Can rowing be good for toning abdominal muscles?

Options
I have been using a rowing machine as part of my gym routine however I have been finding conflicting answers to what you will actually benefit from using it. Some people claim that it is good toning abdominal muscles and will help get that perfect abs whereas others say it will just give you a flat stomach.

So basically I was just wondering can rowing be good for toning abdominal muscles?

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It only works if you do it like this...

Rowing_machine_fail.gif
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's a bit of what I've found on the benefits of the rowing machine.. it's an awesome workout!!

Muscle Toning

Rowing invokes all the muscles of the body and trains them evenly. With little pressure on the joints, rowers work the the legs, hips and buttocks with each stroke. They use upper body muscles, strengthening the back, shoulders and arms. The trunk and core are engaged in the exercise as the rower performs each stroke. You can adjust most rowing machines to create a tighter resistance to build muscles as well.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/82840-muscles-rowing-machine-work/
    Yes it does work your core and check out what else it's great for! I love the rowing machine:drinker:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Rowing is cardio. Like any cardio movement, there will be an initial adaptation as the body develops the specific strength it needs to perform that particular movement. Depending on the individual and their overall fitness and baseline strength, that adaptation may be more meaningful and noticeable as an overall "increase in muscle strength". However, it is not the same as resistance training.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Rowing is cardio. Like any cardio movement, there will be an initial adaptation as the body develops the specific strength it needs to perform that particular movement. Depending on the individual and their overall fitness and baseline strength, that adaptation may be more meaningful and noticeable as an overall "increase in muscle strength". However, it is not the same as resistance training.
    ^this. But I do love the olympic rowing machines. They're great fun, particularly when they have the fishy games on them.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    LOL and cringing at the gif!

Rowing is a great full-body cardio exercise. I rowed through highschool, college and a few years afterward in a club. Please, if you are going to use the rowing machine, learn how to do it correctly. Many personal trainers and paid staff at gyms don't know. This is a good start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zmJYQ5URw
  • yeagemk
    yeagemk Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Andrew,

If done properly, the rower will engage the abdominals, but only as secondary muscles. To make the long story short, if you really want the stomach you're looking for, you will more than likely need to train this group of muscles directly.

- a fitness professional
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Rowing_machine_fail.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Rowing_machine_fail.gif

When I see people doing this it takes all of my STRENGTH not to stop them. They're exerting so much effort doing the wrong thing.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Rowing_machine_fail.gif

This just keeps getting funnier the more I watch...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    If done properly, the rower will engage the abdominals, but only as secondary muscles. To make the long story short, if you really want the stomach you're looking for, you will more than likely need to train this group of muscles directly.

This^^^^
    Have a look at this link to see where in the stroke your abs are used - http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/muscles-used

(There's some good technique videos on there as well.)
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    Cheers everyone, there are some wicked responses in here! I am not solely using the rower to work on my abs, however if it will help alongside the other things I am doing then I will keep it up!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ^this. But I do love the olympic rowing machines. They're great fun, particularly when they have the fishy games on them.

Yes I should have added that I think rowing is great exercise, if you enjoy the movement. You could argue that, considering quality of machine and quality of exercise, the Concept 2 rower provides the best value of any piece of exercise equipment one could buy for the home.