BMI confusion, help please

Options
i am 5'1", small frame, now weigh 138lbs, size 12 uk,and have a BMI of 26.1 so I am still overweight yep that is acceptable but I am looking pretty good feeling great and am as fit as a butchers dog!

My female partner is 5'7.5", small frame, now weighs 138, size 12 uk - BUT HERE IS MY QUERY for my partner to have a BMI OF 26.1 she would have to weigh 169lbs which she did once, she was fat !!!! At 26.1 BMI I am trim fit n feeling great my partner size 18 uk and frankly fat! How can this be? I still should lose more but shouldnt the BMI BE PROPORTIONATE? 26.1 for me = 26.1 for others too?????

Replies

• Mangoose
    Options
    So the only difference is your height?

That'll be the reason then.

Though to be honest, BMI is really only an indicator and should largely be ignored/not taken seriously
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    BMI is total bullcrap. It doesn't account for lean muscle mass. If you want a full analysis of your body fat, I recommend you look up a local place that does hydrostatic body fat testing. They can tell you how much body fat and lean muscle mass you have, and tell you how many calories it takes for you to maintain your weight.

Besides, being healthy is about feeling healthy. And if you feel trim and healthy, then there's nothing wrong with you :) You're doing great!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I thought that the BMI was supposed to be a decent indicator????
  • Beebee78
    Options
    BMI is a tool the NHS like to use way too much to determine how fit and healthy you are. It does not take into consideration body fat percentages etc. To be honest I try not to put much store in it ( after years of having to strive for certain BMI's for fertility treatment).

A good example of how it isn't a good indicator...me 5'7 inches 229lbs - bmi of 36
    my friend 6'5 inches 291lbs and his bmi is better than mine even though I work out 6 days a week and have far less fat on me...
  • Mangoose
    Options

It's just that - An indicator. And like all indicators, it has it's flaws.

The best indicators are physical measurements of waist, neck, arms, legs etc, and the real test is how fit and healthy you feel :)
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Well at some point you will need to record your healthy weight RANGE. Something that's indicated by your Body Mass Index (BMI). This is the measurement doctors now use to determine what you SHOULD weigh for your PARTICULAR HEIGHT. ..Now that being said..we all come in all shapes and sizes. Some taller than other some shorter than others. Some are 5'5 with a big bone structure (frame) and some are 5'5 with a petite frame..i mean common sense one will prolly weigh 140 and the other will be 125 but they are BOTH in the right weight (range) zone for their height. if you do wanna go with the text (med) books..go for it..

that being said, if you have a BMI of:
    (<18.5) you are underweight -
    (18.5 - 24.9) healthy weight
    (25-29.9) overweight
    (>30) obese
  • heyzoos
    Options

Though to be honest, BMI is really only an indicator and should largely be ignored/not taken seriously

Amen! It's time BMI was scrapped in favour of more useful measurements, like Body Fat% and Visceral Body Fat% (Belly Fat).
  • Beebee78
    Options

Amen! It's time BMI was scrapped in favour of more useful measurements, like Body Fat% and Visceral Body Fat% (Belly Fat).

Yayy!!! Someone else who agrees!!! Honestly people think I'm nuts but my trainer says inches and a bodyfat measurement at the end of my first 12 weeks are the only ways he will measure my sucess. No BMI calculator or any of that jazz xxx
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Only if you're skinny-fat!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options

that being said, if you have a BMI of:
    (<18.5) you are underweight -
    (18.5 - 24.9) healthy weight
    (25-29.9) overweight
    (>30) obese

Hello you!!!!! I guess this is what I am pissed off about..... when I get to a BMI of 24.9 I will be slimmish, in good shape size 10 -12 Uk and this is JUST at the healthy range as you say.......YET my female partner with a BMI of 24.9 was overweight, not in good shape and a size 16-18 UK -
    I am 5 foot 1 and she is 5 foot 7.5 there is no way we could ever have the same BMI as one of us would be way off the scale????? She now has a BMI of 21 she is slim , for me to be there I would have to lose 22lbs I would be tiny, tiny tiny?????