Does this make sense to anyone?

carreen
carreen Posts: 175 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm on day 10 of my diet. The first 5 days I lost 4 pounds, and I did NOT exercise at all. For the last 4 days, I have continued to diet PLUS I have worked out every day, and not only, have I not lost any more, but I actually put a pound back on. I've not cheated on the food one bite!

Does that make sense to anyone?

Replies

• It could be losing water weight, then gaining it back, weight fluctuations from food or time of month
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    It's normal to lose a large amount of weight (water weight) in the first week or so, then the weight loss will slow down. Some people lose at a steady rate, some have said they lose it in spurts. Keep up what you're doing.
  • Hi,

Depending on what kind of exercise you are doing - muscle is heavier than fat, so maybe check your measurements too.

B
  • kittyfish
    kittyfish Posts: 1 Member
    you really should only weigh yourself once a week. i do it every Friday morning. your going to go up and down during the week.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself more often than once a week, maybe even once a month. Weight can fluctuate for a number of reasons. I wouldn't want you to get discouraged based on what the scale says. Keep doing what your doing (eating healthy and exercising), but take a break from the scale for at least a week.
  • smartyinaz
    smartyinaz Posts: 4 Member
    Keep in mind that you are in this for the long term. If it were quick and easy, it wouldn't mean as much and wouldn't last. Your transformation may be happening from the inside out. If you are doing the right things (and it sounds like you are), the results will come in due time.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    With the exercise and additional calorie burn from that are you sure you're eating enough? If you don't eat enough your body will hold on to everything.

I understand the opinions of others on weighing only once a week or once a month, but that is not what I do. I weigh everyday and I have a spreadsheet to log my weight so I can see the weight loss trend over time. I also look at the average for the week. It works for me and it is very motivating for me, but do what works for you. If weighing everyday and seeing those fluctuations in weight is upsetting to you don't do it, but if you can see those fluctuations and know that it is completely normal and just watch for the trend, then do that. For me, weighing first thing every morning, gets me to think of my fitness goals first thing in the morning and it really keeps me motivated.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    as the others say the 1st week you can count as all water!
    sorry to break the news but hey at least you know you will be getting rid of the fat now instead!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    In addition to losing water weight in the beginning, if you were used to eating a lot more than you should eat, that means that you may have had a lot of ... well... excess processed food in your system... that may have cleared out in those first couple days as you lowered your food intake. :) Much like you weigh more after you eat, you weigh less after the opposite endocrine functions. :) It sounds like your body is just balancing into it's actual starting point now.
  • I personally know how that is. I am a nurse and work with a Doctor who does a weight loss class and she says usually the first 5-10lbs is fluid lost and with exersicing you might put a few pound numbers on when you jump on the scale but you should really also be doing measurements because you are propbably losing inches which will make your clothes fill looser. Does that help or make sense?? Keep doing your workouts and it will pay off I promise!
    Barb
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    once you started exercising, are you adding your "exercise calories" to your daily caloric intake? if you have not been doing that, that means you are "starving" your body and therefore instead of losing the weight, your body decided to hold on to everything..

when you exercise, you get an extra alloawnce and you should eat at least 90% of those calories if not 100%.

If on the other hand you have been doing that and still gained weight, then may be it is "water retention" due to sodium, or building muscle [not much weight gain though).. in this case i would check my sodium intake and water intake. Make sure that you are fully hydrated. Most importantly, check how you fit in your clothes. You might be losing inches and not pounds.

Additonally, you will lose more weight at the start since you are cutting down on the processed food and eating a balanced diet. it is always the case but then your body should settle into a "normal" rythm of losing weight.
    Stay with it no matter what..:flowerforyou:
    all the best
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate it! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.