What shoes do you wear during lifting?

Options
I just bought a pair of barefoot merrells to try out tonight. I was just curious if there is specific shoes that are better for lifting. I was told that generic running shoes with inclines can sometimes effect your balance during lifting.

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams. I think a lot of people wear Converse or other super-flat shoes.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Flat soled shoes. Chuck Taylor are great
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    vibrums

New Balance minimus
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    vibrams. or barefoot if I forgot it was a lifting day.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    All Star Chuck Taylors
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I always wear my Vibram Komodosport LS.......
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Five Fingers
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Black Gucci Loafs
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Barefoot. Well, socks actually. Dark colored socks so the black rubber gym floors don't stain.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Barefoot. Well, socks actually. Dark colored socks so the black rubber gym floors don't stain.

Most gyms I know of don't allow barefoot lifting, or even lifting in sandals
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You can use my guest pass.

They're OK as long as I stay in my area doing deadlifts and squats, etc, where there's very little risk of something dropping on my foot. I put my shoes back on to walk around the gym or if I'm in the dumbbell area, etc.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I wear weightlifting shoes for weightlifting, Adipowers, bright red, just to make sure you don't miss them!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

technically we have a rule against it at our gym- but I've never seen anyone kicked out or reprimanded- why on gods green earth would you walk around in gym barefoot- I have no idea. It's disgusting.

I see people walk out of the locker room barefoot- I can't even imagine.

I mostly see sock lifters though if anything- it's mildly less shocking- but I kind of feel like if you want to lift barefoot- or in your socks- you should lift at home.
    I wear weightlifting shoes for weightlifting,

we had a long conversation about this on another forum- and I agree right tool for the right job- there is a point where you need a multi-tool.

And I have always maintained- that as long as I am doing ALL the things- I will use a shoe that allows me to do ALL the things moderately well- but the day I dedicate my workouts to PURELY weightlifting- will be the day I got buy a dedicated weight lifting shoe.

one day maybe- but I'm too busy doing everything else right now LOL
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I wear socks currently, but I have a bench press in my garage. No gym membership. :/
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    New Balance 510 (http://www.newbalance.com/New-Balance-510/MT510,default,pd.html?dwvar_MT510_color=Black_with_Grey&start=18&cgid=101000) Yeah they are running shoes, not lifting shoes, but it's what I got.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    New Balance minimus

^Those.
  • rakufire
    rakufire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Vibram Fivefingers. Mainly just cos it creeps people out, and I find that fun.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Vibrams or my New Balance Minimus.

Will get a pair of lifting shoes eventually, but they are kind of pricy so I'm going to have to save up a bit.
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about this too. Did you know they sell shoes specifically for weight lifting? They look like 1970's style sneakers, but they are expensive. I've had Chuck Taylors recommended to me, so I bought some PF Flyers from 6pm.com for $20. They seem to do the job, but I honestly just end up wearing my running shoes most of the time since I like to run after I lift and don't want to carry around a bag full of shoes all day.