Vegetables (non starch).. do you count them or not?

Options
colleeg
colleeg Posts: 13 Member
So im wondering the non starch vegetables do you count them or leave them out of your daily calories? a Programe like weightwatchers will give non starch veg free points, I know they are little in calories but just wanting to know peoples thoughts.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If you put it in your mouth, log it.
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I generally do count them.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I sure count them.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I would count them, but then again, I count everything I eat/drink, even if its 0 calories
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup. I log everything, even things that are listed as no calories, so that way much reports are the most accurate.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I generally do, unless it's something like 1/2 of a slice of cucumber that my daughter shares with me. They have vitamins, fiber, etc. and I am trying to keep track of that in addition to calories.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially if you get them at a restaurant where they're invariably covered in butter and salt. Even when I make them at home I log them to track my nutrients.
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Count them but don't go overboard on eating them and try to eat less calories because of it. Tricking your body by putting a lot of mass inside it without there actually being caloric sufficiency is a crime in my books :P The only things I don't bother too much on tracking are spices and condiments like lemon juice. The amount is so small it's really insignificant to count.
  • LoveHummingbirds
    Options
    I count everything.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    They provide energy, protein, carbs, fiber, sugar... COUNT IT! Doesnt matter how much energy a food supplies it still matters.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Count them. It gets the nutritional data right and that is important to me. I left my veggies at home today and didn't get enough calories as a result. (I munch on them at my desk as snacks)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    I do count them. I may not measure them as precisely as other food. For example a cup of spinach is like 7 calories or something like that, so if I'm over/ under by a little bit, it not a big deal.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Count them, because it is also fun to see how things like greens can have a lot of protein (per calorie, more than steak!)
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^

That is the best way to make me accountable for where I am at.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^This. I count every single crumb that I stick into my pie hole.
  • ret114
    ret114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know that Weight Watchers lets you have as many vegetables as you want as "free" calories, but here it is a good idea to log in everything that you eat, even the vegetables. The more honest you are with yourself about logging in everything that you eat, the more successful you will be. The discipline of accountability is the reason so many people continue to see great results with this app. Your question was a great one, and I'm sure many others have wondered exactly the same thing about logging vegetables. Keep up the great work! I wish you continued success as you head toward your goal.:smile:
  • colleeg
    colleeg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ret114 for your support, you are all so right about being accountable for every mouthful!
    I get so nervous when im so close to my daily limit, i think oh what if im hungry and i want a snack but I will be over, so that got me thinking of weight W and free foods. but nothing really is free hey!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I count it