Slimming tablets

Options
Can anyone give advise.

I was given slimming tablets from the doctor and - yes they were showing results, but my blood tests showed that the liver wasn't at all happy. I have now stopped taking them and have put on everything all over again. So should I go back on them or not? Doctor would support me either way but she says its my decision. Might go back and see her for a chat.

Replies

• YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think that you only have one liver, and if it didn't like the slimming tablets, you should avoid them, and stick to healthy eating and physical activity. Your liver, as well as the rest of your body, are likely to be happy and healthy, with this plan! That's just my two cents worth, good luck!
  • John8188
    Options
    I wouldn't take them. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. You can get the same results with just a little hard work and eating right. You don't need a pill to do it for you.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    My personal choice is no drugs. Eating a lot of fresh fruit and vegies is the best way, with exercise. It is a slow process, but so worth it in the long run!:flowerforyou:
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    First I have to tell you that I don't like such pills, powders and that stuff at all. I'm not against it, but it's nothing I would ever use. I'm telling you this, so you know where I'm comming from.

Now,
    I do understand that you wanna lose weight. That's why most of us are here. But I don't think it is the right way, if your liver already showed you that this stuff isn't good for you at all.
    Most pills and pwders will give yyou a weight loss in the beginning. And with most you will gain that weight back (and probably some more) once you stop using them. The reason isn't that they are not working. The reason is that taking them changes NOTHING about your own habits. You stop using them and eat as before ... and of course you will gain.
    Pills, even when they are prescribed by a doc have side effects. And obviously you have seen what these specific tablets can do to you. Your blood isn't all that good due to liver probs. And that's a very bad sign. My stepdad was on diabetic pills for 5 years (this has nothing to do with your prob, but wait a sec and yu'll see why I'm telling you). These pills were supposed to help him. Now they kill him, because after 5 years his liver gave up and his chances are bad. So what was supposed to make him live longer and healthier did the opposite.
    I don't want this to happen to you (or anybody on this planet).
    Weight losing is good for you. But if there is a risk of cusing damage to your body or if you're not 100 % sure you are willing to take the risk, then don't do it.
    The old fashioned way is slower and harder, yes, but in the end it's also much safer.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yup, only one liver and only one YOU!:heart: There is not a quick fix....just stick to MFP, logging all of your cals and making exercise and drinking your water a priority. The scale will cooperate. You will be forming lifestyle changes...not just being on a diet. This is the way you will eat for good because your health is a priority. This is longlasting! I think taking a pill may indeed help curbe your appetite...but plays tricks on your psyche. :ohwell: You must believe that you can do this and continue to do this without a pill. It is your sheer willpower and choice everyday that will empower you to continue to stay on track.:wink:

Oh well, that is my 2 cents worth! I do wish you well and great success on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that whatever path you take I wish you success.

My view, similar to some of those already posted, is that this has to be a sustainable lifestyle change for the better. Disregarding your liver problems just for a moment it has already been proven to you that as soon as you stop taking the diet pills you will put the weight back on. Therefore it would be no use to you managing to lose weight by restarting the diet pills as even if you manage to attain your goal weight as soon as you stop taking the pills you will gain weight again. Add to this the complication you have of the pills affecting your liver which would surely mean you couldn't take these tablets for any period of time.

For me this is about making healthier choices without denying the odd indulgence and upping exercise to ensure I can maintain my weight loss and overall fitness.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    I'm in the no to all pills team too - just out of curiosity what king of pills were they?
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with all the recommendations you have been getting from your
    MFP friends. I would not take those pills. Pills don't work. I took a prescription once
    for weight loss from my doctor and I was up most of the night with the jitters.:noway:
    I never took them again.:frown: You just have to eat right and exercise. It takes a little longer
    but your results will last. Hard work and patience and you will see results. Just look
    at the weight loss figures from your MFP friends. Good luck with your journey. We are
    all on a life journey. Just how to do what to spend it. :flowerforyou: