Its NOT magic...and its NOT complicated!!! (long)

Options
I am gonna vent a lot...so I work in a retail setting and most of my coworkers are female, as am I. All but 3 of us are under 30. Most are under 23, and Most of our employees are overweight....big surprise.... well anyway, I have been eating healthy and working out for about 12 weeks now, (After a shocker trip to the doc.)

So here is the vent, I am sick if everyone saying...Ohh my how do you stick wiht it, ohh my dont you just want to quit (uhh no I like my life ), ohh my .....

You know people this is not rocket science...in fact somettimes even here people wayyyyy over think this...

Look SIMPLE....EASY.... Eat Less Move More

It doesnt have to be some dramatic, over the top, ohhh my I CAN"T have that, You can have it, but its your choice if you do, I prefer...I dont want that,

I am sick of trying to justify my eating and exercisisng to anyone, I do not ask the people around me to justify the burger and frys they are eating. nor the cake and junk, so why should I justify what I am eating.....

Sorry for the rant, I just get so frustrated and fed up...For those who just got to this site and want to know an easy way to start...here is what my doctor told me and it helped..

Do not go to any place that has a drive thru for 4 weeks
Eat off a salad plate for 4 weeks, no return trips for more food
line up 10 20 oz bottles of water every night drink the next day for the next 4 weeks

Walk 5 minutes day 1 and add 2 to 5 minutes everday for 4 weeks.

I lost 18 pounds by changing just these things and you know what....My family still has a ton of junk in the house and I dont care I dont crave it ( huge junk food addict here) and I never feel deprived. Its not hard and I have no magic pill I am taking...I just eat less and move more.

12 weeks later I find I choose healthier foods because it waht I want, I prefer a Jazz apple to a candy bar, my tastes have changed and I didnt even try it just happened as I was eating less and moving more. Now my fridge is filled wiht fruits and veggies, and I eat them all, no more go to the curb on trash day.

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    Firstly - massive congratulations on changing your lifestyle for the better. I can totally empathize with you as people are doing the same to us. My husband is healthy already but he is following the same eating pattern as me, mostly because this is no diet - I need to change the way I eat and exercise for good. But the amount of people sarcastically saying that he doesn't need to because he is skinny or making silly silly comments is unreal.

Thinking of you xxx
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey, So here is the vent, I am sick if everyone saying...Ohh my how do you stick wiht it, ohh my dont you just want to quit (uhh no I like my life ), ohh my ..... [your quote]

Reason they say that is they don't want you to change,then they have to look at themselves in the mirror and justify why they look like they do,might have to change.:heart:

Keep up the good work, Changing to a healthy lifestyle is alot of work and others don't have the discipline,willpower,& determination.[easier the other way with work,home, & life] stresses!!

Your right about it's not magic,& not complicated......just calories in vs. calories out...spinkle in some goals with the 3 areas mention above and have a healthy lifestyle!!! Surround yourself with people who support & are happy for your success!!:smile::drinker:
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hahaha... try being vegan. Every time I eat out with someone I get "oh, I forgot... you're vegan... you can't have that..."

My standard reply is, "I can have whatever I want. I don't want that." It used to annoy me but these days I treat it as a chance to teach people the difference between black and grey :)
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am soooooo with you on this one!!!! :grumble: I've been doing "this" since the end of January and am losing nice and slowly, just like you're supposed to. I almost feel guilty when I sit down with my healthy choices:blushing: at work when the others are eating the crappy cafeteria foods.:noway: I totally understand how you feel "judged" for the right choices!! Now I am getting that even more because I have been wearing a Bodybugg all the time and had already lost over 20 lbs when I got it, so ppl give me "that look":huh: when I explain to them what it is for. WHATEVER!!!! I just smile and say "go ahead and say it....call me obsessed" and then I remember a quote I saw on here...."OBSESSED is just a word the LAZY use to describe the DETERMINED!!!!:wink: And when they say "I don't think you need to lose any more weight" I say "thank you" And when they ask what my "goal" is I say "to be healthy and feel good about my body, I don't have a set goal weight, but I'll know when I get there and I'm not there yet" And my favorite is when they ask "what are you doing to lose weight?" and when you tell them watching what you eat and exercising regularly, they just go..."oh" :yawn: like they don't believe you! or that it has to be an awful way to do it! haha I am thankful for this site and all the support on here, cause it sure is hard to get it in our everyday lives!!

Great job on your accomplishments so far and keep up the good work!!!:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Well done you for sticking with it.....you're doing fantastic and sooner or later they will realise they need to do the same and will be asking you for advice...i love what your doctor said to you and might have to try some of them.

Fantastick job...stick with it :-)
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Applause:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth! If you're out of shape and want to get healthier, then start watching what you eat and get some exercise! It's not hard to figure out. Stop making excuses for missing workouts or eating poorly, and do something about it instead of whining about how hard it is. If you really want a healthier body, then you are going to have to make sacrifices.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    In order to lose the weight that we have we got away from the pack. "The pack" doesn't make the best decisions. Not about anything. It's when we get off by ourselves that we usually make the best decisions. In this case, we get off by ourselves together but only to a point. My weight loss is not contingent on other people cheering me on. It's nice though. And even on facebook my friends seem generally supportive. They ask me questions from time to time.

Basically, we have to stop listening to all the advertising around us and just do what we want to do. People can tell you all day long what you should do but at the end of the day you're the only one who matters. I only care what other people think on the positive side anyway. If we put ourselves under the microscope we might not look perfect. But in my case, whatever I'm doing is working for me. And I just want to keep right on doing it. Not just until I lose all the weight but permanently. I don't want to ever slide by down that slope again by discontinuing exercise or eating right.

So, I pick exercises that are fun for me. And most importantly easy. That's not to say I don't work up a sweat. I do. It just means I'm no body builder and I don't want to maintain the energy needed over a long period of time on something that seems to hard on me. Granted, naturally, as time has gone on my endurance and strength is growing from my cardio exercises. I tend to just do more reps instead of add more weight. I keep things simple. No brainers. Could I be in better shape? Sure. Do I care? Not at all. Who am I trying to impress besides myself, my wife, my family and friends. And really just myself. At the end of the day I can't control if Sue or Bob are overweight. I can only control me. Perhaps, it'll be a good example and they'll see how easy it is for me and in turn how easy it can be for them but only if they so choose it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I get lots of support from my immediate family but since I spend about 80 % of my awake time at work it can get frustrating.
  • determined4ever
    Options
    Wow...so proud of you! Loved your Dr.'s recommendations....I started August 1 and haven't eaten fast food since then...have been eating on a salad plate, working out about 2.5 hours a day....but don't get my water in. You have inspired me to line up my bottles and get busy! What a great idea! Cheering you on.....Just grin inside when they make their comments...they are jealous!
  • Bluddy
    Options
    Once people start to see you looking good, they'll change their attitudes, people around me are starting to re-assess their diets as they see me getting slimmer.

Rather than asking ya why ya not coming on a night out to drink a weeks worth of calories away, theyll be asking to join you on your exercise. :)
  • adrienc
    Options
    Eat Less, Move More

Couldn't agree more!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love this topic. I'm taking away the "just keep it simple message". Thank you for reminding me of that.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree more. People at work tell me that I don't need to lose weight, but I'm 40 pounds over the recommended weight limit. I am a active person to start with. But at 28 years old I want to make a change in my life now not when I'm older. I also found out that I have high cholesterol (it runs on my dad's side). So I'm eating more greens and healthy picks. I exercise more and I hear about it at work. Some co-workers joke about it and tell me that it's not a diet but a way of life. Well duh, I know this, but i want my life to change, and to do that i have to start with me.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You may meant this as a vent, but your message has motivated me. Congratulations on your weight loss, and doing it in a sustainable way! You are one of the lucky few to have a doctor with half a brain when it comes to nutrition/weight loss. Keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • HisMomma21
    Options
    Okay, so I totally get that this is a vent, and I get it I really do. Just about everyone I work with is on a diet, and don't understand how I'm losing weight so much faster. I'm on a mom's site where people ask me constantly how I've lost the weight etc. And I'm always more than willing to share, but it's not always as simple as eat less, move more. It's harder than that for some people. It was pretty simple for me, but I'm also only 21 and I'm very active with my 2 year old. I've lost 71 pounds this way, but again it's not always that simple.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    So, I pick exercises that are fun for me. And most importantly easy. That's not to say I don't work up a sweat. I do. It just means I'm no body builder and I don't want to maintain the energy needed over a long period of time on something that seems to hard on me. Granted, naturally, as time has gone on my endurance and strength is growing from my cardio exercises. I tend to just do more reps instead of add more weight. I keep things simple. No brainers. Could I be in better shape? Sure. Do I care? Not at all.
    I loved this part of your post, so I had to quote it. Taking this approach is much more likely to get you long-term success than the approach some people take of doing an incredibly difficult (for them) workout program. I see too many people burn out because they try to do too much too fast, either with food or exercise (often with both), and that just isn't realistic. Kudos to you for knowing what you want and what you're willing to do to get it – and then doing it!
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Glad so many of you have found my "vent" helpful. I just wish more people could see how easy it really is to do, if its not as easy as eat less move more then you should make an appointment with your doctor.

I hope today everyone had a good day and found a moment to be proud of yourself. I know I did.

What a wonderful support group we have here.

Ohh an an FYI for anyone who wants to know...I am 36 will be 37 in december and have had 3 kids, so I am no spring chicken.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think the media has made everyone think this is a hard process that you have to use pills or plans or diets to get to work. But it really is as simple as your doctor said, eat less, move more. Eat healthier. Do that and the rest follows quite naturally.
  • jflynch45
    Options
    Well said!:smile: