How many times can a person start over??

Options
I am yes, starting over yet again. I lost 35 lbs this year only to gain 25 back. Before I surrender my body and my wallet to a personal trainer I am going to try one more time. Ideally, I need to lose 100 lbs. I am still fairly active with lots of hiking and outdoor activity BUT it takes such a toll on me, carrying a small person on my back on me all day and night. Anyway, I have to confess to someone my true weight since I hide it from my doctor and from friends (who always underguess me probably out of sympathy lol). I am 351.5 and so here I go again.

Thanks for everyone's honesty on this sight. I do not feel so alone.

Replies

• 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here's a good quote to digest: When you are sick and tired of starting over, stop giving up!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As many as it takes. =)
  • Makajo2013
    Makajo2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have also started ove quite a few times.....(more than a few)....
    But think of the alternative if we never even tried?
    Just keep plugging along..... you will feel better and then get into it as you lose more weight.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to never stop. If you stop and roll back to the old ways, the weight regain is a certainty. I did the same, slid backwards on the progress bar, now I'm back into it and realizing I need to commit to it as a permanent change.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Here's a good quote to digest: When you are sick and tired of starting over, stop giving up!

Nice quote.

8488541.png
  • livelovelaugh91897
    livelovelaugh91897 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You know I ask myself everyday, but now I'm starting over today. All I need is motivation, and I could do this. I have been restarting for over 6 years, but this time I'm SUPER serious. Also I really love that quote up above. Never thought about it that way. :laugh:
  • MzGoGetIt
    Options
    I think you can start over as many times as needed. Maybe you wasnt fully ready at first and now you're ready to dedicate yourself to becoming healthier. It is mind over matter. You have to do whats best for you and as long as you're doing this for yourself you can do it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :heart: "Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist
    but the ability to start over."

Perhaps think of it as 'continuing where you left off '.... sounds like a positive move to me!:drinker: :wink:

Sometimes we take breaks, might even gain a bit but it's a continuation of the process of getting healthier. You're back to create a healthier life for yourself... nothing ever wrong with wanting to make healthy changes!

I think of everyday as a new start for me, a new chance...:flowerforyou:
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    You start over as many times as it takes.. but what I will say is that you should look at each day as a fresh start. So you went over your cals yesterday.. or didn't log.. well today is a new day to get it right.

Make small goals for that day.. "Today, I'm going to stay within my cal range. or Today, I'm going to drink my 8 glasses of water"

Celebreate the small victories not the perceived failures.

Good luck on your journey. :-)
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I am starting over too. I have been here but have not been putting my all into it. I have gained back 7 pounds this summer. All in the last 2 months. So now my goal is to take off 13 pounds before my birthday.

When I take off that 13 pounds I am going to treat myself to a pedicure.

You keep starting over till you get it. You can start over as many times as you need to until you die.
  • tomoswilding
    tomoswilding Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel - I lost 70lbs a few years ago, and put 42lbs back on over 2 years. I've started again 5 weeks ago and already lost 23lbs. I think a lot of it is being in the right frame of mind and having some drive behind you - for me it was a relationship breakup. I got angry, got determined and got training and dieting.

Find your motivation and inspiration, and realise that you'll only get out of it what you put in to it.
  • JumpingJacs
    JumpingJacs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm back in the grind starting today. I need to lose the last 30 lbs to be at goal. I should have been there by now but, I can't look back. We got this!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes for success. It's like science....a million failures can lead to one amazing success. Also, most scientific discoveries start out by saying "well, that's interesting..."

Don't get discouraged. You only fail when you don't start again.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You start over as many times as it takes to get you on the path you need to be on. "Fall down 7 times, get up 8." Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You can start as many times as necessary. I agree with the previous poster who said if you're tired of starting over, don't quit. Makes sense.

What I want to know is HOW do you hide your true weight from your doctor? The first thing they do when I get there is weigh me.
  • countingthreads
    Options
    :heart: "Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist
    but the ability to start over."

I've started over more times than I can count. I like this quote from someone else - it's a great one to keep in mind. You have good days and you have bad days, but you never give up; just keep on going. God bless.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am yes, starting over yet again. I lost 35 lbs this year only to gain 25 back. Before I surrender my body and my wallet to a personal trainer I am going to try one more time. Ideally, I need to lose 100 lbs. I am still fairly active with lots of hiking and outdoor activity BUT it takes such a toll on me, carrying a small person on my back on me all day and night. Anyway, I have to confess to someone my true weight since I hide it from my doctor and from friends (who always underguess me probably out of sympathy lol). I am 351.5 and so here I go again.

Thanks for everyone's honesty on this sight. I do not feel so alone.

As many times as it takes!!! Try to look at it as rededicating yourself, not starting over. Ever slip up, climb, decline, gain, loss is all part of your journey. The more times you start, the longer you will commit. You can do it. It's not about how many times you fall off the wagon, it's about getting back on and not quitting completely.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    You start over as many times as it takes.. but what I will say is that you should look at each day as a fresh start. So you went over your cals yesterday.. or didn't log.. well today is a new day to get it right.

Make small goals for that day.. "Today, I'm going to stay within my cal range. or Today, I'm going to drink my 8 glasses of water"

Celebreate the small victories not the perceived failures.

Good luck on your journey. :-)

^^^^EXACTLY!!! Pick up where you left off! This is a life long journey for all of us (eventhough there are people who hate calling it a journey). I have fallen and gotten back up so many times it isn't funny but, ya know what, I am not where I was when I started so, I keep looking at that! Yeah, I could be a goal right now but, also, I wouldn't have learned so much nor would I have seen the wrong directions for me to avoid them during maintenance.

This whole process HAS to be for the rest of your life, not just to get to a goal, like I used to think. Once you get to your goal, you'll have to do something to stay at/around goal, right?!?!

We'll eventually get there. Find certain things or people or events and match them with a small goaol of where you want to try to be. My first goal was to lose 10%...my next goal was to get to a certain weight by Christmas, and so on...my new goal is to drop 15 by my class reunion. Smaller goals equal BIGGER results!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I start over every day..The past is gone