I want to do shooting competitions!!!

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
So recently my dad bought a 9mm pistol and he has been taking me shooting. I have gotten pretty good pretty quickly and I LOOOOOVE IT. I have it in my mind now that I want to get to a skill level that I can do competitions. Naturally, being the father of 2 girls, my dad is really excited that he can share this "man activity" with me LOL. However, a man's ego can be a fragile thing at times (no offense ya'll, but really) and I am pretty sure that I am already a better shot than my boyfriend since he has only ever done it once. I wanted to tell my boyfriend, but also reassure him that his role as my protector is not being stepped on just b/c I can shoot. When I told him I want to get to do competitions, he got really excited (he's a super laid back person so it's a big deal when he is visibly excited LOL). He was like wow that would be really cool, now I wanna go shooting really bad. LOL aww.

Replies

• griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Go for it!

As you know you will have to practive from ALL shooting positions. That is alot of ammo and money. Good luck!!!!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I also love shooting! It can get expensive, though, and around here the stores are running out of ammo all the time. There are literally lines when the stores open for people to hurry and get what they need. I don't have the patience for that.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Go for it!

As you know you will have to practive from ALL shooting positions. That is alot of ammo and money. Good luck!!!!

The money part is no joke. If you are serious about shooting you'll probably move to a .22 The ammo is affordable, 9 mm will add up to hundreds spent for one Saturday of a cpmpetition. When I shot I shot a .40 cal Glock, ammo was about 1/2 what is now. Could not imagine. I broke a 26 year old record here once so I tsay it can be a lot of fun. Plus they have a lottttttt of 22 competition pistols not many .9mm. They make the barrels longer on the .22's for accuracy. Happy Shooting!!!!!!
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What type of competitions are you looking to try?

I shoot Production Division USPSA and and SSP (Stock Service Pistol) in IDPA. They are a lot of fun and each offer a variety of challenges. If 'running and gunning' isn't your thing, Steel League and NRA Competitions have a lot to offer.

I shot a pretty lousy match in this video but here is an example of USPSA
    http://youtu.be/rSNGjYMO6mo
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Look on the internet for local shooting ranges, most of them will have some kind of bowling pin shoot or (god forbid ) Rock your Glock....
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it, but I agree that you should get a 22 or 25 to shoot with for the bulk of your practice. I have a 9mm and the ammo is so hard to find right now, not to mention the costs involved. Some ranges require new ammo only and other will let you re-load the cartriges. My hubby's 45 ammo is easier to find yet and a little less expensive even. Also, if you plan to shoot a lot and want to find extra clips for a 9mm that hold a higher number of rounds...depending on if it's even legal in the state you live in...you are going to be seriously challenged finding those for 9mm as well. I have been looking for larger clips and have not been able to find any. As a woman shooter, I think it's great to see other gals out there with interest. I recently took a concealed carry class and learned a ton, especially about the laws that govern gun use in my state. I highly recommend it even if you don't carry, but intend to use it for home protection as I do. My love as far as shooting, is rifles. I thinks it's a blast, no pun intended, to shoot targets 300 or 400 yards away. Good luck and have fun with it!