Joining a gym for first time

Options
I start at a gym for the first time in my life tonight and I am so nervous. I don't know anybody who goes there and I know that I am going to be very self conscious. I am in my 40s and was able to stay in shape on my own until about the last 5-6 years when I have gained 40+ lbs. I am so embarrassed and ashamed of how I have let myself go but have been having a hard time getting motivated on my own. I am hoping that by joining the gym, it will help me stay motivated. Any words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Breezy3
    Breezy3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hear your pain and fear about going to the gym for the first time. I just recently joined a gym after not going to one for years. I have only been to a gym twice in my entire life.

I did not know anyone at the gym, but now that I have been going for over a month I am getting to know some people and that is nice. It makes it a lot nicer when you know people for sure. But, you will get to know people.

I am 63. I go to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday to do strength training and on Saturday to do Zumba. I love Zumba. It is dance fitness and lots of fun and burns lots of calories. Joining the gym helps me stay motivated because I am paying money and when I am paying money I am going to utilize it. I try to work with a personal trainer as much as I can because they can get you going in a way that is right for you. I needed to learn how to do my strength training correctly and what best works for me and my physical self, etc.

I got a fitbit too and it helps me to keep motivated too by keeping track of how far I walk, calories I burn, etc. I have lost 24 lbs but still have lots to go. You can do this. Add me as a friend if you would like. This place offers lots of encouragement and keeps me on track with what I am eating and the exercising I am doing, etc.
  • alroher
    alroher Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you so much! I know that I will meet people and I just have to keep that in mind. I will have to check into the fitbit........I need all the help I can to stay motivated!
  • ChristineGoBrigands
    Options
    Don't worry! You'll find the time spent in gym delightfully needed. I'm not the "social" person around. I prefer wiring myself through my iphone and listening to my music the whole time. I find this time very calming. It's actually the only time of the day I can sit around on my own and I enjoy it so much.
    If you follow this kind of gym behavior, remember to make a 45 minutes' playlist and stick with it. Don't let yourself go home, before you listen to the very last song.

Good luck!!! :D
  • dchillin65
    dchillin65 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's and decided a couple of weeks ago to join a gym near my house. I received my two free training sessions and decided to pay for 10 training sessions. I just finished my second session and I'm so happy! I know my way around the elliptical and treadmills, but I wanted to lift weights. I figured I would give weightlifting a try to build muscle and reduce myfat percentage. I was apprehensive at first, but those feelings have past. I feel fearless now! Determined woman on a mission!! 

I’m glad you made the decision to join. Good luck.