Low carb dieters??

Options
2»

Replies

• phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have recently been on a big push to up my protein and decrease my carbs.

The last week or so, I've mostly been under 100g, some days as low as 66g. But I'm trying to selectively reduce my carbs. I will not restrict any fresh vegetables. I'm not a huge fruit fan, so that's usually not an issue. What I strive for is reducing all of the starchy carbs - bread/pasta/rice/potatoes.

I try to limit myself to one tortilla or wrap a day. Found some awesome pita/tortilla things from Joseph's with flax seed and only 8 carbs per yummy wrap. And that one wrap is usually at breakfast or lunch. Dinner I try to keep to salad, meat and veggies.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been a low carb person for many years. But then I usually succumb to the evils of sugar again.

Rather than count carbs you can do this more naturally. The key is to eliminate sugar and grains from your diet ... grains include corn, wheat, rice, pasta and other grain-based products.

This makes it easy - no need to count carbs. The idea behind low carb is that your appetite for sweets disappears in about 3 days. If you take in too many carbs you will still crave sweets and grains and will be back to having to rely on willpower.

One thing though .... on the no sugar/no grains approach you still have to keep the calories in the 1500 range daily to lose weight.

I eat lots of salad with every meal .... romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded cheese and small amt of nuts .... with just light olive oil as dressing. I only eat an egg for breakfast with my coffee and half-and-half. I have a nice protein for lunch (usually some rotisserie chicken) and a reasonable protein for dinner .... chicken, rib eye or seafood. I also have a side veggie for dinner (e.g., green beans). I have no more than 2 tbsps of natural peanut butter (just nuts crushed into peanut butter) and a decaf coffee in the evening while watching television to mitigate the nighttime snacking. I try to do 20 minutes of movement after dinner (slow jog, walk, etc.).

Even though I'm not counting carbs I checked my food diary for the last three days. I have not really thought once about how many carbs I was eating. Here are the numbers: Friday 113, Saturday 28 and Sunday 13.

I'm three days clean and "sober" (no sugar or grains). I've dropped 10.8 lbs in three days (mostly fluid weight). You can do it. It is a change in the way we think. But you can do it.

Tom
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I kind of look at it another way by eating more protein and cutting back on carbs. I have set MFP to 105g of protein per day out of my 1200 calories, this proportionally has calculated 135g of carbs and 27g of fat. I try hard to make up the protein totals and just generally don't have many separate straight carbs ie loads of extra veg and no potato etc, avoid sandwiches and have protein with salad or veg instead. This works for me :)
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I do the zone way 40-30-30
    Too low is not realistic.

what is this?

This is how she splits her macros in % = 40% protein / 30% carbs / 30% fat

oh I see, thank you...
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am unsettled about the entire low carb situation. I am a diabetic and need so many carbs to keep things balanced. I find if I have a carb of some sort in a small amount each meal it works for me . I am not going to cut out my pasta,rice or potato...........just decreased from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup of potato at times and 1/2 cup from 1 cup of pasta and rice dishes. Never go over a small potato. The only thing I stay away from are breads,pastries and cakes. I go all natural sugar for the most part. .I guess if you have no medical condition it my be easier to decrease to a lower level without problems arising .

Couple follow ups:

* Why do you need carbs to keep your blood sugar balanced?
    * What problems arise from eating too low carbs?
    * Are you T1 or T2?

I'm T2 diabetic. Given that carbs are the primary sources of blood glucose (protein and some fat can break down to sugar, though it's far more inefficient) I don't understand the mechanism in which being devoid of carbs would cause blood sugar fluctuations in you.

Your answer...is what we got taught at uni. which is right??
  • Busymomof003
    Busymomof003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I looked at my average percent, and I almost ALWAYS fall into 40% carbs- when I'm not trying to do low carb. So I figure if I can eat clean and get lower than 40% carbs, I've made progress! I also realized my fiber was low, despite eating 'healthy' low carb or not. So maybe try to keep fiber high and that will keep a good balance of calories and low carb... because it's tempting to eat a lot of eggs meat and cheese!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I try to come in around or under 100g of carbs a day. My carbs are primarily from veg & fruit rather than bread / pasta / rice / cornflakes etc. I'll have the odd slice of toast if I fancy it though.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat 20-50 a day and it works for me.
  • laydeejamz
    laydeejamz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been a low carb person for many years. But then I usually succumb to the evils of sugar again.

Rather than count carbs you can do this more naturally. The key is to eliminate sugar and grains from your diet ... grains include corn, wheat, rice, pasta and other grain-based products.

This makes it easy - no need to count carbs. The idea behind low carb is that your appetite for sweets disappears in about 3 days. If you take in too many carbs you will still crave sweets and grains and will be back to having to rely on willpower.

One thing though .... on the no sugar/no grains approach you still have to keep the calories in the 1500 range daily to lose weight.

I eat lots of salad with every meal .... romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded cheese and small amt of nuts .... with just light olive oil as dressing. I only eat an egg for breakfast with my coffee and half-and-half. I have a nice protein for lunch (usually some rotisserie chicken) and a reasonable protein for dinner .... chicken, rib eye or seafood. I also have a side veggie for dinner (e.g., green beans). I have no more than 2 tbsps of natural peanut butter (just nuts crushed into peanut butter) and a decaf coffee in the evening while watching television to mitigate the nighttime snacking. I try to do 20 minutes of movement after dinner (slow jog, walk, etc.).

Even though I'm not counting carbs I checked my food diary for the last three days. I have not really thought once about how many carbs I was eating. Here are the numbers: Friday 113, Saturday 28 and Sunday 13.

I'm three days clean and "sober" (no sugar or grains). I've dropped 10.8 lbs in three days (mostly fluid weight). You can do it. It is a change in the way we think. But you can do it.

Tom

Wow 10.8lbs that's awesome!
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay at 20-30g of carbs whenever I can but it's seriously hard; I'm not sure it's for me in the long run. But trying to get my IBS symptoms under control, then I'll be reintroducing carbs especially grains slowly to see how then affect me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I try and keep mine under 100g a day, but don't ever go under 50g. I read that maintenance was 150g, under was fat burning...seems to work for me. This is a life long choice, my body hates carbs. I've also upped my cardio (i'm not a marathon runner, I walk and do elliptical) and I eat full fats and high protein. I tried doing 20-30g a day, but I got way to irritated. I eat my carbs at night mostly because I work out at night. Good Luck, just do some research and see what works best for you.
  • nitnoo
    nitnoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love low carb! It's the only diet I've ever been able to stick with.

I start out with 20g a day for two weeks. Then slowly add in nuts and fruit and keep carbs under 40 for 2 more weeks. Then I tend to stay at about 50-60 for as long as possible. I lost 33 pounds in 20 weeks. Then last month I went on a 3-week sugar/carb binge, gained 10 pounds... and restarted induction (20g/day) a week ago. Going strong again! :)
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm T2 diabetic. I eat primal, and under 25g of carbs a day and have been under 25g for a year and a half. I don't eat wheat or grains, and my only carbs come from veggies, berries (the only fruit I eat) nuts and seeds. I am now 111 pounds lighter and love low carb. For me there is no better lifestyle especially when my HbA1c (I am in the UK) is between 4.9 and 5.1. I never eat anything processed and usually only one ingredient foods apart from Greek yogurt and cheese. I love being in ketosis I feel wonderful. I am heading toward my 50's and feel better than I did all through my thirties and early 40's.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    T2 diabetic here also. I find that my body can tolerate 80-90 carbs daily, and my blood glucose stays under control fairly well. If I go above 90, I gain weight and my blood glucose spikes.

I envy those that can eat anything in their calorie range despite the carb count!