Energy Drinks

Options
arson714
arson714 Posts: 117 Member
Does anyone else have an issue with these? No matter what I do, I can't kick them (No carb Monster/Rockstars..mmmm). Anyone else have/had this problem?

Replies

• Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Not since switching to pre-Workout.

Now i'm dealing with a Meth addiction :P
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    My husband is hooked on them...I wish he would kick it. Gets expensive! :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    They should be named "stimulant" drinks because that's all they are. And caffeine is addicting, that's why it's hard to kick. Just try reducing the amount a little at a time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's the caffeine (just like I need my coffee to kick start my brain in the morning).....try cutting back gradually.
  • aggiehaylea13
    Options
    I am completely and utterly addicted to Sugar Free Red Bull. In the past, I have been able to smoke cigarettes and quit at the drop of a dime. But I cannot drop my caffeine addiction. I'm about to switch to a pre-workout and I'm hoping once I do this the SFRB addiction will decrease a little. But I know as soon as I see a frosty little silver and blue can I'll have trouble saying no. :sad:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I normally just use a pre workout like Jack3D (I still have a small stash of the old formula :P ) but I drink monster sometimes, too. I haven't found any reason to avoid them. I drank two monsters and a scoop of jack3d yesterday before my workout. If you want to stop drinking them just replace it with coffee. It's essentially the same thing.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I struggle not to drink a 16 oz Red Bull every day! It's challenging, but I find I can replace it with coffee and not drink as much, since it's not the same. It's so hard!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have a zero calorie Monster almost every single day.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My 27 yr old hubs landed in ER 3 times from heart palps due to energy drinks, so needless to say that was more than enough for us to kick them!
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My 27 yr old hubs landed in ER 3 times from heart palps due to energy drinks, so needless to say that was more than enough for us to kick them!

How many did he drink in how long? Holy cow..
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can drink sugar free red bulls, but a monster will send me to the ER. I have an irregular heart beat. I'm trying to kick the habit too, but I have a night job and I can't get anything done without a lot of caffeine. They also tax your liver, and have led to at least 6 deaths. The FDA is investigating energy drinks. Best to switch to coffee, a little actually benefits the body. I'm trying to kick my habit too! Good luck!

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/FDAGeneral/35512
  • Mandatha
    Mandatha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I refused to touch energy drinks for a long time, believing they were not good for you, full of sugar, caffeine, calories, and not much else. I'd heard about heart palpitations, sugar crashes, and all the other horror stories with Red Bull, Monster, etc, etc.

Then a friend of mine introduced me to XS Energy a couple of years ago--he gave me a couple to try. They sat in my fridge for almost a month because I grouped them in with all the other ones--the can said "Energy Drink", for crying out loud! Of course it was the same. And then I noticed the can also said "Zero Sugar, Zero Carbs" and "8 calories". What? I took one to work one morning. I hadn't slept at all well and I was worried about falling asleep on the job. No heart palpitations, no sugar crash... It actually tasted like root beer, like it said it would?!

So I started doing my research. XS Energy drinks were developed by a distance runner out of California because he didn't like the available selection on the market for his workouts. The company wasn't selling enough to survive, being so local, until Amway Corporation bought them out because their R&D had determined XS to be the "best" energy drink on the market, by their criteria. (Don't ask, I don't know what those criteria are. I just know as an $11 billion dollar company, if Amway doesn't make the best on the market, they have the financial power to buy the best on the market.) So, that is the only energy drink I will touch. In fact, I liked it so much, I started selling it.

TL;DR - Did some research, will only drink XS. Decided it'd be nice to make some money with it since I was drinking so much of it. Helps me keep up with the 2-year-old!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do a little research away from the forums. They are horrible for you and are unregulated by the FDA. I did extensive research during my BSN program and will never touch them - I didn't before but I sure as hell won't now.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I refused to touch energy drinks for a long time, believing they were not good for you, full of sugar, caffeine, calories, and not much else. I'd heard about heart palpitations, sugar crashes, and all the other horror stories with Red Bull, Monster, etc, etc.

Then a friend of mine introduced me to XS Energy a couple of years ago--he gave me a couple to try. They sat in my fridge for almost a month because I grouped them in with all the other ones--the can said "Energy Drink", for crying out loud! Of course it was the same. And then I noticed the can also said "Zero Sugar, Zero Carbs" and "8 calories". What? I took one to work one morning. I hadn't slept at all well and I was worried about falling asleep on the job. No heart palpitations, no sugar crash... It actually tasted like root beer, like it said it would?!

So I started doing my research. XS Energy drinks were developed by a distance runner out of California because he didn't like the available selection on the market for his workouts. The company wasn't selling enough to survive, being so local, until Amway Corporation bought them out because their R&D had determined XS to be the "best" energy drink on the market, by their criteria. (Don't ask, I don't know what those criteria are. I just know as an $11 billion dollar company, if Amway doesn't make the best on the market, they have the financial power to buy the best on the market.) So, that is the only energy drink I will touch. In fact, I liked it so much, I started selling it.

TL;DR - Did some research, will only drink XS. Decided it'd be nice to make some money with it since I was drinking so much of it. Helps me keep up with the 2-year-old!

Subtle advertising! lol How long have you been waiting for a question about energy drinks?
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

How many did he drink in how long? Holy cow..

Not many!! Sometimes one in a day would send him into much pain! He's very well now since kicking the habit, but wow it was scary.