Makes no sense but it worked

Options
I went camping for the last 4 days. No working out, nothing to eat but chicken hot dogs with buns, hamburgers with buns, chips and margaritas. I should have gained 10 lbs. I gave myself permission to have these 4 days off even though the guilt of not working out Killed me. I came home and weighed in today and im down 3 lbs. WHAT!

don't get me wrong im happy I didn't gain, but baffled how this happened. I barely moved from the chair in front of the fire, ate, drank and sat and how does this happen.

I know I have been over training terribly and my body needed the break but Im truly confused.

anyone?????

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you didn't track your intake from your camping trip, there is no way to know how many calories you took in. Having said that, I find that when I am camping, I don't eat nearly as much food as I do at home. I think it's the heat.

Also, I peaked at your diary and went all the way back to July and found not a single morsel has been logged. How long was this camping trip?
  • shelliemacs
    shelliemacs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    sorry, I got annoyed with logging everything and just do it in a notebook because sometimes I cant get to the computer.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    When you work out, your muscles hold on to glycogen and water stores. Taking a few days off from working out allows your muscles to relax and release those water stores. When you start working out again, the water weight will most likely return.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i dont know what your camping trips are like, but mine are a workout. we unload the truck, set up the camp, go on hikes, gather wood, jump into icy cold streams, explore, swim, play. in june my son and i made a rock dam across a creek that was wayyyy more of a workout than my regular weight routine. we are prepping for a trip this coming weekend and im getting tired thinking about it! maybe you did more than you realize, in the woods even doing the dishes is a huge ordeal, lol.
  • PrayerOfHeart
    PrayerOfHeart Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you did stick to your workouts and good diet before this trip, I only theorize, but it is possible that your metabolism is still working as fast as those 4 days before you stopped doing exercises and eating healthy. Your body just got used to your daily routine, I guess. Like in physics - inertia. :D But don't get used to it! Start doing your usual again.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    This is Common - stress can make you gain weight (or loose in some cases)..... many people find that when they have a break for a few days they still have a loss..... i believe that its down to not stressing about it all..... just a theory...

I went camping for the last 4 days. No working out, nothing to eat but chicken hot dogs with buns, hamburgers with buns, chips and margaritas. I should have gained 10 lbs. I gave myself permission to have these 4 days off even though the guilt of not working out Killed me. I came home and weighed in today and im down 3 lbs. WHAT!

don't get me wrong im happy I didn't gain, but baffled how this happened. I barely moved from the chair in front of the fire, ate, drank and sat and how does this happen.

I know I have been over training terribly and my body needed the break but Im truly confused.

anyone?????
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I know I have been over training terribly and my body needed the break

there you go....
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

there you go....

Ditto - I always find that after a few weeks of training heavily and then taking a break the scales are at their lowest after the break.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

there you go....

Yes, if you hadn't lost weight in the days preceding your vacation, you may have been due for a loss and the rest gave your body permission to release the pounds you had been working off up until then.

Of course we should not look at this and say, "hey, I lose more weight when I DON'T workout, so I am going to be a slug from now on" lol, but yes, our bodies need time to rest and recover from heavy exercise.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Rest is when our bodies repair themselves and get into balance. Rest days are critical. You obviously needed it.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also I find if I over eat OR over exercise, it takes my body a week or even more to 'catch up' with what's occurred. So it might be in a few days' time that you see the effect on the scale.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    sometimes when your routine changes, you will lose weight..
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i dont know what your camping trips are like, but mine are a workout. we unload the truck, set up the camp, go on hikes, gather wood, jump into icy cold streams, explore, swim, play. in june my son and i made a rock dam across a creek that was wayyyy more of a workout than my regular weight routine. we are prepping for a trip this coming weekend and im getting tired thinking about it! maybe you did more than you realize, in the woods even doing the dishes is a huge ordeal, lol.

exactly what I was thinking!