How do I substitute oil?

Options
I personally love trout fried in oil but its to many calories. I have tried to bake, grill, BBQ it but nothing taste as good as fried in oil. I am not a fan of all fried foods. So fried food is not my problem. I also love making omelets with oil for 2 eggs I use 4 Tablespoons. I have given up on fried trout, and once a month I have my eggs. I use onion, tomatoes, and garlic when I make my eggs. I like my onions really brown.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    Butter.
  • candifeola
    candifeola Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    coconut oil...I put that ish on everything
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    Butter.

lol you're kidding me right
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What about fry light oil? Only 1 calorie a spray and cooks a good as regular oil!
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Use less oil or use a little bit of cooking spray
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The body needs oil - it's good for you and, you don't gain weight eating it. You just need to make sure you are picking oils that are healthy such as butter, coconut or olive oil. (A lot of people already made these suggestions.) Resources: www.westonaprice.org and www.wellnessmama.com (to name two).

Btw, it's the breads, grains, sugars and processed foods that put weight on.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to find a substitute just to save some calories (although I don't eat fried foods), but haven't. I've tried the spray ones but they are terrible and burn really fast. I guess you'll just have to learn to make room for it or learn to cook with less oil...:cry:
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray, benecol/earth balance (those might be similar in calories though, I know they make a light benecol), or use water or broth! I have started using veggie broth to saute vegetables in. It would probably work with fish as well- maybe wrap it in a tin foil packet with some broth or lemon juice and bake it. Or just try to cut back on the amount of oil you use. Olive oil and other oils with healthy fats are good for you in moderation (since they are calorie dense). You can probably get away with using less oil than you used to, so you could play around with that but not give up your favorite dishes!
  • wishing_for_skinny
    Options
    a tiny bit of olive oil spread on a non stick pan is fine! depending on what your cooking, if you use a non stick pan you may not need any kind of oil or anything :)
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use a mister filled with extra light olive oil (brand name "Misto"). Doesn't take much to fry a few eggs.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can get good results with much smaller amounts of oil.

For onions you can get away with 1tsp and still make them brown and golden, but just lower the temperature so they don't burn and cook for longer. If they start to stick add a tbsp of water.

You can fry almost anything in a really good non stick pan either dry fried or with an oil mister, just don't turn it up so hot it burns.

For the fish you could try spraying with an oil mister or brushing with a little oil, bake in the oven and finish under a hot grill.
    I have an air fryer which i recommend, I've not been able to get crispy chicken using only a tiny amount of oil any other way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    a tiny bit of olive oil spread on a non stick pan is fine! depending on what your cooking, if you use a non stick pan you may not need any kind of oil or anything :)

This!^ With a good quality non-stick pan, a little oil goes a long way. Eggs will stick when the heat is too high ..... use a little oil & turn the heat down.