ideal body weight

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
how would you come up with your ideal body weight...bmi,.body fat or doctor's recommendation, or go by your own goal

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just chose a number in the middle of the healthy bmi range for my height. And then I blew that out of the water after I transitioned into maintenance. I'm currently 13lbs under my goal weight now :tongue: Now I have a bmi of 19.7 and am at the lower end of the healthy bmi range. I'm just going with the flow at this point lol.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I chose my ideal weight based on the time in my life when I felt the best, health-wise and looks-wise. Of course now I'm a little older so I may not feel the same way, but basically remembering what I felt like at the time is the reason I set my goal :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I started out with a lot to lose and I hadn't been anywhere near a healthy weight for nearly half of my life at that point so I decided to go with the high end of the BMI range for my height. Once I get there, I may decide I'm comfortable or I may try to lose another 5 or 10 pounds.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just chose a number in the middle of the healthy bmi range for my height. And then I blew that out of the water after I transitioned into maintenance. I'm currently 13lbs under my goal weight now :tongue: Now I have a bmi of 19.7 and am at the lower end of the healthy bmi range. I'm just going with the flow at this point lol.

This. I adjusted my goal several times based on how I felt. I am now at my college weight +/- 3 lb for about 2 years, and working with weight training to adjust my body composition. But I feel great and everyone tells me I look fantastic. BMI right at 20.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 18% BF, whatever that weight may be. I'm close, so I think it'll fall around 130ish or the lower end of normal for BMI, and fifteen pounds less than my goal weight. (When I started I had no idea I would love lifting, so I didn't take into account any sort of body recomp - it's kinda awesome!)
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I want to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. So that's my goal weight.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I calculated my body fat percentage and then calculated my goal body fat percentage to determine how much fat I want to lose. The result is that I'll still be out of the healthy range for BMI but exactly where I need to be for body fat!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    body fat % all the way for me. I'm almost "overweight" by my lean body mass alone according to BMI.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    BMI is a good starting point but body fat % is the way to go.
  • Kyllosis
    Kyllosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a healthy BMI to start. I've seen a girl who's the same height as me and looks amazing at my goal weight, so that's what I'm aiming for. :) I might be happy above it, we'll see. :)
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Im not really built like a typical male. I have a much wider shoulder base and a larger ribcage... as my doctor says it I look like a "Linebacker or a Defensive Lineman." 5 years ago i got down to 210 pounds. You could see my ribs and my stomach was flat, and it looked really gross. Like I was malnourished, So we decided that even though a 6 foot 3 male should be about 195-197 pounds or something like that, 215 should be ok. Its more about body fat than weight. I had good blood pressure, good results during my physical. So I think my ideal goal weight is between 215 and 220 pounds. i think that is roughly 97 kg but I would have to check
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been 115 to 215 and I feel best at 137. It's just trial and error for me. Under that my tailbone stings when I sit down and my face starts to look gaunt. Over that my knees start to ache and my hips. I've been this weight at 20% bodyfat and 25% bodyfat and for me that part doesn't make a difference aside from asthetics.
  • dgcuff
    dgcuff Posts: 2
    Options
    i was originally shooting for the middle of my BMI range. Now I'm shooting for something a little higher.

After reading this page, I became concerned that some "ideal body weight" calculations set unrealistic goals:
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I updated my ticker based on the information on this page. It took me awhile to notice that one of the calculations had been invented by the author of the page. I guess the message is to take all numbers with a grain of salt.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I chose mine based on how my pants fit.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was originally aiming for a certain weight/size but now I just go by an ideal (and realistic) body I want (flat stomach, toned arms, ect)
  • HideyoshiKinoshita
    HideyoshiKinoshita Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I chose mine based on my Role Model, Bailey Jay's weight seeing as me and her are the same height and she has a healthy weight.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm not aiming for a certain weight, I just want to look better
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    used a crafty little iphone app which calculated it for me based on sex, age and height, I suppose. am now at lower end of the "normal" range (with ideal weight being bang in the middle) Guess any other method mentioned above does the job too. ;)
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I originally chose my goal weight based on three standards:

- Height: 100 pounds + 5 lbs for every inch abve that (so being 5'5", my goal weight was 125 lbs);
    - BMI: I wanted to achieve the best possible BMI *without* going overboard into the Underweight territory. I thought this would allow me a little "give" in case I slipped up and gained a little bit back (which actually did work for me);
    - The weight I was normally at since I was 18 until I was 38.

The thing was though, that once I achieved my goal weight I didn't look or feel right. Despite eating clean and exercising, I felt frail and looked gaunt. So now I've adjusted my goal slightly to 140. I'm still within the normal weight/BMI range but that's where I'm most comfortable and people aren't asking me if I'm sick!

After three weeks of overindulging myself on vacation, I'm at 144 but; I keep my MFP goals at 125 though to keep me motivated; but that's my own weird psychological trick ;-)
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was 201 when I started a year ago, my goal was 125. I got down to 122 and didn't like it that well so I went back up to 128-130.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!