5:2 diet question

Options
First of all, I've been on here for about a month, and I am slowly but surely beginning to see results!
However I'd like to trim up a bit faster so I can start my new term at uni with a bit of confidence, so I'm thinking of trying the 5:2 diet for a month or two.

My question is, on the fast days, do you have to NET 500 calories, or is it that you can only consume 500 calories in general? for example, could I eat 1000 but burn 500 off?

also does anyone have any views or stories of this diet?

Emma

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The book is called The Fast Diet, it's available and Tesco for something like £3.

I suggest you get that and read it rather than the interpretations of people that haven't read it that seem so popular on these forums
  • iyerritsegan1
    Options
    The book is called The Fast Diet, it's available and Tesco for something like £3.

I suggest you get that and read it rather than the interpretations of people that haven't read it that seem so popular on these forums

• lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It is not a quick fix, one pound a week is the average loss. Fast means restricting calories not fast weight loss. It works for me and I am happy with the results.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It 500 cals, not including exercise. I'm on it and it works well for me. You may want to post on one of the 5:2 message boards because on the main board a lot of people who know nothing about it like to comment negatively. Also, I have the book but it isn't a requirement. The author has a lot online about the plan.
  • iyerritsegan1
    Options
    It is not a quick fix, one pound a week is the average loss. Fast means restricting calories not fast weight loss. It works for me and I am happy with the results.

Thanks, I do get that its not a quick fix, but I think it would work faster than what I have been doing, as I have been having quite alot of "cheat days" and they have been slowing down my weightloss.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting

Here is the link to the 5;2 support group where you will get answers to your questions from likeminded people.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It 500 cals, not including exercise. I'm on it and it works well for me. You may want to post on one of the 5:2 message boards because on the main board a lot of people who know nothing about it like to comment negatively. Also, I have the book but it isn't a requirement. The author has a lot online about the plan.

I second the idea about joining the 5:2 and intermittent fasting forums to learn more.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's 500 calories and no eating the exercise calories back. Like everyone said, it's not a quick fix, it's a complete lifestyle change.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a lifestyle change. There are many health benefits to be had and the two 5:2 groups on here are very helpful. I have also gone to the website, watched the documentary, and bought the book, so I think I am informed enough about the plan to answer your initial question which is twice a week, non-consecutive days (but your choice), you consume 500 calories. On the other five days you consume a normal, healthy diet, not going overboard but not being too restrictive either. The goal is to improve health generally and the weight loss is a bonus. I have to say, in my case, the weight came off very quickly the first month and then tapered down to a steady loss every week, sometimes a lb, sometimes only .2 or .4 but the weight came off and I know it's gone for good. I hope you find your answers.
  • iyerritsegan1
    Options
    I agree that it's a lifestyle change. There are many health benefits to be had and the two 5:2 groups on here are very helpful. I have also gone to the website, watched the documentary, and bought the book, so I think I am informed enough about the plan to answer your initial question which is twice a week, non-consecutive days (but your choice), you consume 500 calories. On the other five days you consume a normal, healthy diet, not going overboard but not being too restrictive either. The goal is to improve health generally and the weight loss is a bonus. I have to say, in my case, the weight came off very quickly the first month and then tapered down to a steady loss every week, sometimes a lb, sometimes only .2 or .4 but the weight came off and I know it's gone for good. I hope you find your answers.

Thanks alot, I was only really confused about whether it was 500 net calories or just 500 calories flat out, but I understand now. I've joined the support group and I'm hopefully going to give it a go next week!