Quick and healthy meals

Options
Any tips on quick and healthy meals for a mother who works full time with 2 kids? My problem is I do not get home until 6-6:15pm and my son is hungry at 6:30-- so we usually end up eating something quick which does not always equal healthy :(

Replies

• srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    a Crockpot will become your best friend! You can seriously make anything in it!!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Crock pot is awesome... Also, this time of year you can be grilling anything and it doesn't take long on a gas grill.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Make a meal plan and prep your foods on the weekend. Do all the shopping and portioning. I like the WhatsForDinner App, but there are many other apps and websites that do something similar. I find recipes, plug them in for days, and it creates a shopping list for me.

Then on the weekends I the shopping and all the prep I possibly can. Usually this involved chopping any veggies and portioning out any meat. I also like to sautee a big batch of onions a head of time and add those where necessary - usually in all meals all the time. I put these in individual freezer bags. One bag per meal, plus one more with the meat if I've portioned out the meat. Ya, I pay about $15 a month in freezer bags, but its so worth it. I tried out a lot of different make ahead and freezer meal systems and this one worked best for me.

I try to make a double portion which I freezer for another night. I would like to be able to make all meals ahead of time like that but I found it too hectic trying to cook several things at once and I gave up.

If its going to be an especially busy day I pick a crock pot recipe and make it in the morning, plus cut up the salad and set the table. It requires getting up a little earlier, but I'd much rather miss the 15 minutes of sleep to get everything ready and not have a toddler freaking out at me come dinner time.

I have also completely fallen in love with these: http://tokyoplast.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/111015044-101593825/Hot_Pot_thermo_food_container.html but I don't think I've ever seen them in the US.

Try this site for ideas too: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/02/10-slow-cooker-freezer-meals-in-less.html
  • liltazmo90
    liltazmo90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stir fries are great too, we had one tonight

Asda Fresh Tastes - Sweet Chilli Stir Fry Sauce, 100 g
    Amoy - Gold Label Dark Soy Sauce, 30 ml
    Tesco - Stir Fry Oil, 0.5 tbsp
    Asda Fresh Tastes - Free Range Egg Noodles (Stir-Fried), 100 g
    Tesco - Reduced Fat British Beef Quick Cook Strips, 100 g
    Asda - Asda Water Chestnut & Bamboo Shoot Stir-Fry With Chinese Leaf, Red Onion & Peppers, 210 g

it serves probably 4 people, but if you like food then will serve 2 :S

Total calories: 298.

and you can mix and match and don't necessarily need to add sauce :D x
  • aymz0715
    Options
    Thank you all! I do like the crock pot- but it seems everything involves Cream of something soup...lol any good crock pot recipes?
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    pork tenderloin with a can of crushed pineapple and some dried cranberries. Serve with brown rice and veggies. Yum
    Also love 4 BLSL chicken breast sprinkled with some taco seasoning and about a cup of Medium salsa . Whole chicken sprinkled with salt and pepper, roast beef with onions, salt , pepper, veggies and potatoes!! Try and Enjoy the ease plus its ready when or soon after you get home( depending if a complete meal is in the pot. You can even do crock pot lasagna. Google crock pot recipes.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Invest in a pampered chef large microwave steamer. You can brown ground meat (hamburger, sausage, ground turkey or chicken) in 8-10 minutes for a pound in the microwave even from frozen. That allows you to quickly put together several favorites in less than 30 minutes and the bonus is less mess than browning in the skillet. I use mine to quickly put together tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc.
  • i_am_melting
    Options