I felt "bingey" and overate grapes and air popped popcorn.

Options
Could have been worse (at least it wasn't buckets of ice cream) but I don't like that behavior. I am on 1200 calories and sometimes it just feels so low. I psychologically felt like I needed a big pig out. Trying not to punish myself but feeling some regret for falling into a binge mentality. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day.

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low.

What are your stats? If eating below BMR, this probably won't be the only time your need for food becomes overwhelming.
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories for a while, and some days I felt fine and some days I felt constantly hungry! You can move up the calories, I did to 1350, because eating 1200 at 5'9 and 170pounds is probably not the bestss! But that doesn't mean that you HAVE to eat 1200 so you could theoretically eat 1200 calories but mentally still have 150+ calories. But grapes and popcorn psssht don't even worry about it I two months ago onced binged so hard that I got sick, oreos, waffles, chicken tenders. Let me tell you...haha it was bad.
  • hml_rachel
    Options
    Don't worry about it. At least you ate grapes which of course are healthy for you and popcorn which is one of the better "snacky" foods.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Maybe it won't hurt? And I think once you get it over with it'll be out of your system. And why not have fun? Go have a girls night out or date night with your BF/husband. Eat at a nice restaurant, go see a movie and maybe do some shopping. I try to have a girls night every few weeks where I can just have fun and not care about counting calories BUT at the same time keep track of how full you are. It's been a great success with me with just thinking about how full I am, how much I've eaten and how much more I can eat before I feel full.

Good luck :)
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low.

What are your stats? If eating below BMR, this probably won't be the only time your need for food becomes overwhelming.

Agreed. The 1200 cals is a hot-button issue on MFP, but if you're still hungry and you feel more tired than normal, you can probably up your calories. I do this and it works for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you are already very small 1200 is probably too low which is resulting in you being overly hungry. Figure out your BMR and eat over it.
  • dredaye9
    Options
    I binge ate 2400 calories today
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Exercise more so you can eat more, and don't feel guilty about the food. I shamelessly have stood in the kitchen until I made a pound bag of grapes disappear (within my budget). And yanno what? Those grapes tasted GOOD.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    What is your average weekly weight loss at 1200?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories and sometimes it just feels so low.

That's because it is.

Also, that is not a binge.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories and sometimes it just feels so low. I psychologically felt like I needed a big pig out.
    Looks like you've identified the problem right there. 1200 calories a day is too low for a lot of people, both physiologically and psychologically. Try upping your intake a bit until you find a level where you are still losing weight, but are not feeling that you need to binge.
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies!!! I really appreciate it. I am running out to work now but will read through these links and thoughts in a short while. Thank you again!!
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You guys are great. I really appreciate it. I am 5'5'' and need to lose about 40 more lbs. I set my calories at 1200 in order to expedite things but perhaps it is too harsh for me. I am making it on 12-1250 cals most days but it is hard. I may up it to 1400 or so and see how I feel. It's not worth feeling so deprived. When I am worried about having another 1/2 piece of fruit because i am on a 1200 cal plan, I should know it is a bit extreme!!! Thanks again!!!!!
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started out at 1200 cal too, with your logic, that I will lose weight faster. I found it unsustainable and I was exhausted all the time...too tired to climb the stairs even. I posted about it and everyone told me the same thing -- 1200 is too low! I increased to 1380 M-F and on the weekends I eat more, between 1500-1900 calories. It's sustainable and I'm still losing weight pretty quickly.