If you had/have a 100lbs to lose, when did people noticed?

Options
I would like to lose 100lbs total (need to really lose 95 to be considered a healthy weight) It is going very slow for me, and I've lost 25 so far and no one seems to notice yet. To be honest I can't really tell other than I can fit in smaller clothes. How far in to your weight loss before people could tell? I'm going to keep going, but I am looking forward to someone actually noticing!

Replies

• debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm at 20 ad no one can tell :sad:
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It seemed like forever before people noticed. I think it took 30-35lbs for people to take note. Only a handful at work noticed but those who see me at the gym noticed more i think because some of my gym clothes are looser. Just keep going and measure yourself if you need. What really made me notice were pictures. I took thos pics of just me in my undergarments and although that SUCKED i'm glad I did because i can see the difference. good luck!
  • kilroy317
    kilroy317 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and no one has noticed my loss either. I have though and really that's all that matters. I really like the way I've been feeling and the sense of accomplishment I have. I know at some point people will notice and when that happens the pressure will really be on to continue this journey! I know the feeling of wanting others to notice now, but we just have to be patient. Hang in there!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you carry your weight, alot of people noticed when I lost 20 pounds. I carry all my weight around my tummy. The best notice was from a friend I hadn't seen for a year. I saw her at the local market and said hello, she looked at me like I was crazy and went to walk by me....then her jaw dropped and she couldn't stop saying omg, omg, omg!!!! It was priceless!
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was at 40 down before anyone said anything. Now at 51 down I am starting to get a lot of comments.

I read something a while back that called it the paper towel effect. When a roll of paper towels if full you have to remove a lot of towels before the roll looks smaller. The smaller the roll, the fewer that need to be removed to notice it looking smaller. The same thing with weight...the larger you are, the more you need to lose before you see a difference, the smaller you are, the more easily you notice a 10 or 20 pound loss (or gain).
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It took me buying new clothes that actually fit for people to notice.
  • kevinphallus
    Options
    Every time I buy smaller clothes I get more comments. I wore the same clothes for a long time because I'm cheap and once I couldn't stand it anymore, I bought new stuff and it looked like the weight fell off overnight.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My mom and dad noticed at around 15 pounds. No one else has said much of anything.
  • SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    30 lbs and people started to notice...close friends and family started to notice around 25 lbs. At 45 lbs, people really started to gush over the loss saying things like "Oh my gosh! You are looking amazing! You've lost so much! How are you doing it!" That's been really fun... :-)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most people haven't said anything to me without me saying something before. I think because I had lots weight before and gained it back people don't really want to say anything. If you've been in the same boat don't worry they are noticing they just might think it's better to leave you to it.
  • Badjinn
    Badjinn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's how you carry it. I started working out and my family has already noticed, and I've only lost 6lbs. But the park it at toning not weight loss.
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the only thing that matters is that you know and notice, this weight loss journey should be for you and about you not others...you can lose 100 hundred pounds and someone will still refer to you as "fat" please your-self in your weight loss not others.
    Good Luck!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I feel like as soon as I hit around the 30lb mark people began to notice. I was getting frustrated and then one day I had about 5 compliments in a row!
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    I've lost 35 or so and I have had probably 2 comments and one of those people was my stepdad who knew I was trying to lose weight and it was after my mom told him I lost 35 pounds (and I told my mom I lost that weight I don't think she noticed). I always have worn looser clothing, most of my weight is in my stomach and thighs. I also don't think I appeared as big as I was at one point. I'm sure if I told my husband I was once 275 pounds he would be pretty shocked. But don't get me wrong I still look huge, lol. I figure now, that it will just be that much better when people can recognize my hard work. Although I feel pretty awesome and that itself is a reward. Plus I love that I am much more athletic and I am doing things I never thought I would do (fitness wise) and I love it!

*Edit. I have 126 pounds to lose and lost 35 so far
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My SW was 263. I was down to about 220-230 when I started getting comments and questions about it.
  • kev32uk
    kev32uk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've to lose 80lbs to get to my supposed ideal weight but it's only now people are really starting to notice after losing 49lbs but i found buying clothes that fit began to show a difference. It's a slow progress and sometimes hard but it's soo worth it to get that praise from people when they notice.

Keep it up!!
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It was about 35/40lbs before anyone really started to say anything. I've also had some of the guys at work tell me they noticed but were afraid to say anything since its not really a great idea to discuss a woman's weight with her. I've also noticed that people may not bring it up to me, but if I mention something about not being able to eat a certain food, people will tell me 'yea, I've noticed you lost a lot of weight'.

Keep at it. You are doing great!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Before I joined MFP - I had already slowly lost 75 pounds. It took about 35-40 pounds before those around me commented on it. They would say "have you lost a little weight?" And I would say yes...even though to me it was more than a little weight.

However - if I ran into someone I had not seen in a while, they were gushing at about 25 pounds lost.

Now that I have lost 75 - people are just stunned. And I still have a TON to go. That 75 pounds just got me to under 300 pounds. People cannot believe I weighed as much as I once did (I carry well, so I have been told).

Don't be discouraged - as long as you are seeing it...that is all that matters. And I should note - my wonderful hubby noticed at 10 pounds....he wrapped his arms around me and noticed he was closer to me. Now he does this all the time just to see how much farther he can wrap his arms. It is a nice feeling.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It definitely took me about 30 lbs for people around the office to start saying something on their own about my weight loss. I started noticing it around my face at about 20lbs. My mom and husband said something probably around 20lbs too but of course I was like "yeah yeah". It does feel really good when people come up to you unprovoked and tell you that you look great. I definitely got a boost that day. Don't worry, it's coming:) If they haven't noticed yet they will soon for sure! Oh, and I think it helped that I put on a top that I dug out from the back of my closet that I haven't worn in a few years...fit great so I was feeling great and probably looked better than I had been, therefore people noticed:happy:
    Great job on your weightloss!!
  • marlowg
    marlowg Posts: 6
    Options
    It seemed like it took forever! I've lost 84lbs so far and people are just starting to comment on my weight and how good I look. Other than that my fiance has noticed from the very beginning! (: