients. I hope it's good! Thanks for all of your suggestions!
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Fiber one is great. One serving is only 60 cal.:love: I know awesome huh. If I am really hungery I dont feel bad about eating 2 servings. There is a few different Fiber ones but you have to look and pick out the right one. Plus it of course from the name it has a ton of fiber which will help you lose weight. Hope this helps.:drinker:
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    My absolute favorite cereal is Kashi Go Lean Crunch. It's a granola type cereal but has extra nutrients and is high in fiber, low in sugar and high in protein. I love a crunchy cereal and this one satisfies that. I do make sure that I measure out how much I have because it is a bit higher in calories than some others but the other qualities make up for it I think.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Fiber one is great. One serving is only 60 cal.:love: I know awesome huh. If I am really hungery I dont feel bad about eating 2 servings. There is a few different Fiber ones but you have to look and pick out the right one. Plus it of course from the name it has a ton of fiber which will help you lose weight. Hope this helps.:drinker:

Fiber One is awesome. I eat it dry (don't really like soggy cereal) or with a lightly steamed apple cut into bite-size pieces. Lots of fiber also keeps you full. I rarely use cow's milk. I love the unsweetened BlueDiamond Almond Milk or lowfat unflavored Soy milk. Skim milk does have less calories, though, than Soy.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Usually have shredded wheat with banana and skim milk, and I admit with a little splenda. But am looking for something different myself, so maybe I will try fiber one for a change. Sometimes its just yorgurt with homemade granola.
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    lol 'nother Fiber One fan here :laugh: At first the shape of it was offputting (reminded me of meal worms :noway: ) but I like the high fiber content + low cal + good taste so I got over it and eat it everyday now with yogurt and fruit :heart:
  • ryanorr
    Options
    I will second the Kashi Go Lean but I prefer the High Fiber and High Protein type. Each box of Kashi Go Lean has an easy reference of Protein-Fiber-Fat and the one that I prefer has 10g of fiber, 13g of protein and only 1 gram of fat all in one whole cup with only 140 calories, pretty good figures! Sodium is also very low (Only 85mg). Good luck!
  • yenn2
    yenn2 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Kashi Go lean CRUNCH too !! It doesn't have blueberries in it like it shows on the box tho :) I eat it with soy milk every morning and it's very filling and sweet and has protein !! Can't beat it. Kind of tastes less like granola and more like that puffed rice, IMO.
  • Furpaws
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean and Go Lean Crunch are on the top of my cereal list. Uncle Sam is also good.
    I use Silk Soy Milk - Vanilla (enriched with calcium) instead of moo-cow milk. :drinker:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Most days, I have a bowl of Quaker instant oatmeal at my desk (maple + brown sugar is 170 cals, raisin spice is only 150). Some days, to switch it up, I pour a container of Yoplait vanilla yogurt (170 cals) over fresh fruit (berries are the lowest in cals, but frozen cherries <thawed> or a banana is good, too).....the great thing about this particular vanilla yogurt is that it tastes like you are eating cheesecake for breakfast, but it's healthy! :love:

For cereal, I am a traditionalist.......I don't like "hard" cereals......corn chex, Post raisin bran, Total, and cheerios are my "default" cereals. I add a teaspoon of sugar (20 cals), or some fresh fruit.
  • tracyhavey
    Options
    For me, some reason I won't measure cold cereal. But I will measure when making oatmeal and Egg Beaters. I'll boil the oatmeal water with a banana in it till it's mushy then add the oats. The oatmeal seems less boring, and if I'm looking for extra flavor I'll sprinkle cinnamon on the top. 1/4 cup oatmeal flakes, 1 small banana and 1/4 cup Egg Beaters = 190 calories and that is enough carbs. to keep me satisfied for no snacking til it's time to eat a late lunch.
  • shabby4
    Options
    I love Smart Start - very high in fiber. I think it is the best tasting and still very nutricious. I thought I was lactose intolerant and was eating it with light soy milk for a while. Very good! I was also doing bran buds for a while with dried cranberries to add some sweetness. Worth a try!

I also love to eat the Weight Control oatmeal. I get hungry when I eat cereal in the morning but always feel full for a long time when I eat this oatmeal. I recommend that too to mix things up.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals. I started with the heart to heart, it is like cheerios only healthier. I gradually started adding the GO LEAN kashi with the almonds and honey and then from that to the regular GO LEAN. These are high fiber, high protien, low sugar cereals that taste great!