Length of time vs. weight loss

Options
Is losing 29 lbs. in 50 days a good rate? It seems SO slow!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

2 lbs a week is considered "healthy". 29 pounds roughly 7 weeks is 4 lbs a week. It is not slow.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's not slow, it's actually too fast unless you have a lot to lose and some it is the water weight you lose quickly in the first week or two. You didn't gain weight that quickly and it doesn't/shouldn't come off that way either.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    That is averaging 4 pounds a week and not considered So Slow as you say... Losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week is a normal and healthy weight loss
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Bye Bye Muscle
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    It took me 2 years to lose 30 lbs.

50 days to lose the same amount is NOT slow. Two years is slow.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

It took me almost one year to lose 13 lbs. But you know what? I have been in maintenance, with only a =/- 1 lb fluctuation, for two and half years!!

Slow wins the battle my friend. :wink:
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    That's actually quite fast, as others have indicated. I lost 47 pounds in 8 months. (Gained 15 back. Boo.) As someone else said, it is likely you're losing a fair amount of muscle with a loss that big that quickly. Unless you have 100+ to lose, you should aim for 1-2 pounds a week. And, honestly, 2 pounds a week is a pretty lofty goal if you have less than 50 to go.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Only The Biggest Loser contestants lose weight faster than that. And they aren't exactly able to sustain it, as a rule.
  • barb16lee
    barb16lee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did lose a good bit in the beginning and I have about 150 to lose altogether. I'm eating all my calories, yes, even the exercise ones, so I don't think I'm doing anything stupid. Just asking because I seem to be a little stuck where I am. One pound up, one pound down and back and forth. It's frustrating.
  • barb16lee
    barb16lee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You're real helpful. Thanks.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think the more you have to lose the faster it will come off in the beginning. I lost my weight since March 8th, 5 months? It seems slow but I am willing to trade slow for calories lol OI have about 40 more to go, so I had quite a bit to lose initially also.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any, and I've been at this several months! Kudos to you for losing 29lbs!!!
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not slow at all. I'm now 8 months (almost 9 actually) into my weight loss and have lost 52lbs (been there for a little while now but I know why). While there were times I was dropping 4+ lbs a week for the most part I've lost between 1/2 - 2lbs a week and I've also gained on some weeks -- or, like the last two months I've struggled with losing more (gained 5 or 6 and lost them again and am now back on track).

While it is possible to lose a LOT of weight in a short period for someone who needs to lose a lot, it's also very likely that if they are not careful they will gain it, or a lot of it anyway, back. Losing the weight fast shouldn't be the goal but rather changing your life in such a way that you both lose weight and keep it off.

Just my 2c
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did lose a good bit in the beginning and I have about 150 to lose altogether. I'm eating all my calories, yes, even the exercise ones, so I don't think I'm doing anything stupid. Just asking because I seem to be a little stuck where I am. One pound up, one pound down and back and forth. It's frustrating.

I agree with others that is a pretty fast rate. I don't necessarily think it is *too* fast. 1-2 pounds a week is considered healthy for most people, BUT if you are quite overweight to begin with I've heard that 1% of your body weight a week is a reasonable goal after the first few weeks of restricting. I also don't think that when you have lots of excess body fat (I'm talking about me now too) that the body is going to go after muscle. Why would it? Fat is easier to convert into energy, and you are using your muscles to move around the weight. It's far different for people who have just a little body fat.

It will slow down though, and it isn't linear. Lots of times I'll go a week or more without losing anything, and then poof...two pounds are gone. Just be consistent and it will come off. If you maintain for an unreasonable amount of time (I would say 3 weeks or so at your current size) then you might want to re-evaluate your calories.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've been losing on average 2#/week since starting on April 8th that's 38.4# in 18 weeks. I started at 326# & now weight 287.4. I really pushed hard and lost 3+ pounds two weeks in a row. I know I would not be able to keep that up for very long, and in fact the following week I only lost a half pound. I have a goal of Christmas 2014 to lose 150 and I am on track so far. I know it will get harder as I lose more, and I have plans to change up my work-outs & play with my calories if/when I hit a plateau. Be patient - you're doing great. Your body may be getting used to your routine, so you might want to change it up a bit. Slow and steady wins the race!