Help With Squats!!!

I'm wanting to do Insanity Workout but I did a couple practice squats and I felt my left knee start to burn and strain. :( I'm 99% sure that I had correct form, doing the squat. Anything I can do besides the squats so I don't injure myself?

Replies

• kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    For one, you could get a knee brace. Secondly, you could start off making your squats less deep. Make sure that your knees never extend past your toes-if you can take your arm and point it straight down in front of your knee and your fingers are in front of your big toe, that's a no-no. Bring your butt farther back. I'm on the 7th week of insanity and I know I've been having some issues with that, and my right knee has been starting to give me some problems after I finish my workouts, so I'm getting a brace. I highly recommend trying insanity though, I have a lot of fun with it.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    I also heard around my gym about the sports tape that athletes use. They say it works great for support.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    - feet point outward about 30 degrees
    - as you squat down drive your knees outward so they track over your feet. [do not worry about knees extending past your toes. this is not an issue when squatting]
    - big breath inhale at the top and hold it through the squat. let it out when you're back near the top
    - keep back arched
    - squat all the way down. the crease of your hips should get just below the plane at the top of your knees. deeper is ok; shallower is not

after you feel you've established the mobility, this exercise is actually easier with a loaded barbell
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Pull up a kitchen chair, stand in front of it and stop just short of sitting down. That is what my physical therapist has me do. Always thought you squatted straight down but nope, gotta push that booty back. Look on youtube for a physical therapist showing how to do them right! Good luck and take care of that knee!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    ^^^ Indeed, it's like a sitting back onto a chair. good cue
  • Ok, meat head here. First of all, unless you have an underlying joint issue there should be no knee pain involved with a squat. You can get jumpers/runners knee or tendinitis, but that usually only happens when you are working with high weight or an extreme amount or repetitions. 99% of the time knee pain from squatting is the result of bad form. Don't take it personal. I would strongly emphasize the sitting motion that stacey mentioned, this is exactly how you want to think about it. I would add that you want your feet anywhere from shoulder width to maybe two foot widths wider than that. Your toes should point out slightly, it should feel natural so don't force this part. On the concentric motion, the "sitting" part, your knees should track inline with the angle of your foot. Your knees can move out a little, but do not let them move inward at all, ever. Your knees can move forward lightly, but should never pass the toes. Ideally your shoulders should stay in line with your knees, although this is less important if you are not using weights. You should start your movement by pushing your butt back/out, not bending your legs. It is extremely important that you do not round your back what so ever, looking up a little bit usually helps with this. On the eccentric motion you should push off of your heels and try to keep the weight off of your toes. Focus on squeezing your glutes and driving your hips forward as opposed to just standing up. Think of trying to tilt your tailbone down as you get to the top, this will force you to really squeeze the glutes. Its also really important that you don't let your knees move inward. I really cant emphasize that enough. Most importantly listen to your body. There is a difference between feeling "the burn" and feeling pain. If something legitimately hurts don't do it. Unfortunately, where squats are concerned there really are not many substitutions, especially ones that wouldn't have an equal effect on your knee.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your work out.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Thank you guys!
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    My problem was my feet weren't pointed slightly outward. I did my squats the way you guys described them and it felt fantastic! Thank you so much!!!!
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Ok, meat head here. First of all, unless you have an underlying joint issue there should be no knee pain involved with a squat. You can get jumpers/runners knee or tendinitis, but that usually only happens when you are working with high weight or an extreme amount or repetitions. 99% of the time knee pain from squatting is the result of bad form. Don't take it personal. I would strongly emphasize the sitting motion that stacey mentioned, this is exactly how you want to think about it. I would add that you want your feet anywhere from shoulder width to maybe two foot widths wider than that. Your toes should point out slightly, it should feel natural so don't force this part. On the concentric motion, the "sitting" part, your knees should track inline with the angle of your foot. Your knees can move out a little, but do not let them move inward at all, ever. Your knees can move forward lightly, but should never pass the toes. Ideally your shoulders should stay in line with your knees, although this is less important if you are not using weights. You should start your movement by pushing your butt back/out, not bending your legs. It is extremely important that you do not round your back what so ever, looking up a little bit usually helps with this. On the eccentric motion you should push off of your heels and try to keep the weight off of your toes. Focus on squeezing your glutes and driving your hips forward as opposed to just standing up. Think of trying to tilt your tailbone down as you get to the top, this will force you to really squeeze the glutes. Its also really important that you don't let your knees move inward. I really cant emphasize that enough. Most importantly listen to your body. There is a difference between feeling "the burn" and feeling pain. If something legitimately hurts don't do it. Unfortunately, where squats are concerned there really are not many substitutions, especially ones that wouldn't have an equal effect on your knee.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your work out.

^This

Watch this video series all the way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    You can get jumpers/runners knee or tendinitis, but that usually only happens when you are working with high weight or an extreme amount or repetitions.

That should explain my knee pain. I also used to run for an hour on the eliptical and go to 2 zumba classes. That is a lot of cardio on a regular basis (yeah went 5 days to the gym every week...still am but now just using weights)

I hope this pain goes away :(