Period Weight Gain?

Options
It seems like every time I am about to get my period, I gain a couple of pounds. It always seems to drop right back off after my period has finished, but it's SO annoying!

Does anyone else experience weight gain during their period?

Replies

• gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's perfectly normal and usually just water weight. Just drink plenty of fluids and it should drop straight off after your period :-)
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I do especially the times I'm a doofus and feel I have to eat the entire fridge.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I dip a couple of pounds just before my period. I have to keep from getting too excited about it, knowing that it's just my pre-period low.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I dip a couple of pounds just before my period. I have to keep from getting too excited about it, knowing that it's just my pre-period low.

luck you! lol i always gain myself. my best weigh-in of the month will always be right after my TOM has ended. i almost look forward to it. =)
  • shellymeister
    shellymeister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    glad to know it isn't just me! thanks for the tip! :)
  • jennibear8504
    Options
    I'll gain 1-2 lbs at the beginning, but by the next week weigh in i'll have lost all of it and then some... Its totally normal...
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4 lbs just before and during, and then I usually drop it all & more immediately after.
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    always! I go up about 3-5lbs the week of my period, but then it will go right back down when its over. I hate it! I'm also STARVING the week before my period which doesn't help.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

luck you! lol i always gain myself. my best weigh-in of the month will always be right after my TOM has ended. i almost look forward to it. =)

Not so lucky--I go right back to where I was as my period comes/goes.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not real weight, it's just water.

Not to be harsh, but I have no idea why this concept is revolutionary for some women on here. I mean, it happens every month since puberty. Why so much confusion about it?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It really depends for me. If I watch my sodium, which is usually higher than recommended anyway, I might actually lose weight the week before, during, and after. If I don't and my sodium is higher than normal I might retain anywhere from 4-10 lbs of water weight. I can actually see and feel it, mostly in my legs. Normally it goes away toward the last couple days of.
  • shellymeister
    shellymeister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    that's true, but i never weighed myself regularly until this year, haha.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's not real weight, it's just water.

Not to be harsh, but I have no idea why this concept is revolutionary for some women on here. I mean, it happens every month since puberty. Why so much confusion about it?

Probably revolutionary because we're now watching our weight a lot more closely. I mean, I know and have always known that I get bloated every month, but I wasn't stepping on the scale to see how the number actually fluctuates.

But yeah, in the same boat as the others here. Scale has only minimally budged (up .5 lb) and I'm doing everything I can to make it move the other way. Hopefully that number will drop to where I want it to be soon. lol
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I reliably gain 5 lb the week before and then lose it the week after. I gain/lose more now than I did when i was younger (I used to go up only about 2-3 lb).
  • squishy84
    Options
    I know this is a different question and should probably be in a different post, but has anyone's cycle gone wonky when they first started working out "religiously"?

Mine has gone MIA and it's making me really miff!!
  • AmieJess
    AmieJess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm menopausal. No period for 6 months. Was losing nicely until 2 weeks ago and then have been up and down the same 4 pounds while maintaining good diet and exercise habits. Period started yesterday. A real doozy. Curious to see what the loss is by the end of the month
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yep it, unfortunately, is totally normal.
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep I was 244.5 before my period.

2 days prior: I noticed my urge to snack at night, and lust for chocolate. 255.3
    1 day prior: I felt bloated and icky, stil wanting to consume bad foods. 246.4

During: Felt okay, carried on working out everyday. Weightl fluctauted between 245 and 247.

I day after: Back to normal, stepped on scale at 244.3

I always seem to get my cravings before, those 2 days are the most dangerous for me haha
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm also ravenous the week before. During it, I don't care about food but I could eat alll the chocolate and chips the week before.

I Also gain like 5 lbs during, then it disappears when it's over. It was quite alarming the first time I noticed the trend.

Take heart, it's so common and means nothing about your weight loss efforts- just a (scheduled) bump in the road designed to make us even more cranky (jk) ;)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I gain 10lbs in bloat and water...I stop weighing myself the minute PMS starts until a week after TOM.