Ladies over 50

Options

Replies

• KindieND
    Options
    Hello! I'm new, 56, and never had a weight problem until 40ish, menopause and the thyroid thingy. As a teacher, I am relatively active during the day ......makes me frustrated why I keep gaining. So I am READY to start logging food to see where I am making my mistakes (uh, really I already know--lol) and hoping that this will help me keep accountable for my choices and not think "I'll just take a little bit--or I'll start tomorrow......" I do like to socialize--kids are grown up so it's easy for hubby and I to just call up friends and go out to eat..... I do try to make reasonable choices. But being here I know will help even more!
    With a new school year to start, I am ready to make new choices! The last couple years, I have dressed "down" trying to hide, but now I'm ready to update and perk up my wardrobe and feel better about myself. :)
    Let's Do It!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    held steady for most of my adult life - until I hit 48.

The later 40s did me in also !
  • rachelscloset
    rachelscloset Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am so glad I found this today. I turned 50 last November. I lost a lot of weight over two years ago, then had a bout of cervical cancer and thyroid cancer and gained a lot of the weight back. I am trying not to believe the lie that you can't lose weight during menopause. I am starting over again today after being gone on vacation for three weeks. I try to ride my bike 5 days a week and keep my caloric intake below what I output. Hoping to learn a few things, but am really encourage by what I have read so far.
  • Tracyxxxx
    Tracyxxxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I'm nearly 54 I've been on mfp approx 110 days and managed to lose 33 pounds a bit hit and miss at the beginning but now I lose 2lbs a week. I stick to 1200 ish calories and exercise, was doing 2 hours plus of Zumba, but now I do one hour seven days a week with 15 minutes on the cross trainer as well.
    When I started and I couldn't do much exercise I was lucky if I made a pound a week. I feel a lot fitter and do my exercise in the morning to get it out the way so the rest of the day is mine. I also have a Fitbit flex which makes sure I do over 11,000 steps a day. I never use any of my exercise calories I stick with the 1200.
    I am happy for others to add me for support.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and think mfp is the best. I have lost 33 lbs so far and have 19 left. I started out just logging my weight, but since my calories have gone down to 1200 I walk on my treadmill everyday to add an extra 200 - 300 calories. That has worked great for getting me to exercise. What better incentive for exercise than eating more. I am also an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic and always looking for more diabetic friends to help me through this process. :blushing:
  • iluka52
    iluka52 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    G’day Mate! Welcome to MFP – you have joined a great team and will receive all the help and encouragement you require. If not just ask as most of us are more than willing to help wherever we can.

I am 61 and joined about 6 months ago and have lost 14kgs. I am quite happy with my loss to date. As well as feeling much fitter I had a blood test done recently and my main result was I have gone from a type 2 diabetic to a pre diabetic.

When I started my idea of exercise was a walk (“stroll”) my husband now says when I go for a walk I power walk! Pretty happy with that as he was always telling me to hurry up. The inches are coming off too. I do wish they would go faster but to me this is not a diet it is a change in lifestyle. I try and eat healthily and cut out the meat pies, fast food, chocolates and to me my biggest problem was I love wine! Ok not good for me I know but there you go. I still eat things I know are not helping me but I cater that into my week and try and do another “walk” or the other meals in that day cut back on what you don’t really need.

Oh it does help that I live near the beach which is where I do my exercising. I am not an exercise person in fact I hate exercise so to me beach walking is not exercising as I love the beach. It changes daily and you never know what or who you will see on any given day. So find something you enjoy and if you can someone to share your exercise time with as that helps the time go faster too.

Another great thing happened to me recently I bought a dress! I haven't bought a dress in at least 5 years and it was like a long sack. This probably sounds conceited but I am quite pleased with the way I look in it.

You have done what I did and said “today is the day I am changing myself to get fit and healthy”. I am getting there and so will you. Congratulations on taking the best step in your life – for YOU!!
  • Cherrie099
    Cherrie099 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 56 and been fighting the weight battle for most of my adult life. Up and down like a Yoyo! Want to do it for good this time and think I can with all you're help. This is the best and most supportive site I've ever been on. Thank you all. ????I also got a fitbit and love it.
  • mcranmer58
    mcranmer58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you create those banners showing your goal and tracking it... I need it.
  • smorrison46
    smorrison46 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome, starting where you are and what fits you is what is important. As my baby sister tells me 'keep it moving'. :flowerforyou:
  • Mkhryan
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm 52, and started tracking at the end of Feb 2013, I'm down 64lbs and I'm excited to keep going. I don't even have a final goal yet, I'm doing smaller ones. My next goal is to weigh less than my husband, which is about 25lbs away. Then I will have to get a new goal.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.. I'm all most 52, been on MFP for maybe 4 months, I think this site rocks, has helped me a lot & my Awesome MFP friends that support me helps a lot also.. I agree its hard to lose the weight as we get older I think my biggest problem is I don't exercise enough , but that's do to the Lyme... and meds I take. I have my good and bad days with it.
    But I can do this and so can ALL of you ladies !
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hi. Reading all the posts on this topic, a lot of the comments hit the nail on the head with me.
    I am 55. Four years ago, bam , gained 30 lbs. menopause and a few other assorted issues.
    I had a Dr tell me that losing weight after 50 was not impossible but VERY difficult. I left that appointment thinking to myself...oh yeah ? We will see about that comment.
    I joined MFP at that time but never got serious about it.
    My wedding ring no longer fit , had to buy bigger clothes, etc, etc. I was miserable.
    Three years later, I lost 85% of that, somehow ? And then the losing, stopped.
    So here I am and serious, this time. Day 40. I have lost 3 lbs so far.
    Which is not a big deal but something.
    I eat what I want but really pay attention to portion sizes and bought a digital food scale.
    Drink a lot of water and still enjoy my Chardonnay.
    Not into exercise but do walk on my treadmill once or twice a week.
    Good luck to all to meet your goals!
    Add me as a friend if you would like. :)
  • whillowtree
    whillowtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 52 and looking for others like myself working to get healthy!
  • fagarv
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I just joined MFP this week at the suggestion of the head trainer at the gym I just joined. It is a small gym that provides group classes for total body and weight/cardio circuits. The instructors/trainers are very dedicated and serious about having you work to your potential. I joined on a Groupon deal and then signed up for a few months. It has been working great!

I look forward to progressing and reaching my goal. The reason I am pushing now to drop the next 10 to 15 pounds is so that I can enjoy my years ahead - actually go on a Backpacking trip with my husband, keep strong and flexible for my golf game and to generally stay and enjoy a healthy life style. Best years ahead right?!!

I am the mother of 4 kids ages 16 to 22. One at the Naval Academy, one in college, one out of college and head to Med School and one in High School - I am a stay at home mom and stay very busy running the house as well as being in charge of all our finances, bill paying, benefits etc.

I love to play golf and enjoy a new game I started 2 years ago - platform/paddle tennis - google it! It is a blast.

I'd love to connect with others.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.....57 and been on mfp for over a year....put on quite a bit over summer and slowly losing....happy for anyone to add me.I always try and comment:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sandytaffy
    sandytaffy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. This is my third day. I turned 55 this year. I am an expert at losing weight, done it millions of times. Keeping it off, not so much.
    I am to the point I must lose weight for health reasons. Luckily, right now, I am only taking two meds.

I have enjoyed reading the boards. Very inspirational and hopeful.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I will be 50 in December.
    Feel free to add me anyone. Us 50 something's have to stick together.
    We can all be losers together.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello all you ladies over 50 here at MFP. We have a wonderful forum dedicated just for us here. You'll find it listed as women 50+ or something like that. We are a very chatty group so usually we have some sort of posting on the most recent posts listed on the community page of messages. You don't have to do anything to join, just show up and write a post and your in! We talk about our diets of course but we talk about anything else because we want to get to know each other as people, not just some one passing in this cyber world trying to lose weight.. We are chatty enough that we usually exceed over 500 posts. So the board my be called September part 2 or something like that. And then she will start one for October. Come join us...Joyce
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Ladies over 50 trying to lose weight

54 here and not 'trying' but DOING it.
    Weigh, measure & write what you bite, it works :flowerforyou:
  • LKerwin1
    Options
    Recently started MFP. 51 years old, probably starting menopause. I've actually been going to a gym for a couple of months now, but, due to a seriously messed up back, I restrict myself to the recumbent bike. I love it, but doctor told me to cut back to three times a week. Before I got onto MFP, I was doing the Jillian Michaels app, basically just for a food log. Exercise other than recumbent causes pain in my back. Gotta lose at least 40 so I can get my back fusion.Eventually I would like to lose 100+.
    So, I'm drinking more water than ever before, I'm eating breakfast every day, I'm eating more fruit and good stuff like turkey breast, yogurt, split pea soup, etc. Nearly every single day with Jillian and MFP, I'm just under my 1200 daily goal. Here's the kicker.... I GAINED three pounds!!!!! I'm doing about 20 miles a week on the bike and keeping track of food. I'm doing really good!!! Why is the scale going in the WRONG direction??!! p.s. Friends have noticed my upper thighs slimming from the bike. Taking measurements first of the month. How badly does menopause screw with weight? Any other suggestions?