When counting carbs.....

Options
Do I subtract the amount of fiber from my carb total? So say, if I ate 100g of carbs, and 30g of it was fiber, am I netting 70g of carbs?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Only subtract INSOLUBLE fiber, as it is not processed by your body, however, do not subtract SOLUBLE fiber, as it is processed by your body and does have calorie and carb value.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    How would I know the difference? I am asking because I went about 23g over my daily carb limit today, and a lot of it had to do with me eating chicken and bean chili!!!! I know the chili has a high carb count, but the beans have a lot of fiber in it. I don't want to freak out seeing all that red lol

But I had to have that chili and it was good lol

My diary is open as well.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you don't need a "carb limit", as long as you're in a caloric deficit you will lose weight
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    What nosebag said. As long as you got enough protein and fat, and you made your calorie target, you can kinda let the carbs fall where they may. There's something red in my macros every day, and yet I lost the weight and am making fairly steady (though slow) progress on recomping.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I subtract my fiber from my carbs to get net carbs...some people are lucky and just eat in a deficit and hit their enormous macros...unfortunately my body hates carbs and i try and keep mine between 70-100g a day. I'm not extreme low carb, but I don't eat half a loaf of bread either
  • Mytwogirls
    Mytwogirls Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes. Subtract Fiber from Carbs and your number should be very close.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Okay!!!!

Yeah, I try to stay away from the complex carbs and white starches. Too many fluctuations, and I find that I can eat a lot more food lol
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    pretty much.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    use this website for more precision.
    and don't eat 100 carbs. it's more like 20 net.