FRUIT = SUGAR

Ok so I love fruit. When I have 6 grapes or strawberries, my sugar is already over FOR THE DAY ! So really I cannot eat fruit on this diet.

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    This has been talked about a hundred different times. Don't worry about what MFP sets for your sugar. Fruit is healthy for you. Eat it and be merry.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    That limit set on MFP is based on the FDA recommendation for added sugar only. MFP, however, counts them the same with the same limit. Just ignore sugar unless you have blood sugar problems like hypoglycemia.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    of course you can eat fruit...in reasonable amounts. The natural sugars contained in fruit are really not a big issue for most people...unless you are diabetic or have other metabolic issues. That said...fruit is pretty calorie dense, so you probably don't want to eat TONS of it, but it also has fiber, and lots of vitamins that you NEED. So yes, eat fruit!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Fruit is calorie dense? Since when? A large apple is like 120 calories. The only thing less calorie dense is veggies. I personally find an apple more filling than a single egg.
  • hazelghost
    hazelghost Posts: 2 Member
    I agree with ignoring MFP's recommendation on sugar. As long as your sugar is coming from a natural (Fruit) source instead of a candy bar it should be fine. It is included to provide a more accurate profile of your daily food intake. I like monitoring it but I do realize that a banana which is good for you, blows your daily allowance. While the sugar from fruit and sweets is the same, how the body processes this sugar is different. Fruit provides vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.

Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it -- as fat. Hope this helps.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I agree with ignoring MFP's recommendation on sugar. As long as your sugar is coming from a natural (Fruit) source instead of a candy bar it should be fine. It is included to provide a more accurate profile of your daily food intake. I like monitoring it but I do realize that a banana which is good for you, blows your daily allowance. While the sugar from fruit and sweets is the same, how the body processes this sugar is different. Fruit provides vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.

Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it -- as fat. Hope this helps.

Very well said. I agree
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Pretty silly since your body would rather have fruit than white bread.
  • leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    When I look at my sugar count for the day I always subtract however many grams come from fruit. If the difference is below the recommended number, I'm good. Just don't count natural sugar (that comes from things like fruit) into your allowance.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    The amount of sugar in a type of food is not a good indication of the healthfulness of said food.

There's an equal amount of sugar in two large peaches and one regular Snicker's bar. But you're going to get 136 calories and 20% of your daily fiber from the two peaches, as opposed to 271 calories and 5% of your daily fiber from the Snicker's.

Don't look at sugar, it's a terrible gauge of how healthful a food is. Unless you doctor said to watch your sugar. Then you should probably listen to your doctor.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    what diet? that's why diets are best to be avoided
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    This isn't a diet. Eat fruit!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Because DNL is so common, right?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    This isn't a diet. Eat fruit!
    ^^this.... plus, a few grapes or strawberries should not put you over your allotment for the day... anyway, don't worry about fruit.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    This has been talked about a hundred different times. Don't worry about what MFP sets for your sugar. Fruit is healthy for you. Eat it and be merry.

This. Especially the "be merry."
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    meh, all carbs turn into glucose in order to be absorbed.

unless you are or are in danger of becoming a diabetic, i wouldn't worry about sugar specifically as long as your overall carbs aren't out of of control.