Has 5:2 worked for you?

Options
I'm starting the 5:2 IF or whatever today. :D
On "Normal" days, I will be eating 1500 calories, which is more than enough to fill me up for the day.
On the diet days, I'm aiming for 500 cals or less.

I just wanted to know if this plan (or a variation of it) has worked for you? I do get in 2-4 mile walks occasionally whenever my friends want to go out, so there's my (very minimal) exercise. Haha. c:

And any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• pickleRH83
    pickleRH83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the 5:2 diet today as well, will have to let us know how you get on! I admit I've been relatively OK so far this morning, I tried to go with the advice of people who had been doing it for a while and said it was easier to curb hunger pangs on fast days by not having breakfast and eating a little later. As a persistent grazer I started to flail a little around 10am and had a rice cracker, then an apple around 40 minutes later. I felt a bit foggy headed around 11am but have now eaten a small salad and a bowl of homemade soup so hopefully this will keep me going for a while.

Good luck with it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it's worked for me but I did it properly!! :smile:

If you heavily restrict your calories on your five days you are doing it wrong - please don't, big calorie deficits are neither necessary or even beneficial. The calorie deficit over the course of a week is only supposed to be from the two fasting days.
    Bearing in mind that the plan assumes you eat "normally" on your five days most people on MFP set their goal to maintain (TDEE).

Do some research, read the book, join the two 5:2 groups on here and only then decide whether to give it a go or not.
  • tessa113
    tessa113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No it did not work for me, I craved unhealthy foods all the time whereas I usually have a healthy diet and rarely crave rubbish foods. I was always exhausted and my exercise dropped to nearly nothing, I'm sure that it does work for some if not most people but I tried it for 5 months, lost nothing and felt terrible.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What he said, lots of info on the 2 groups dedicated to this approach - come and join us, we're a friendly bunch!

In short, it works for some people. The first few fasts are the hardest - get through them whatever way you can, and then make adjustments. Dont be expecting quick results.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the 5:2 IF or whatever today. :D
    On "Normal" days, I will be eating 1500 calories, which is more than enough to fill me up for the day.
    On the diet days, I'm aiming for 500 cals or less.

I just wanted to know if this plan (or a variation of it) has worked for you? I do get in 2-4 mile walks occasionally whenever my friends want to go out, so there's my (very minimal) exercise. Haha. c:

And any tips would be greatly appreciated!

5:2 is a more laid back version of the plan I did for weight loss, alternate day IF ie JUDDD (every other day rotations). Yes, it worked brilliantly for me and it gave me some really good tools, that I now use in maintenance :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I did IF lean gains for a while and liked it ..

All I will say is that fasting is not some magic fat loss bullet...it still revolves around eating in deficit and moving more...however, it seems to work for a lot of people, as it teaches them what "hunger" really is...if it fits into your lifestyle do it and good luck to you ..
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes it has worked for me. TDEE or around on non fast days, 500 calories or around on fasting days. I keep myself busy on fasting days, drink plenty of water, black coffee and sugar free squash to stave off any hunger. I do not have breakfast just have a cup of milk tea, then soup and a banana for lunch. Fish or chicken with either steamed fresh veg and salad for dinner. Good luck on your journey!
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It's worked very well for me - I've lost 56 lbs in 28 weeks and found it very easy indeed to do so. The fast days are easy once you get used to them - just drink buckets of water when you feel you're hungry and tell yourself that it's only 1 day - tomorrow, you can eat what you want!

I restrict my calories a little (maybe 200-300 cals under TDEE) on my non-fast days, but I eat plenty, and that includes loads of meals out in restaurants etc.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me. I lost 11lbs in first month and I steadily lose each week. My portions are no longer out of control, I understand hunger now and my health is the best it's ever been. For me it's all about health and the weight loss is an added bonus.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    Thank you all! :D My TDEE isn't very high anyways and 1500 falls only a few hundred below it, but I won't fret if I go over, so that's that... And I actually had a week or so where I only ate small dinners and nothing else during the day due to stress and being busy. It wasn't too hard, so I think this should be okay for me... :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Works well for me. 2 weeks of dinner canceling and 3 months of 5:2 (- 2 weeks during vacation) has given me a 12kg loss! I feel great and have lots of energy.

I eat 500-550cals on two days per week - mostly Mon/Thurs.
    Feed days at around 1800 cals (TDEE) and eat everything - sweets within reason, but regulary
    Workout 4-5x per week, a mix of cardio and strength (1500-2500cals used). I eat some of these back on feed days. On average maybe 1/3-2/3 over the course of a week. Not counting the 3-4 horseback rides per week.

I avoid simple carbs on fast days, stick to lean proteins (chicken breast, eggs, tuna, cottage cheese etc), lots of veggies and some berries (seasonal). If I'm really hungry, I add lemon juice to my water. Fasts are usually very easy and I don't feel like bingeing on feed days.

For me it's a tool, I can and will use for the rest of my life - first to lose the weight, then to maintain.

Good luck!