Feeling Discouraged!

Options
This will be my 16th day in a row logging in. I have tried to be very adamant about logging EVERYTHING and for the last week I have worked out (taking a spin class with a HRM).

I have GAINED TWO pounds?!?!?!?! What the heck? I have had at least two days where I have gone WAY over my calories, and there have been more days than not that I have gone over my 1200 calories goal, but I just don't understand how I have gained weight.

I won't, but I feel like why even try if I am only going to gain? I mean not trying, and not working out I was 2 pounds thinner!

ERRRRR.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to gain weight when you start a new exercise routine. The good news is that it's likely just water weight. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and heal them during the repair process. Give your body some time to adjust to the new routine and the scale should start to head in the right direction soon.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary so we can take a look at your food log that might help. Also, a lot of people retain water when they start working out.. so most likely you have gained water weight and not actual fat.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You may just be retaining water. When you went way over your calories, was it done eating out? Food in restaurants are higher in sodium.

I myself am having some difficulty losing weight all of a sudden. I know that I haven't been as good with my eating so I am pretty sure that is the problem.

If you know you are going over your calories most days and you went way over at least two days...this may be why you have gained. 1200 calories is hard to stay with, trust me, I am trying it now.

You will get through this as I will. We may be feeling discouraged but we will get there. Keep your chin up!
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I recently started working out and my weight went up. Take your measurements though. A lot of times when you start a new workout routine you will gain weight bc you body will retain water. But after a few weeks it will fall off or you will lose inches like crazy in the process. Stick to it and things will start looking up :)
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ^This. Make sure you are monitoring your sodium intake as well so that you aren't bloating and drink plenty of water.
  • carefulkate
    carefulkate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    we all get days when we feel like this but to quote a famous Scot "if at first you dont succeed try try try again" I find logging is the one thing that works but it isnt foolproof hope next week is better x
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Water.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Could be you've gained muscle from exercising. Stay with it, you'll get your results! :)
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ahhh, thanks everyone. It helps to see your posts. I guess it is only 2 pounds...and I should definitely be drinking more water (that is the one thing I have not been keeping track of and need to).

Thank you. Feeling less discouraged.. :/