Losing hope...

Options
Hey everyone. I've been a member of MFP for several years now, and have CONSTANTLY fluctuated my weight. I was down almost 50 pounds a little over a year ago, and was SO happy with my body. We found out that we were pregnant, and I was OVERJOYED that I was in such a healthy state before my pregnancy. I maintained a healthy weight all during pregnancy, and lost about 20 pounds within 2 weeks after giving birth. Since then (my son is 7 months), I have gained about 20 pounds back, and am so sad and disappointed with myself.

I can't seem to get motivated to work out OR eat properly. I'm breastfeeding, so I use that as an excuse to eat everything in sight. Also, I come up with every excuse in the book not to exercise. I need some motivation or SOMETHING. I need to get healthy, and I NEED to be active with my son.

Thanks in advance for any words of motivation or support.

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    then just do, tell the voices in your head to shh!

What worked for me was for every excuse I made, I would have to do 1-5 burpees or pushups...my boyfriend would hold me to it.
    also I have learned that I am not perfect, I have failed and I have gained...but I wont give up, I just keep going...keep walking, lifting jogging and enjoying myself.

love the food you eat
    love the exercise you do
    love yourself cause there is only 1 you
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Start with one habit and build on it. Like, drinking a full 8 glasses of water every day, logging all your food honestly for a few days, adding a veggie or fruit to your diet or pack up the stroller and go for a walk. Just pick one, work on that good habit and then start adding more. Baby steps.
  • mygrneyes20
    Options
    Just so you know you are beautiful with that 20lbs. You know I am always here to walk with you or go get a healthy lunch. I started to slide down that slippery slope of gaining weight again as well so I know how hard it is to get back into it. Maybe think about P when he is older. Do you want to not be able to play with him or keep up with him for that matter? That is a lot of motivation for me. You know my kids are crazy active and it sucks to not be able to keep up with them sometimes. You'll find your groove again just keep trying. Maybe start out with exercise and then work on the food part later or vise versa. Either way I'm here just tell me what you need. Hugs my friend!
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Start with one habit and build on it. Like, drinking a full 8 glasses of water every day, logging all your food honestly for a few days, adding a veggie or fruit to your diet or pack up the stroller and go for a walk. Just pick one, work on that good habit and then start adding more. Baby steps.

This is perfect advice! It works and it's the easiest way to get back on track!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    While you shouldn't use breast feeding as an excuse, it does change what your body is doing right now. Also, you just gave birth 7 months ago! You probably aren't sleeping and are otherwise going thru some major changes. Don't beat yourself up!

Like everyone else said, start small. If you try to fit everything in right now with everything else going on your life, you will be overwhelmed. Also, talk to your doctor about your calorie/nutrition needs while you are breastfeeding. You might not be able to go as low as you would like to get a huge calorie deficit, so it might be slower than you'd like.
  • cazcarr89
    Options
    Omg it's like someone else telling my story. I was healthy throughout my pregnancy, even going to the gym until about 6months pregnant. I put weight on AFTER i had my daughter, it was through eating takeaways- she fed every 2 hours so we didn't find time to cook, it was also the winter so we didn't get out much. I just lost control of my eating and gained about 35lbs. Here I am 19months down the line and I've lost about 16lbs but still about 20-25lbs to go and I just cant get motivated at all! I don't have much time to get to the gym so my eating has improved but I'm seeing no big difference!

I agree with what people are saying on here and even try do this as much as I can myself; take bambino out with the buggy, swimming, get out whenever wherever you can!

I ate because of boredemn, if I'm out I never think of food!

Old photos are my motivation, I want to be back to what I was pre-pregnancy. Just need a kick up the backside to get there.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on x
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    then just do, tell the voices in your head to shh!

What worked for me was for every excuse I made, I would have to do 1-5 burpees or pushups...my boyfriend would hold me to it.
    also I have learned that I am not perfect, I have failed and I have gained...but I wont give up, I just keep going...keep walking, lifting jogging and enjoying myself.

love the food you eat
    love the exercise you do
    love yourself cause there is only 1 you
    ^^^^^
    This.

You can organize some new food. Foods that are healthy yet satisfying and that you can live with for years to come.
    Organize exercise that is do able and that is maintainable.
    I work out EVERY DAY because I am doing walking, and now it's burning 400-500 cals per day.
    Then, I now eat things I like but that are allowable. I knew if I didn't find foods and exercise I could maintain every day, it would never work for me. I am not in a hurry as before. I don't CARE if it takes a year. My goal CAN be done in half the time, but it doesn't have to. I KNOW iT will work this time. And, I have alot more to lose than you, and I'm not young like you so it's harder for me.
    You can totally lose 20 pounds in about 3 months, or 4 slow and easy.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a roller coaster of events, so don't get so down...but don't give up. Even makeup a small routine to do like a 5 minute circut of squats, pushups, burpees etc... Even a walk with your son during the day will help! :)

And since you are breastfeeding you 'do' need extra nutrition but tell yourself that you have to give your son the right type of nutrition and use that as your motivation to eat the right types of food!!

You've got this. Never give up hope!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I didnt feel like doing anything at all until my sons first birthday - then I realised that I spent 1 whole year focusing on being a wife and mother and I now needed to look after myself. I started small at first, just exercising then gradually i started eating better. I now manage 2 workouts a day and I still make sure I have play time with my son who is almost 2 now. If you are breastfeeding also, it will be difficult. Dont stress too much about it - I know women with 15 year olds trying to lose their baby weight!!!
    You will get the motivation you need, one day a lightbulb will just turn on in your brain and you will be in the zone!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    please don't loose hope. you have one of the best activity centres with you right now. 7 months old, wish mine still were. I used to love being able to play with them. Soon your best friend will be crawling so get down and get active and enjoy each others company. walk to the park, the river, anywhere look at what ever there is to see and talk about it all. They grow up all to fast.