Replies

• amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just about every morning:
    1/2 Cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 Cup Vanillla almond milk
    microwaved for about 1 minute
    toss in 1/2-1 cup of frozen mixed berries, thawed (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)

If I have fresh berries of any kind I will use those too, usually strawberries. I have also used peaches- delicious!

If I dont have fresh fruit, or forgot to thaw the frozen I will use a tsp of brown sugar and a tsp of honey to sweeten.
  • Sunshine_Kubes
    Sunshine_Kubes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with soy milk.. then use unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon and usually a sliced banana.. I use blueberries sometimes as well or both. In the fall I like to incorporate pumpkin into my oatmeal. So I use 1/4 cup canned pumpkin with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla extract and top it with pecans.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup oats
    9 tbsp egg whites
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cook for 2-3 minutes in the microwave and top with cinnamon and fresh berries!!!! :love:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sky's the limit because oatmeal is a bland base, a blank canvas (like rice or pasta or quinoa) for a thousand works of art.

For a sweet version I usually go for PB&J with appropriate berries (blueberries if I'm using blueberry preserves, for example). (But the peanut butter has to be super-crunchy to make me happy with it haha!)

For a savory version, I've done it with turkey sausage crumbles, diced onion, a slice of american cheese, and an egg fried over easy so the yolk is runny & oozes out over the oatmeal.

Take this blog for a spin: http://www.theoatmealartist.com/
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We cook ours with half milk and half water if making it stovetop. Our oatmeal yesterday had peaches, local blueberries and real maple syrup. :)

In the office I use the packets and make it with water. I tend to stick to the organic instant oatmeal from either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This last time I mixed a pound of oatmeal with a pound of granola and 22 tablespoons of flex seeds and 6 oz of dried cherries..it makes 27 servings @ a half a cup...yummy yum

I also always add cinnamon.. But NO butter or sugar is needed.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was given some oatmeal that has the cinnamon already added in it. This morning, I cooked it with water and just ate it that way. It wasn't bad but I know I'll get sick of it fast that way.

Therefore, tomorrow I'm going to add some unsweetened applesauce to it. And, possibly, a little more cinnamon as there wasn't much cinnamon flavor to it.
  • scottrfraser
    scottrfraser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1/3 c Quaker Oat meal, 1 Tbsp Chica seeds, 1 Tbsp Flaxseed meal, 1 Tbsp Steel cut oats, 25 Blueberries, Morton's Lite Salt. 244 Calories.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do 1:1 oats and vanilla almond/soy milk, mixed up and left overnight in the fridge. I eat them cold.
  • evoke45
    evoke45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of my oatmeal as something close to rice or pasta and like to eat it the way I eat those... sometimes I add soy sauce, spices, or even cheese. Delicious and feels like a full meal!
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the only oddball here but I don't like sweet oatmeal. I don't eat oatmeal at all anymore because I low carb but I used to eat it with a splash of milk, a pat of butter and salt. Yes, salt! That is how I grew up eating it from my grandmother and mother. I love it that way.

I now make a hot cereal from ground flax seed, chia seeds and boiling water. I add a tsp of heavy cream, a tsp of butter and salt. Yum! Pure energy breakfast before a run.
  • gcadmes
    gcadmes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Quick question about about your blog.
    Do you only post meme's, or do you write as well? I saw only meme's, which, by the way, several are NSFW. A little heads up would be nice.

kthxbye
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    screw the oatmeal and make flapjacks :D
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/2 apple, chopped
    (microwave those ^ in with the oats + water)
    1-2 tbsp peanut butter
    Honey or brown sugar and cinnamon to taste

YUM.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Saving for later :love:
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    I cook it with milk usually. If I happen to be out, I use water. I never add any liquid after. The milk depend on what I have and/or what I'm in the mood for. At any given time, we can have cow's milk, soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk. Usually two different kinds so it's just whatever I'm in the mood for. We have no milk right now. I need to go shopping. lol. A couple girls I know on Tumblr eat it with Splenda and a few chocolate chips for a relatively low-cal chocolate fix. I generally add some organic sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Sometimes with cinnamon or fresh fruit. I want to try chocolate chips and stevia but I keep forgetting to buy chocolate chips!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I use quick cooking steel cut oats w peanut butter and cherries or blueberries - if no PB then I will add cinnamon, no milk. I eat it almost every morning and never tire of it!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to eating the oats dry, mixed with a Greek yogurt. I'm never going back, its my favorite snack.

^^This^^ , with some fresh blueberries and a bit of maple syrup. YUM!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    1 mashed banana
    1/2c oats
    raisins
    mini chocolate chips
    sprinkly of sea salt

drop by tbsp on to lightly greased cookie sheet
    bake 8mins at 350
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I want it hot, I'll add raisins, some chopped nuts, and fresh berries, maybe with some brown sugar, but usually without.

Dry I'll add nuts, raisins, berries, and eat it with almond milk. Sometimes, I'll add the dry mix to Greek yogurt, especially in the summertime.