All Calories Are Created Equal?!

Options
So, do you really believe a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie? If so, why? And, thank you!

Replies

• babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So, do you really believe a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie? If so, why? And, thank you!

This is what I think a calorie is:

Definition of CALORIE
    a : the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius that is equal to about 4.19 joules —abbreviation cal —called also gram calorie, small calorie
    b : the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius : 1000 gram calories or 3.968 Btu —abbreviation Cal —called also large calorie
    a : a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body
    b : an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

m-w
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I do know that information, I guess what I was trying to ask, is, in your meals, does your body, personally treat all calories the same?

My body does not tolerate over 80 grams of carbohydrates daily, without the scale going up. I am diabetic, so know that can vary from one person to the next, I am just curious about other people's experience with calories! Thanks.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes. Science.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

My body does not tolerate over 80 grams of carbohydrates daily, . I am diabetic,

You said it yourself, you are diabetic so you have to control your carbs. For healthy people YES a Calorie is A Calorie no matter what. a 150 calories of Celery = 1 twinkie. Volume would be way different but Calories are equal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. It is a measure of energy. What is not equal is the nutritive value behind each calorie of different food sources.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. It is a measure of energy. What is not equal is the nutritive value behind each calorie of different food sources.

+1
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So I wish I were not diabetic. ;-) Then I could enjoy that pop tart, in place on skinless boneless chicken breast, lol.

Thank you everyone!! If I go up in my carbs at all, above 90, the scale climbs!! Glad it is not like that for the rest of you!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This^

As far as weight loss goes, a calorie is a calorie, but overall health and body composition is affected by the vitamin and minerals in the foods you eat.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie the same way a dog is a dog, or a cat is a cat. It is what it is.

However, protein doesn't equal fat doesn't equal carbs. The body processes them differently.

But each one has a different amount of energy (calories) that it provides the body. Your change in body weight will be determined by this energy balance (well except for water weight and other things). Basically, extra energy (too many calories) is stored as fat.

Calories are a useful way to manage your energy balance and thus your weight, but it is also good to think of nutrition beyond just calories.