Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone else not counting calories?

I have been making a good effort this summer to refrain from emotional eating and clean living/eating. I ride my bike an hour a day and eat healthy. I have not been counting calories. I weigh myself approximately once a week but aim for weighing once a month. I have lost 16 pounds in 2 month and I would like to loose 20 more to make it into the healthy BMI range. I had an eating disorder in my 20s and while I no longer binge, I tend to overeat when stressed. Counting calories or focusing on numbers too much tends to make me want to binge, and frankly I rather be overweight than to start binge eating again. Anyone else finding it easier to loose weight and staying sane when not counting calories or keeping a food diary?

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    A lot of the people using this site use it to either:

1. Count calories
    2. Log work outs
    3. Chit chat/ banter

You may not find many rowing in the same boat as you OP.

BUT, do what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    I have been making a good effort this summer to refrain from emotional eating and clean living/eating. I ride my bike an hour a day and eat healthy. I have not been counting calories. I weigh myself approximately once a week but aim for weighing once a month. I have lost 16 pounds in 2 month and I would like to loose 20 more to make it into the healthy BMI range. I had an eating disorder in my 20s and while I no longer binge, I tend to overeat when stressed. Counting calories or focusing on numbers too much tends to make me want to binge, and frankly I rather be overweight than to start binge eating again. Anyone else finding it easier to loose weight and staying sane when not counting calories or keeping a food diary?

I don't count calories at all.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    I dont count calories either, I have lost 62 pounds in 3 months
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    That's amazing progress. 8 pounds a month is no joke. You've found something that works for you and that's awesome.

I think that a lot of Paleo-followers no longer count calories once they get all their macros in order.

Good job on your weight loss!
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    I don't count calories, never did. I do log some of the exercising, not always cause I also keep it on paper, so...
    I basically use the site for info.
  • I count here and there. I do a good job of portion control and good choices. My weight is slowly coming off so it's working. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Quitting the counting calories.

I lost a bunch in my first 6 months here, ate very little and gained it all back. I have spent the last year on different calories goals and no success losing what I gained back. Becoming obsessed with calorie counting sabatoged me and now I am focusing more on exercise and portions.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Counting calories stresses me out, but I still log occasionally just to get an idea of where I'm at for the day (lately I've been undereating more than anything).

I was really good about counting a while back, though, and I got good at eyeballing portion sizes and estimating calories, so I still have a general idea of what I'm eating even if I'm not tracking every little thing.
  • lolsauce
    lolsauce Posts: 36 Member
    I actually started using myfitnesspall last year and used it to count calories and track my exercise. After everything started getting really busy I stopped counting calories while still remaining conscious of what I ate. I went around 6 months without counting calories and my weight remained completely stagnant. It was really frustrating so I decided to count calories again and already I'm losing weight. Everyone is different so different things work for different people.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    I actually started using myfitnesspall last year and used it to count calories and track my exercise. After everything started getting really busy I stopped counting calories while still remaining conscious of what I ate. I went around 6 months without counting calories and my weight remained completely stagnant. It was really frustrating so I decided to count calories again and already I'm losing weight. Everyone is different so different things work for different people.

That was me. I was losing weight consistently while logging. I stopped logging to see if I had learned enough to keep it up. I did for a month...then I started either staying the same weight or gaining a couple of pounds. I am now back to logging. Having trouble getting the weight lost going though. :(
  • MishelW
    MishelW Posts: 24 Member
    I think for me the logging of what I eat helps me really SEE what I am consuming THAT in itself is a wake up call. Once I realized how unhealthy my choices where THAT is when I decided to do something SERIOUSLY. I tried the Calorie thing and don't care for it. I'm doing the Atkins now and we will see. But just like anything diet is individual and a learning process for those who don't know how to eat healthy. Especially those of us who used to have eating disorders... Luck to you my friend!
    Add me for support! :-)