Moving into maintenance but still want to tone up

Options
2»

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Heavy ones. The results you seek will follow.

Dido!! Lift heavy always even females. You get better results faster and burn a lot more calories. I am still in weight loss mode but I have already begun the lifting and you grow to love it. There is always a body part sore and I have a hard time taking a rest day.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am all about staying the same weight but losing fat and gaining muscle.. I am on a personal two year commitment to get there.
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    PS: Muscle weighs more than fat. If you're trim and toned, looking the way you want to, does it matter what the scale says?

1 lbs of muscle = 1 lbs of fat. One lbs of muscle takes up less space than one lbs of fat.

You're 100% correct. I meant to say that muscle is denser than fat; hence, you can be smaller than the person next to you but weigh more.
  • walkwallfall
    walkwallfall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to title this but I reached my goal weight. I'm 125 at 5'5" which is IMO a good healthy weight. However, I still want to tone up and lose belly flab and such. I am very active and am on my feet most of the day, plus I exercise 5-6 times a week usually vigorously. MFP says to eat 1900+ to maintain but if I want to tone will eating that much make it hard to keep toning up? Or can I tone by simply exercising/weight training?

Your questions point out 2 different desires. Scale weight & lower body fat %.
    You are at your desired scale weight, but your body doesn't yet look the way you want it to. Because of this, I wouldn't say you are ready to enter maintenance mode. Maintenance suggests that you desire to keep things as they are. You don't. You're still looking for change. Being "toned" as you've used it here refers to the appearance of muscle definition. This will only be achieved by lowering your body fat %. Perhaps at this time its best to shift your focus away from a certain number on the scale, and see where that number is once your body has the look you desire, then focus on maintaining what you've achieved.
  • walkwallfall
    Options
    Not sure how to title this but I reached my goal weight. I'm 125 at 5'5" which is IMO a good healthy weight. However, I still want to tone up and lose belly flab and such. I am very active and am on my feet most of the day, plus I exercise 5-6 times a week usually vigorously. MFP says to eat 1900+ to maintain but if I want to tone will eating that much make it hard to keep toning up? Or can I tone by simply exercising/weight training?

You are at your desired scale weight, but your body doesn't yet look the way you want it to. Because of this, I wouldn't say you are ready to enter maintenance mode. Maintenance suggests that you desire to keep things as they are. You don't. You're still looking for change. Being "toned" as you've used it here refers to the appearance of muscle definition. This will only be achieved by lowering your body fat %. Perhaps at this time its best to shift your focus away from a certain number on the scale, and see where that number is once your body has the look you desire, then focus on maintaining what you've achieved.
    [/

I guess my worry is that im now going below what a healthy weight my dr said was for me. BUT I would like to decrease some more fat and tone more. So does that mean I need to keep eating with a lower calorie diet?
  • walkwallfall
    Options

[/

I guess my worry is that im now going below what a healthy weight my dr said was for me. BUT I would like to decrease some more fat and tone more. So does that mean I need to keep eating with a lower calorie diet?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I have to do different exercises to tone now that I'm thinner. I spent the weekend putting up a ceiling and insulation and all of a sudden I felt (not in a bad way) my abdominal muscles. My arms and legs had been in great shape but I hadn't been working my abs specifically and I have to. Especially since that's where the last blub came off and all those muscles are loose.

It's like after you have a baby. Those muscles also hold up your back.

I have a standing desk at work but was thinking about getting one of those pilates balls to sit on because they are supposed to strengthen your core muscles. I have one now for my kids on the computer.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Some interesting comments on here. I'm also at the point of maintenance now however, still want to work on my body shape. It is quite contradiction because i've read some comments where people say you're not at the point of maintenance if your not happy with your body and are still looking to reduce bf. Thing is I don't want to get any thinner I just want to reduce the BF on my tummy area a bit more.

So guess right now i'm working on upping my cals to maintenance and taking up strength training, i'm starting a strength class tomorrow for 6 weeks which shows women how to do it properly etc so looking forward to it. :)
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    you shouldnt pay too much attention to weigh, just look in the mirror to know if you are satisfied
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

[/

Not necessarily. I will refer you this calorie calculator that can help give you a better idea of how you can go about losing fat/gaining muscle. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    There's an option to select your goal. Gain muscle/lose fat is one of those options. This will give you a better idea not only of where your caloric intake should be, but also your macros.

Your desires match mine, and I've recently adjustment my intake and exercise strategy to achieve these goals. No results to offer yet, but there are plenty of folks here who've had success.
  • coffeepuff
    coffeepuff Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am loving this thread! So many fierce maintenance ladies lifting weights. I have found my people, lol. :D
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance range. I have MS. I use a walker/wheelchair. My partner got me an exercise bicycle. I didn't think I would be able to manage it, but with the help of my arms, I can. I started at 5 minutes and have decided to work up to 15 minutes a day. I am excited about the possibility of figuring out how to walk again. I am looking for a miracle.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @Walkwallfall

Daily caloric intake:
    12 x 125 = 1,500 calories
    Protein-250g
    Carbs-63g-125g-181g (cycle carbs) cycling your carbs will make your calorie intake fluctuate daily.
    Fat-31g
    Sugar no more than 45g
    Sodium-no more than 1,500mg

Don't use MFP calculations.

Week 1: 3X10*
    Week 2: 3X8*
    Week 3: 3X5*
    Week 4: 3X2*
    Week 5: 3X12*
    Week 6: 3X15*
    Week 7: 3X20*
    Week8: 3X25*
    *=drop set (makes 4th set)

Weeks 2-4 you are doing less reps but adding more weight.

Weeks 5-8 you are doing more reps but less weight.

A droop set: immediately after you finish your last set, rack the weight. Rest 10-15 seconds then pick the weight up till failure, immediately drop the weight by 20-40 percent and go to failure again.

whats the reasoning for so much protein? and why so little sodium?