women's pants sizes, so frustrating

Options
Today I wore a pair of 16 Capri jeans, they are falling off me. I literally can slide them off completely buttoned and zipped. Went shopping, tried on 4 pairs of jeans, size 14 in 4 different brands and they were all way too tight. Makes no sense, frustrated!

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My husband always asks why they aren't like men's where they just list the waist size and length. I used to be a size 24, lost 25 pounds and now I wear a 22, but there are several size 24s that I need to lose another 10-15 pounds to get in.

I've found that Macy's Style & Co. pants are either cut smaller or their waists are much smaller than other brands. Unfortunately I'm not a pear-shaped gal, so if they don't fit my waist, I can't wear them!
  • birdsitter1
    Options
    Yes. Men's clothing sizes seem so much more consistent!
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Today I wore a pair of 16 Capri jeans, they are falling off me. I literally can slide them off completely buttoned and zipped. Went shopping, tried on 4 pairs of jeans, size 14 in 4 different brands and they were all way too tight. Makes no sense, frustrated!

www.evanity.com/jeans.html‎

Great Jeans measure yourself these will fit perfect best jeans I have ever found
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You just have to go with a brand that fits you, in whatever, seemingly arbitrary size fits you. I struck out with Capri pants today too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes. Men's clothing sizes seem so much more consistent!

That's because most men are more straight up and down than most women are. We're worth making the extra effort to get a good fit.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I'm over it. Skirts and dresses everyday.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 3 or 5, depending on the pant. But what REALLY sucks is how everything is catered to "average-height" people...which is understandable, but it's still frustrating.

I' only 5'2", so I'm constantly pulling my pants up because the legs are so long. It's sad.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try the Levis jeans curve id, they have them at Macy's. Find your style based on body shape. Love them, and have just been wearing them as I am going down the size list.

http://us.levi.com/quiz/index.jsp
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    i agree, there are way to many vanity sizes out there. I just judge my size by the brand i own the most jeans by which is old navy and regardless of vanity sizes if i stick to the same brand and i went down a size i went down a size period. The cut of the pant can obviously make a big difference to, but i really recommend old navy jeans as they are flattering to all shapes and sizes. Old navy also had petite length jeans.
  • savagedaisy
    savagedaisy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This literally just happened to me. I bought 2 pair of jeans in the same size, same kind, etc...and they both fit differently. It's very frustrating!
  • amvanwin
    amvanwin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in a 16 and I've lost almost 25 lbs. I went shopping because my pants were too big and ended up buying two new pairs both size 16. I was discouraged but they look great and I figure I stretched out my old pants by gaining weight slowly and still stuffing myself into them!
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really can't worry about the number on the tag, each brand appears to have their own sizing chart, and even within a brand different styles may require different sizes on the same person. My closet has everything from a 2 to an 8, and I wear all of them. Also with jeans, you have to remember that they stretch out quite a bit once they're worn a few times. You've gotta buy them a tiny bit snug or you'll end up with low-riders!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was in a 16 and I've lost almost 25 lbs. I went shopping because my pants were too big and ended up buying two new pairs both size 16. I was discouraged but they look great and I figure I stretched out my old pants by gaining weight slowly and still stuffing myself into them!
    yes i totally get what you are saying. The same thing has happened to me. Those damn stretchy jeans can be the devil in disguise.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on pants. LOL

I am 5'9", wear anywhere from a 20 - 24 (depending on the pant), have no butt, big tummy, and popeye calves. If I get them to fit one place, they don't fit another place (fit at the waist, but too short, etc)

I have a few pair of women's jeans for cute shirts or to wear with cute shoes, but I also have some Men's Jeans I wear when I'm dressed in T's and Sneakers because those jeans are long enough and somehow don't make my butt look as flat.

When it is time for me to go bottoms shopping, my boyfriend cringes because he knows I will be upset, and then lets me cry on his shoulder when I get frustrated.
  • table19
    table19 Posts: 8
    Options
    I feel like I'm always in between sizes, I hate clothes shopping! Just recently the path from 14 to 12 felt like there should have been 2 more sizes in between! Anything that fits my waist perfect is baggy in the legs and forget about skinny jeans ever buttoning.. :sad:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm over it. Skirts and dresses everyday.

Amen and halleluiah.
  • PammyGift
    PammyGift Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Somehow I've realized that when you go from size 16's to 14's the sizes change. You might have gone from "women's" sizes to reg sizes. The difference can sometimes be unfair. You finally lose enough to get out of the "fat " pants since they are too big only to step into the same size at a non plus size store.
    Congrats on the loss. In no time I'm sure you'll need the real 14's or 12's.
    I'm with the previous person go to sizes like men's...easier and more consistent
  • jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OMG! I hate this! I'm the same way - i'm down 19 lbs today (yay) and my size 18 pants are literally just falling off... but when i try on my stand-by size 16's (different brand) i can barely get them on.

My plan now is to find one brand that fits and try to follow those sizes down.

Until then, skirts and dresses.

Ahhh!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I hear you, even when I was thin, I told people in my family, don't buy me pants, "I'm a 8 in this brand, 10 in this, L in that."
    You can look at just "L" on exercise pants and see such varying sizes, some tight in the leg, some baggy, some with a smaller waist. It's so frustrating. I hate trying things on so if I find a pair of jeans that fit, now I order online (if they are on sale) more.

I had a pair of pants be large enough for my daughter to say "Get some new ones Mom, they look awful" I bought one size down and could barely zipper them....another style/brand, might have been okay or a smaller version of the old ones.

That's why love sweat pants...but then they are deceiving!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have pants in sizes 6, 8 and 10 and they all fit. It's weird! I don't mind the actual number I just would like it to be consistent so I didn't have to try on so many different sizes! I've also reached the point that I'm having problems with everything fitting except the waistband being too big.