NSV: Letting Go

Options
blc1971
blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
This past weekend I finally did something I've never done before...I took all of my "too big" clothes and donated them to charity. I have always stored those things in the past "just in case" I needed them again. And of course, I always ended up needing them again. I took the advice on the MFP boards here from lots of folks who said they got rid of their old stuff so they would have no excuse to go back to their old, unhealthy habits and gain their weight back. So, I took the plunge and did it! I'm not at my goal yet. I still have about 20-23 lbs left to go, but I had so much STUFF just taking up space and I was almost feeling smothered by it. I did get a tiny bit emotional over some of the pieces but I was ruthless! I only kept one pair of jeans that were my biggest for reference. Everything else went into 2 huge lawn trash bags and were immediately taken to Goodwill so that I couldn't change my mind. I will probably have another load of winter stuff when I pull that out of storage! For the record, I highly recommend this. It was a very freeing experience and I felt so much lighter! Good luck to all of you on your journey!

Replies

• PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did too! It feels really good and I have NO PLACE to go now but down. :) Good on ya!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How wonderful and I am so proud of you. I did the same thing last New Years and it is very liberating. I recently had an injury which put me out of action for a couple of months so guess what? I put on a few pounds. But instead of coing out and buying bigger clothers I kicked my butt back into shape so that I could wear my clothes again.

Keep up the good work blc
    :smile:
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I did the same thing last weekend, luckily, for me, we have a plus size consignment shop and the lady bought lots of my clothes and paid me $150!! I donated the rest to Goodwill....feels good, doesn't it?!

NEVER GO BACK!!!!!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the NSV. That's outstanding and it is a HUGE step to give away crutches. You are burning the bridge behind you and that takes confidence and courage. Best news of Monday so far!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Thats the best feeling ever!
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did the very same thing last spring, only I got rid of all of my smaller sizes. I never thought I could lose since I had no idea where to start....

Here I am now with nothing that fits!

I rather do it your way!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've already gotten rid of 6 sacks of clothes. It is good but couldn't help thinking what a massive waste of money some of it was particularly some of my last holiday clothes as I only wore a lot of them once for a couple of hours.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you and yes, it was incredibly liberating! I did stop and think about the waste since many of my clothes were pricey and in great shape, but I felt so much better donating them and hoping they will help someone else look and feel great about themselves. I am really so grateful for all of the support and motivation I have gotten from my fellow MFPers. You guys are awesome and you have made me see that this is all possible! :flowerforyou: Y'all ROCK!!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Grats! I look forward to doing the same!

Enjoy the extra room that you have now <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!