Do you have a rest day?

Options
I have read, and been told, this so many times how important it is to give your body a rest day when working out. This allows your muscles to heal which causes them to build. I have heard of some people who exercise 3 days and then rest 1, others work out 4 and then rest one.

What do you do?

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I always have at least one rest day a week sometimes up to three. I do exercise that is very intense and often have a lot of niggles and sore spots. I basically just listen to my body and take rest days when needed.

More generally, I find that it is possible to go without a rest day if the exercise you are doing is varied enough and/or of a lower intensity. As a rule, at least one day a week is a good start. For me a rest day could include something light like a walk, bike ride or pilates.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    I do alternate muscle groups. One day do legs, next day do arms, then back to legs the following day, etc. Generally, I do take a day off from exercising- either Friday or Sunday.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I take 2-3 rest days per week.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    When cutting I train 3x a week, rest 4

when bulking I train 4x a week, rest 3
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fridays are my rest day. If I'm tired beyond just being lazy and unmotivated I will take a day off too but usually just stick with Fridays :)
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. When I'm tired I take a break. Don't have a set day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I take a Rest day once a week normally on Sundays.... Best of Luck
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mon, Wed, Fri: Calisthenics and dumbbell workout.
    Sun, Tue, Thu: 45 min - 1 hour, brisk walking.
    Saturday: Rest
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day once per week and add an extra rest day if I've had a lot of long shifts during the week. I work on my feet waiting tables so sometimes I can count that as exercise if I work a 12 hour shift.
  • iara333
    iara333 Posts: 18
    Options
    Last summer I went 6 weeks without a rest day but I've got absolutely no idea how and wouldn't advise it either! I hate taking rests but week I'm going to have 2 days where I just do a body balance/easy yoga class to give myself a break. But I'm a student on my summer holidays so I don't need energy for work etc :)
  • hml_rachel
    Options
    No I don't take a rest day unless my body feels sore or I'm sick. I do strength training 3x a week but I use light weights. I do hiit cardio 3x a week and a more low impact cardio on the other day. There have been times though that I just feel really tired the next day and decide to take a break. I don't plan my rest days just take them when I think I need them.

By the way I'm a student and currently it's summer so I'll probably exercise less once I go back to school. I plan on doing strength training 3x a week and hiit 2x a week with lower impact cardio on the other days.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Today is my rest day. I wkout six days rotating cardio and weights and rest one day.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes,, my rest day is 1 to 2days

and some people exercise everyday like doing cardio

but lifting everyday is not good ,,
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Normally I will workout Mon through Fri, rest Sat, then workout Sunday.

I am following the Les Mills Pump schedule so I have been taking an extra rest day when it tells me to. However, for the workout schedules that offer only 1 rest day... that is how I do it. :bigsmile:
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    YES! Rest days are super important. You need to give your body time to heal and grow.

When I was doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, I use Saturday and Sunday as my rest days. When I worked out independently, I only worked out three times per week (and every other Saturday).

Use your rest days to either relax or do light workouts...some stretching and yoga. Best of luck!
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "true noobies", who just got off the couch after 6 years, can pretty much do ANYTHING for the first 6 months, and get better endurance, strength, weight loss and looks.

"beginners" (which can last for years) don't work out enough or hard / intense enough. They workout, for hours and hours over the course of a year, and don't ever really tax themselves enough to see or make gains. The weights they use today are not much more than what they used 2 years ago.

"intermediate" (which can last for years) are very very often in a state of overtraining. They're more fit, and stronger than the stuck beginners, but, they also are most often stuck, not seeing their weights go up or times improve for months on end, and, they often will have small injuries here or there that interrupt their training, or that they try to train through but the injury keeps them from making progress. MOST OFTEN THEY ARE OVERTRAINED working out too often, without enough rest.

ADVANCED athletes have learned how to push themselves hard enough to make gains beyond the beginners, but, also, have learned how NOT to over train, how to workout "the right amount".

You're body needs to recover. If you are in a positive calorie state (eating a ton) trying to gain weight, you may need less rest (given same volume of workouts) and may need MORE rest if you are in a calorie deficit.

Frequency of working out each bodypart also is a factor. IF ALL YOU DO is benchpress heavy every workout, I'm pretty sure benching 4 times a week (every other day) is too much, you'll overtrain, and likely get injured. And that's with 3 or 4 rest days a week.

If you are doing 2 hour marathon high intensity sessions, you likely will need more rest days than smaller, 45 minute to an hour sessions.

A few people here have described some different "splits", e.g. Monday = back, Tuesday = legs, Wednesday = chest, Thursday = Rest, then repeat, Friday = back, Sat = legs, Sun = Chest, Monday = Rest, and so on. These types of splits allow you to workout more often, and still get in enough recovery time.

What do I do? Varies on my "real life", Fall of 2012 I was doing 3 hour sessions just Sat and Sun ... but that's not optimal. I try to lift heavy weights 3 times a week, and do "calesthenics" (similar to crossfit type stuff, I guess) 2 days a week, and rest 2 days a week.

I also try to take AT LEAST 4 weeks off a year, usually one week a quarter. I find that 5 days a week workouts, with two rest days a week, I, personally, still overtrain and can come back stronger after a week off.

This is totally an individual thing. I have trained with guys that can lift heavy 6 days a week for weeks on end. I can't, I need more rest.

GOOD LUCK!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My rest day is usually on Sundays...I work out 6-days a week alternating between strength and cardio.

8488541.png
  • dawnoverb
    Options
    I haven't taken a rest day yet. I am afraid if I take a day off, my routine will be disrupted and I will fall off the wagon.. So, for now, I will just keep doing what I do:)
  • hunnichow
    hunnichow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im absolutely dying to know what cutting & bulking is!
  • riginthering
    Options
    I have a low-impact day, but when I get into the groove of working out, I feel like a jerk if I completely take the day off. Usually low-impact day involves biking with my dog (she pulls me most of the way) or taking long walks with my family and dogs.