Pouting..want my cheese.

Options
dajero1
dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
Need to lower my sodium intake. What are my alternatives to satisfy this love affair I have with cheese? Who knew it was so high in sodium.

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Need to lower my sodium intake. What are my alternatives to satisfy this love affair I have with cheese? Who knew it was so high in sodium.

Why do you need to lower your sodium intake?
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cheese is fine. Eat cheese. Don't put salt on things and don't get Chinese takeaway every day. Problem solved.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I say eat your cheese and looking at your diary, it isn't your worst enemy. The take out rotisserie chicken for example.

1255605321_shocked.gif
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. But I've learned to limit it A LOT. I only allow myself 1/8 cup in a meal which is plenty. I probably used 3 times that before I started MFP! They only way I can stick to a diet is allowing myself to eat what I want. But everything in moderation!

As far as sodium intake....By reduced sodium broths or make your own, don't add salt when you're cooking, watch your meats! cheaper meats are injected with broth which is VERY high in sodium. for example the store brand chicken breasts have up to 15% broth added...the name brand only has 5%. (those are just the brands they sell at my grocery...)
  • dajero1
    Options
    Blood pressure on the high side. Want to go without medication.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    See if you can find Low Fat Lacy Swiss. It is the lowest in sodium and fat that I have found so far. 60 cal per slice. I used to eat a LOT of cheese but the sodium is crazy!
  • dajero1
    Options
    See if you can find Low Fat Lacy Swiss. It is the lowest in sodium and fat that I have found so far. 60 cal per slice. I used to eat a LOT of cheese but the sodium is crazy!
    Will look for it. Thanks.
  • dajero1
    Options
    I say eat your cheese and looking at your diary, it isn't your worst enemy. The take out rotisserie chicken for example.

Touche
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure on the high side.

A lot of science now is actually going against the idea that sodium has a large effect on CVD or all-cause mortality. Your best bet is to lose weight primarily, as obesity is the strongest correlator.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

1255605321_shocked.gif

:heart: :laugh: OMG!!! that gif is fantastic!!!! I'm sorry OP, I don't have anything useful to add to this thread :blushing:
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ugh. my mom has had to cut most sodium from her diet for the same reasons, and she reacts badly to the blood pressure meds. she is a normal weight, has never been overweight, and has worked out 5 days a week for the past 30 years, just BTW. she puts avocado on everything! everything you would put cheese on. it is fatty and rich and satisfying, though it is not cheese. only cheese is cheese..... sigh.
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,840 Member
    Options
    Try Sargento Reduced Sodium string cheese if you can find it. It's creamy and tasty and only 10 calories more per stick than their Lite.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but try using a stronger type of cheese. Like extra sharp cheddar vs a mild, the stronger flavor allows you to use less and still get the flavor. On salads opt for feta or a blue cheese.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I love cheese as well. I will eat it if I weigh it out and add it to an apple or crackers, unless it's a huge indulgence meal, which is a St. Andre triple cream w/amazing rosemary focaccia and a big beautiful bottle of wine. Then it's just what it needs to be, deliciousness. Maybe once every two months I can do that. Otherwise, besides measuring carefully, I've changed so that my sandwiches have avocado or hummus in place of cheese, and I don't eat the traditional enchiladas, lasagnas, etc. It takes more effort to find replacement options that satisfy, but you can do it.
  • dajero1
    Options
    Thanks all. Reading and taking advice. Low sodium sargento, stronger cheeses like swiss and blue, hummus and avocado on my shopping list. Actually did not know there was a low sodium option in cheese. Have never eaten much avocado, don't know why, never ate it as a child I guess.:smile::love: