Low carbers I seek your advise!!!

Options
pjsdj
pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
Tell me everything!! How many carbs do you consider "low". What's your fav snacks? Fav recipies? To to tricks that help keep you successful?

Replies

• 0110Charlotte
    0110Charlotte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I generally still eat loads of fruits & veggies even though they do contain a fair amount of carbs.

However, rice, white potato, pasta, oats/cereal and bread is VERY limited. I probably limit myself to AT MOST 1 thin slice of bread OR 1/3 cup rice OR 1/2 cup pasta OR 1 small potato OR 1/2 cup cereal, 1/4 cup oats. I allow myself ONE of these servings per day and generally stick to fruits, veggies and lean protein.

I dont count my carbs, per se, but I limit these items mainly because they make me feel very bloated.

Favourite snacks:
    Apple
    Nectarine
    Berries (any kind)
    Pineapple
    Plum
    Egg
    Veggie Sticks (carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers)
    Greek Yogurt

Chili, although it does have carbs, is an awesome meal to avoid Starchy Carbs (the ones I try to limit).

Cook a pack of Lean ground Chicken, Turkey or Extra Lean Ground Beef with Extra Virgin Olive oil (1 Tbsp) and the following spices (according to your taste):
    Salt
    Pepper
    Crushed Chillies & Red Peppers
    Chili Powder
    Cayenne Pepper

Add 1 pepper or every colour, chopped
    1 pack of mushrooms, chopped
    1 stalk of celery (finely chopped)
    1 can of Kidney beans (or more if you like them)
    Let all this cook through.
    Jar of Spaghetti Sauce
    1 tbsp Brown sugar

Simmer on low for 30 minutes or in a slow cooker for a few hours.

Have about a cup of this and you're getting loads of vitamins, fibre, protein and the spices help rev of your metabolism!

Hope this helps!!
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I consider low carbs to be around 30 a day. Meats and cheese typically have no carbs. I would suggest getting your carbs from vegetables and healthy fats (avacodos and nuts), instead of butter, oils and mayo. Keep in mind net carbs are different from actual carbs. Pinterest has a nice selection of low carb recipes. If you are in ketosis you are eating low carbs.
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I consider low carbs to be around 30 a day. Meats and cheese typically have no carbs. I would suggest getting your carbs from vegetables and healthy fats (avacodos and nuts), instead of butter, oils and mayo. Keep in mind net carbs are different from actual carbs. Pinterest has a nice selection of low carb recipes. If you are in ketosis you are eating low carbs.
    Is that 30 net carbs? My tortilla has 13 g carbs and 7 g fiber.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Is that 30 net carbs? My tortilla has 13 g carbs and 7 g fiber.

Usually, people use net carbs.

I'm between 20-30g net carbs per day.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You want to go by actual carbs. Not net.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Also try looking through the Low-carb groups posts:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

There you will find a lot of good info!

What is considered "low" can vary person to person, depending on their needs, activity level, metabolism, etc.

Like 0110Charlotte, I mostly stick with meats and veggies, and some fruits - if it's a leaner protein (chicken/turkey breast, fish), I'll add some healthy fats to my meal: nuts, avocado, coconut, olives, cheese, etc.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

That's incorrect. The goal of low carb eating is to control blood glucose spikes. At very low carb levels (like the ones we're referring to), the eventual goal is nutritional ketosis, which your body will move to as a reaction to a scarcity of glucose.

Given that fiber is indigestible and does not affect blood glucose, it's perfectly appropriate to count net carbohydrate intake. You are concerned only with those carbohydrates that get converted to glucose.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

That's incorrect. The goal of low carb eating is to control blood glucose spikes. At very low carb levels (like the ones we're referring to), the eventual goal is nutritional ketosis, which your body will move to as a reaction to a scarcity of glucose.

Given that fiber is indigestible and does not affect blood glucose, it's perfectly appropriate to count net carbohydrate intake. You are concerned only with those carbohydrates that get converted to glucose.

nvm... not worth my time ^
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm going low-carb right now. I've done Atkins in the past, and I felt hungry and dissatisfied. What works for me is to just eat fruit and veggies as I normally would (few servings of each, each day), and limit my bread, pasta, and rice. Today I actually had a slice of bread with guacamole for lunch, but I don't normally do that (but it's Dave's Killer Bread, so loaded with nutrients and I felt like I needed it). I'm not great at counting calories, so I just kind of guesstimate when I log everything into my MFP tracker. I also usually have a handful of dark chocolate chips at night too. And a glass of wine once or twice a week. I know if I limit myself too much, I'll either get really hungry and cranky, or I'll end up just giving up.
  • jobrian1984
    Options
    IMO, Low carbs would be 1g per pound of body weight to as low as .25g per pound of body weight.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have a strict limit of 300g per day, unless I exercise that day.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

nvm... not worth my time ^

That's because you'd be wrong.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    For me, low is anything under 100 g. a day. Being diabetic, the lower, the better for me.

I buy sugar free candy for a treat and sugar free jell-o. I eat popcorn in moderation. Beef jerky is good....anything that is heavy on the protein. Cottage cheese, Laughing Cow cheese. Sometimes I will even roll a slice of deli ham up in a slice of swiss cheese.

I make a jell-0 pudding out of sugar free orange jell-o and plain non fat yogurt. Only 4 g. of carbs in a 1/2 cup serving. A nice dessert.

ETA- I don't use net carbs because that only tempts me to eat more.